Discussion good novel that you dont like

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by grish99, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi
    I'm making a social experiment (not realy) and want to ask you guys
    what novel you realy hate or just dont like but you can't say this novel is hot garbage
    *and you can put one thing that make you say "how this garbage is so popular" to satisfy the rant god*
    lets start with me and the novels that I dont like but see how somebody may like this
    reverend insanity-I was trying to read this like 3 times (get to 130 chapters) every time nothing realy happend in terms of plot and the mc try to brainwash me every other chapter but the novel solid dont have young masters left and right so its must be somewhat good
    Experimental log of the crazy lich-the humor seal the deal for this novel (260 chapters with 3-4 thing that made me say wow that good isnt helping) but if something happens that make me say "wow its good" its good
    A will eternal-I realy like this novel just dont like to read it to much fillers where mc braging (760 chapters, the novelty must struck me to read half the novel)
    Ze Tian Ji-slow as mad snail chapters release dont like that but if you can get by this then its good i quess (less than 100 chapters)
    novel that I hate and dont know how can read this
    Library of oheavens path-total repetitive face slaping cancer that jump in library...repetitively.regret every chapter that I read (more than 300)

2. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, you took all the ones I wanted to mention

philosopher17, grish99 and otaku31 like this.
  3. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry to disappointed you, because every novel that i hated, definitely garbage from my viewpoint.

mir and otaku31 like this.
  4. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Poison Genius Consort.

Most of the reviews are 4-5 stars, and everyone loves it. I really think I read a completely different story compared to them lol. I thought the MC was a pushover (which is odd to me, because a lot of transmigration novels have super-overpowered and fearless MCs). I don't expect the MC to murder everyone who pisses her off, but damn, I expect her to be able to defend herself from assholes at least. And speaking of assholes, the ML is the pinnacle asshole of all assholes. A lot of the reviewers are saying that he "melts" after 200 chapters in, but I don't even feel that much interest in the story to suffer through 200 chapters more. (Does he even grovel after treating the MC like a piece of shit?)

I'm also seriously eyeballing one of its tags, "Protagonist Falls in Love First." I don't think I can respect an MC who can't even respect herself, by falling for a terrible ML like that... :blobcat_hyper:

Anyway, I can't call it garbage because it does seem like the novel does have a plot and political intrigue. Plus, a bunch of people seem to like it a lot. I'd probably like it too, if I didn't hate the ML so much.

Sabruness and I_am_Chinadian like this.
  5. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Endo and Kobayashi’s Live Commentary on the Villainess - It's really good. The only reason I lost interest in it so many times is because of the perspective changes. Like, there are a lot of love stories going on in this novel. So far there's three; the prince and the villainess, the original heroine and a capture target, and also the two commentators.

They are all good romantic stories in their own right. I would enjoy them if they were by themselves, some probably prefer those side couples over the main couple...but it just feels like a cliffhanger within the story if the perspectives change so much like that. The main couple hasn't reached a consensus yet, you're just getting interested and right then it forces you to focus on the love story of another couple.
    I mean, no matter how good it is you still can't focus on something else like that when you're curious about the other, and that just diminishes the experience for me. I can't even skip either cause I'll miss out on some important plot points.

I really wish they'd just focus on one couple and have the others progress in side stories or whatever. Or maybe progress the others' romance without shifting the PoV from the prince at all. I would be happier with either.

6. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    For book novels and not web novels Game of Thrones is actually on that list for me. (never watched the show either BTW) tried to read it, the author's voice just bugged me. A lot of time it's the problem the written voice or just the way the words are constructed. As for web novels... "ascent of The bookworm" maybe. At least I think that's the title.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    philosopher17 and GabeZhul like this.
  7. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial World. The fights and lvl up is to die for. But i was spoiled the romance is shit (like separation of thousand of years). Dropped it becaue of that.

firefox1234 and Sabruness like this.
  8. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    The Sound and the Fury - I wouldn't say that it's garbage but I just don't like it

otaku31 likes this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Otoburi. The novel is great at the start as a great comedy Otome Game Reincarnation and the author did a great job at fleshing characters out.

Then a bunch of volumes later, they start focusing more and more on the plot and less and less on the characters, to the point some of the character's worries became plain ridiculous and obvious they're pointless.

It's definitely not garbage, but the latter chapters lost a lot of quality, which ended up making me drop it.

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm
    Invisible Dragon for me

strayCat0 likes this.
  11. rosie94hrpr

rosie94hrpr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of the novels I dislike start out good, then devolve partway through so I end up giving up on them. I ended up giving up on The Novel's Extra even though I enjoyed the story because I felt we were going around in circles and not making any progress. I don't get why people think Solo Leveling is so great either. I read it and thought it was just OK and honestly kinda boring, but apparently some people find it interesting so idk.

mir and strayCat0 like this.
  12. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    Shini Yasui Kōshaku Reijō to Shichi-nin no Kikōshi
    - 4.7 rating
    - the synopsis sounds right up my alley

But...

I get an aneurysm reading it. It's barely readable and desperately needs editing. The story itself can be relatively complex, and it feels like I'm spending 90% brain power trying to decipher the English and comprehend what the hell is going on.

One Night, One Day, One Year, One Lifetime
    - 4.7 rating

Yeah, I felt nothing from this one. I don't mind tragedy, and I love myself a good tearjerker, but this one felt slightly hollow.

13. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Cook of the mercenary
    it’s a simple slice of life cooking enjoyable generic story with dense Mc and cliche heartwarming characters but the author keep putting POV that is not interesting. It’s literally the same thing happening with some character commenting. No rerangement of storyline or anything special. And he does this after every arc or so. Repetitive af.

Life:a black and white film
    Entertaining, really good romance story of a fling turn to adventure action thriller serious romance. The male lead is very mysterious and some of his actions are questionable. The female lead is interesting to read. Only problem is the translator keep trying to reassure the reader of the male lead’s actions. At first i was fine with it, I was entertained and curious of the male leads mysterious actions but the translator continuous reassurance became increasingly annoying and ruined the suspense. It wasn’t t/n commenting type, it was a simple before or after chapter commentating.

Burriko
    Dense clumsy airhead, fluffy misunderstanding light read. Except she seems to lose her brain cells along the way and go full retard

mir likes this.
  14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    That started out soo well but then it became a burning dumpster fire of garbage.
    I totally agree. I lost interest in PGC primarily because ML was a total shitheaded scumbag (then again i vaguely remember quite a few male characters being the same). If you cut out the romance and associated nonsense while making the MC herself more competent and OP, you'd have a great story of plotting and intrigue.

MW could have used a bit more romance, less separation and a bit less dragginess. i dropped it once the problems became hard to bear.

Ancient Strengthening Technique:
    - The first 100 chapters were great but author lost their way after that. If it had continued with the same quality as the first hundred chapters, it would be an awesome story. Somehow still strangely popular though.

Dragon Marked War God:
    - Same as with AST. Started out so well then just went downhill in quality. Strangely very highly rated though.

Emperor's Domination:
    - In the abstract, the concept and build of the story (at least in the first world) is great. The execution, however, is crappy and it feels like author just chucked in standard tropes but didnt bother to make then work with the overall story. Protag is.. strange and the harem is one of the worst i've seen. It's considered a top class novel by some (somehow).

mir likes this.
  15. RAGA

RAGA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a big fan of Release that Witch. I mean, I like most aspects of it well enough EXCEPT for the romance/harem (I HATE the harem genre) and the character development for most of the witches and later development of the MC.

I just wanted to read something like Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter (I guess a kingdom/territory-building novel), in which the MC doesn't have any actual OP abilities beyond a great sense of logic and analytical skills (maybe has vast knowledge in specialized areas), as well as a decent ability to negotiate and utilize existing resources. I also wanted to read something that either does a good job in the character development of the love interest so I'd be interested in them by themselves or just excludes romance altogether. Because the romance aspect was so negligible at the start, I was content to skim over the main romances between the MC and the fire witch (she's too much of a flat, boring character imho--actually, they all are), but then the sister arc happened and it started going downhill to the point that it was enough to drop it.

strayCat0 likes this.
  16. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The World Online

I honestly like the novel but dropped it when the mc rejected the girl (forgot her name xd) it is also the reason why I started to avoid non harem novels because rejection make me feel sick.

Lol 乁( ⁰͡ Ĺ̯ ⁰͡ ) ㄏ乁( ⁰͡ Ĺ̯ ⁰͡ ) ㄏ乁( ⁰͡ Ĺ̯ ⁰͡ ) ㄏ

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Grandmaster Strategist
    I don't really hate this novel, but I do think that it is just mediocre. On face value, it's pretty cool: a book about political intrigue and military strategy. Where the protagonist is weakly and has to rely on other people to do the fighting for him. This setup seems to have lots of things going for it, so what's wrong? Well, the problem is that this kind of story is actually fairly common, and there are many that better.

"The Grandmaster Strategist" doesn't have a particularly good world, and the politics aren't all that compelling. The protagonist is a cold fish, and most of the other characters aren't particularly better. There's just a lot better out with a similar premise, and the only reason I imagine this book is so highly rated is because those better books don't get translated so it seems a lot more unique in comparison.

18. Kuraichan

Kuraichan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    EER (everyone else is a returnee?) i read it when i just started reading novels and was still green and enjoyed it greatly (︶︿︶) and now i look back everything was illogical and the establishment of that weird harem with MC's non-logical thinking is (it was like he was pitying them so he added them to his harem ) killing me whenever i look back and i still CAN NOT FORGET the extras oh my i am so dead (つд⊂)! (i don't know was eer popular? Whatever i alredy written it so not gonna erase it (。・ˇ_ˇ・。))

otaku31 and rosie94hrpr like this.
  19. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine is pretty much only Ze Tian Ji. I like the story, but it's so god damn slow.

Ziavory and otaku31 like this.
  20. Ziavory

Ziavory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Savage divinity.
    I just can't stand Rain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.