Recommendations Good World Building

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by gingingin1605, May 10, 2023.

1. gingingin1605

gingingin1605 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am looking for a novel like A Will Eternal, Perfect World, emperor's domination which has beautiful world building. i want a beautiful and large world full of mysteries, dangers and treasures.
    please consider these tags while suggesting.
    Tags: Male MC, big harem, Chinese
    Exclude Tags: Tragedy

Edit: i dont why people focused only on ED. i was refering to the setting and worlds built in ED, Perfect World, A Will Eternal. not the novels, story or characters themselves.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  2. ArcadiaMagus

ArcadiaMagus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Big harem...?

3. Sellychi

Sellychi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a substantial amount of ED so I kinda get what you mean when you want a big harem but just like the reply above Imma throw a squinty side eye at the mention of both beautiful world building and big harem on the same sentence.

Well, when it comes to awesome world building I will always slap [ Overlord ] in here. Can't say it has a big harem but there is no lack of (one sided) love interest / worship so I guess this would tickle your fancy as well.

4. forgottenarrow

forgottenarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity (hiatus, translation is caught up to the original): my favorite webnovel by far. I could talk for hours about the magic system, the 3 million years+ of history and the countless ancient schemes that have brought the world to its current state. The world building is spread out over 2200+ chapters. It’s really well done. You think it’s all so simple right until you try to explain it. The world is also very unique and different from anything else I’ve read. The comment sections are fun to read and full of theorizing and speculation. Even though the webnovel is on permanent hiatus (Chinese censors banned the webnovel), I personally think it’s still worth it.

Warlock of the Magus World (completely translated): the inferior version of Reverend Insanity, I still liked it a lot. About halfway through, the author lives up to his pen name (the plagiarist) by finding a way to jam the forgotten realms from DnD into the story and combine its lore with the rest of the story’s world building. I personally enjoyed that part of the story a lot.

Kumo Desu Ga Nani Ka (webnovels completely translated, the last English light novel is coming in a month or so) In terms of world building, I think this is my personal favorite take on the Japanese Isekai genre. The anime was pretty bad, but the webnovels and light novels are phenomenal. It starts out as a fairly standard story, but I love how everything ties together in the end.

Release that Witch (completely translated): probably my favorite Chinese Isekai (technically Reverend Insanity is also an Isekai, but it doesn’t read like one). A skilled modern day engineer dies and transmigrates into the body of the foppish Prince Roland. In this world, witches and magic are real. By combining his knowledge of modern engineering and the magic of the witches, this is the story of how he builds an idyllic and strong kingdom that can stand up against other nobles of the kingdom, other kingdoms, the church, the witches and other dangerous supernatural threats. I really enjoyed reading about the politics of the different kingdoms and the slow revelations we get about ancient conflicts and how they shaped the world as it was when Roland arrived.

There are also many Wuxiaworld/xianxia with worldbuilding I enjoyed. These are the ones I’ve read that I’d rate around the same level or better than A Will Eternal in terms of world building: City of Sin, Monarch of Evernight, Desolate Era, I Shall Seal the Heavens, The Second Coming of Gluttony.

I’ve also heard that the Lord of Mysteries is phenomenal, but I haven’t read it yet. I’m saving it for a special occasion!

Edit: I read your tags just now. Kumo is the only one with a female MC. It’s also the only Japanese recommendation. The Second Coming of Gluttony is Korean. Everything else is Chinese. I don’t know what big harem is, but Warlock of the Magus World, Release that Witch, City of Sin and The Second Coming of Gluttony all have male MCs with multiple lovers. Again not sure what counts as tragedy, but MCs in all of the wuxia/xianxia recommendations I have near the end deal with tragic circumstances. I Shall Seal the Heavens is the only one that has a worse tragedy than A Will Eternal.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    gingingin1605 likes this.
  5. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Ed and good world building? Haha
    If you like op mc then here are few

1. My disciples are all villians
    2. Realizing this is wuxia world after cultivating for 300 years
    3. History's number one founder
    4. History's strongest senior brother
    5. Top tier providence secretly cultivate for 10 thousand years
    6. I just wont play by the book

6. gingingin1605

gingingin1605 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are you really reading novels? i am doubting your ability to read even a few lines haha
    i clearly mentioned harem but none of the novels have harem

I will try Reverend Insanity in the near future.
    among Warlock of the Magus World, Release that Witch, City of Sin, Monarch of Evernight, Desolate Era, I Shall Seal the Heavens, The Second Coming of Gluttony. i have either read the novels, tried and discarded them, or they had something which made me hesitant to try them. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

7. Avelys

Avelys New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Junior apprentice C! It’s phenomenal but it depends on your tolerance for google translate, however I have found the translation via iOS chrome app more than serviceable

gingingin1605 likes this.
  8. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry don't read too much harem, Thought you will like those as well, as you mentioned ed they have op mc and have bunch of followers like maids in ed.

A world worth protecting is kinda like A Will Eternal as both have similar mc and style. Er gen novels

I Shall Seal the Heavens and Renegade Immortal have only 2 girls, even then mc just loves only 1 girl. Er gen novels

City of Sin has different kind of harem where all the members have tragic ending with good story

Warlock of the Magus World just sleeps and doesn't give a shit about women.

Reverend Insanity doesn't have harem nor any romance. Women is just flesh and bones.

Desolate Era doesn't have harem, Has only one wife and mc reaches peak to save her

The second comming of gluttony might suit your taste as it does have harem

Monarch of Evernight is really tragic story, Its good but will leave your head hurt because of mc's actions.

Release that Witch is not harem has only one girl, Other girl nightingale loves the mc but mc does not love her. At end if you count her its two.

According to title i consider these novels to have good world building. Ratings are from personal experience and none of these are harem, Serious and plot heavy novels with best world building in nu

1.Lord of Mysteries(10/10)
    2. Reverend Insanity(10/10)
    3. My House of Horrors(10/10)
    4. Trafford's trading club(9/10)
    5. Cultivation Chat Group(10/10)
    6. Nighfall(9.5/10)
    7. Way of the Devil(9/10)
    8. Warlock of the Magus World(8.5/10)
    9. Zhu Xian(9/10)
    10. Release that Witch(9/10)
    11. Chronicles of Primordial Wars(9.5/10)
    12. Superstars of tommorrow(9/10)
    13. The First Order(9/10)
    14. Death sutra(8.5/10)
    15. Doomsday Wonderland(8.5/10)
    16.The Legendary Mechanic(9/10)
    17. Devil's Cage(9/10)
    18. 48 Hours a Day(9/10)
    19. Reincarnation paradise(9/10)
    20. Martial Arts Master (9/10)
    21. Throne of Magical Arcana (9/10)
    22. Deep Sea embers (Ongoing)
    23. Embers Ad Infinitum (9/10)

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    forgottenarrow and gingingin1605 like this.