Discussion Got into Diablo 3 going to PoE

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    So I recently got into Diablo 3 I liked it, I really didn't think I would as the last time I played something like that was a mobile game on a flip phone back in 2004 or so... I liked Diablo but I don't seem to jive with it other than the Witch Doc I don't think I'm interested in the other classes. I liked the Monk and Demon Hunter but not their class weapons and other things. I played Diablo 3 by beating the Skeleton king I had almost all epic gear and A gold crown I randomly found near a graveyard in a Tree stump... Lothric's Crown or something. I liked it enough but can't see myself playing it to much so not worth the cash.

Can anyone familiar with Path of Exile help out a noob trying to build a useable class build?

Path of Exile seems more free and I can see myself making the perfect class hybrid I've always sought! So many possibilities.

The Class I want is Dex/Intel so I'm thinking Shadow class. I like duel wielding Swords/Shortswords or Claws (I saw some that summon wolves) and summoning companions. I don't know if the game has lightning but I like magic aligned with Ice and Lightning. I also don't know if the game has evasion but if it doesn't I'd take lifesteal/leech which I know it has.

Can anyone tell me how to get the wolf pet also? I saw it on PoE's YouTube but it was like a 15 sec video.

Or is Guild Wars 2 a better option?

2. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Should mention I'm going for a Battle Shaman or Totem Warrior type role play

3. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh... the good ol PoE.

Played quite religiously when it was in open beta, but haven't played for 2 years, laptop can't handle it anymore. I still keep up on all its new though.

Try searching for summon raging spirit build guide. That's the only thing I can think of. Also, try going into their subreddit, the developer is very engaging with its community. Definitely one of the best in the industry.

Anyway, you made a good decision coming to PoE. Diablo 3 has been dumbed down a lot. PoE is more worthy for Diablo successor.

fanobody and Okuri Ookami like this.
  4. maskhara

maskhara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cant really help you with poe as im a shite on adain off again player but as far as diablo is concerned you havent even experienced 1 percent of the game if you just beat the skeleton king.... im nit saying invest in it.... but you can buy it for about 10 dollars on sale most holidays... i think more people need to give it a go because its a completely different game when you finish the story

5. maskhara

maskhara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try a youtuber called ziggyd hes pretty good and his guides are easy to understand and noob friendly.... though poe is very dense in general so expect to flounder and screw up your first character and just play instead until u get a grasp of the mechanics

6. GloomUnderNight

GloomUnderNight "DOMO HAJIMEMASHITE. I am STRING CUTTER" ©

Reading List:
    Link
    You WON'T be able to create a good build by yourself if you played less than 500 hours. This especially right for melee classes. My piece of advice to you, read guides, or for starters, watch poebuilds channel on youtube for some references, they even state how much each of their builds is beginner-friendly.

POE has much more complicated game mechanics than Diablo 3.

The most easy to play(and the most boring though) is marauder with totems. Almost all other build require some understanding of how things in this game work.

P.S. And dont start playing on hardcore, you'll just die on bosses(cuz again, you dont know the mechanics) and will waste your time.

gunstriker likes this.
  7. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it story or combat that your saying I haven't seen yet? I'm more interested in Combat, I liked D3's story it was interesting but even in the start I felt restricted, I looked at that fancy scythe and swords I couldn't wear cause I was a Witch Doc... I was limited to Spell at range and had to rely on my Zombie Doggos to fight... I like being in the mix with my summons. In Skyrim I had a full party of almost 10 characters going into battle with me leading the charge.

8. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol you can build how you want, the skill tree is MASSIVE. It all depends on gear mostly, if youre lucky.

Try Grim Dawn as well, been obsessed with that for a few days now. Dual classes and all.

9. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    POE is pretty good,
    Both have different flavors, but you may want to take a break from the Isometric style.
    If so, I highly recommend GW2. It is an amazing game.

10. Bunseth168

Bunseth168 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The last time i played poe, it ended in act 4. Yestersday, i reinstalled it on steam and ohh snap!!! The contents are boundless and wonderful! I am currrently playing as a templar who not just smashing faces with a molten strike ax but also got 5 skeletons and 4 zombies help smashing faces too. :') some will called me an idiot for wasting my skill points but fuck me side way, it is the most beautiful ass kicking i have ever seen, combined with hearald of ice, lighting, and fire skills, i feel so much awesome.

Anyway, i agree with the person above regarding the raging spirit build

11. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as I get the foundation right I think I can make do with starting over at least once. Thanks for the advice.

Oh I already know its to hard to just jump right in and used YouTube starter guides to figure out if I what CC was like. I definitely won't do Hardcore the first video I saw was someone telling how broken it was for beginners.

I haven't touched any game like these before and really haven't been gaming much since joinin this community so I'm a blank slate at least in the PC area.

Always liked spirits, I'll try it out.

12. tiduse

tiduse Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki The POE Bible

been paying since before 2.0 and the best advice i can give you is to join a guild that plays the leagues , we get new leagues every 3 months and the past one added a HUGE amount of new stuff with it being 3.0. next league is gonna start around the 2nd week of December and its gonna bring 3.1 with it which will focus on the end game ( after you finish the 10 story acts)

i would play around for now and join a guild around december when everyone comes back for the new league.

13. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have less than 100 and my characters is a duelist and his build is reliable. I kinda forgot the whole thing because it was a lot of enchancements I put him and speels along with passives.
    And all of it was gotten from drops of mini bosses or elite enemies, the thing I did was to farm and farm low level areas and prophecies. Occasionally I got a legendary equipment, repeated the same and had a full legendary set. Also I enchanted my potions flasks.
    My skills are decisive strike, storm, leap, lighting chain, double strike and cold snap. Sorry if the names wrong but I don't pay much attention to detail.

14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Gw2 is awesome!!
    Never got into diablo.. so..

15. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a loner at heart... I join guilds but maybe won't stay long at all, I probably would do nothing but lurk. Are there any benefits to being in a guild? I'll look at the PoE guide soon but I'm doing things right now and looking at this thread every few minutes.

So there is lightning in this game!

I'm checking GW2 out now but I don't think my PC can handle it.

16. bessem

bessem Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Bunseth168

Bunseth168 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye!! They got so many skills that even now i still don't know some of them even exist. My favorite is molten strike. Buff it up with support gems and damnnnnnn!!! It got high dps and 3 molten lava pieces scatter when it strike, making it a reliable and powerful aoe and duel skill because those lava pieces quite a nice damages plus burn (lighting, ice) damage.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  18. tiduse

tiduse Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly, being in a guild could make things much easier , as you could progress together and builds around others peoples builds that are with you such as making a 0 DPS support which every high lvl party would want . also the drop rate of stuff is buffed when in a party to compensate for having to share loot , but getting stuff that is REALLY worth something isnt that common so getting the increase drop rate while having to share it isnt bad (most party end up selling the item and sharing it , and if someone needs it he just gets a bro deal and pays way below market price to the ppl in his party) and for leveling and story , having people doing different things in the same act and then portaling in ppl at check points can easily cut the time needed to finish the story acts in half.

and lets not forget that having veterans and ppl that now more about the game is a good thing since you are new to the game

19. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I'd like to detail out build paths, I'd recommend you just go in without looking stuff up. A lot of the fun of PoE comes from learning it. Finding new shop recipes, finding new build combos. You can look up a cookie cutter great build later on, but don't give up your best experience of the game. The HUGE diversity of build paths is most of what makes PoE so addicting imho

Okuri Ookami and Bunseth168 like this.
  20. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    That really doesn't sound appealing much. I have an idea of what I want detailing a build to fit others styles isn't fun and disrupts my reason for being into it in the first place. No need for bro deals much either. I'm not keen on sharing or being given discounts when all I have to do is grind and grind in order to get the same thing. I like grinding so yeah. I appreciate the detailing but I'd only join a guild to look at the chat or for a comfortable atmosphere.

It does sound appealing, I like that but i also don't want my idea to veer to much off so having an ideal foundation will cover for future flaws. Until I get enough experience were I can completely start over that is.