Discussion Google Scam?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cosmic_, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So whenever browsing the comment section of some youtube video, I see these types of scam comments like “get free v-bucks by typing this code into google.” I’ve been pretty much ignoring them, but then the thought just came to me of “How in the world does that even work?”

‘Cause how would a person get scammed or get a virus from just googling some string of words and letters? Unless the search results show some scam site/link and the person clicks on it, the mere act of just googling wouldn’t do anything. Shouldn’t they design the scam better and clarify? Unless they’d somehow profit from the searching or search result analysis. Why would someone do that and even put in efforts to make bots that comment these types of things? Is this some troll or maybe like some social experiment, meme, or project to bring scam awareness through a harmless bot fake-scam comment? Maybe I’m just stupid and overthinking.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those pages usually load up to malware and redirect to endless webpages containing ads. the spammers get money based on ad views

3. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean that googling it and just arriving on the search results page can redirect or load malware? Or do you mean if they click links?

4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    the google algorithm work by most relevant and most important (and most visited) so by using those words on google ou can increase the importance of certain sites in google algorithm and as such affect ads result and the impotance of such site ad value of ads there

5. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s what I was thinking as it’s the only other possible motive. They’d somehow profit from the view or search result count.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Meloman likes this.
  6. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Trolling? Just for fun, maybe?

But, today one person randomly told me about some website that collects “useless “ websites. The title was something like uselesswebs. something. I haven’t looked (not interested either). Apparently there are no ads but just links to webpages that got random stuff on it, like pictures of something or a weird and Useless item for sale on some website, etc.

People do lots of weird things for no reason. Probably that google thing is similar... thought most likely it’s for the ad views. Hence I was surprised that on that useless website according to that person there were no ads. That I’m actually curious to see.

7. Jeter

Jeter New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clickbait ads. Adblock for protection