Discussion Grancrest Senki

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Lazytophat, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Umu but alexis also not doing anything so kinda they don't deserve happiness. I think Villar deserve happiness.

2. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't this the anime subforum?

I'm not sure if she's trying to get married to Alexis anymore. I think she's the type of person who would end up deciding to kill Alexis if it were necessary for her country's ambition. So I don't really think she's looking to unite the continent in order to marry Alexis -- she's aiming to unite the continent for the sake of her country.

The other thing is that at this present moment, the only way either Alexis or Mariane could be together is if one (preferably both) abdicate. One part I like about Grancrest Senki is the political aspect that the leaders don't have 100% power over everything in their country, and it's not so simple to seize control of everything (or gain loyalty of people). To me, that actually reflects politics more realistically than a lot of the kingdom-building novels out there where dictator/cheat-MC can micro-manage everything like he's playing a 4X game.

The only issue about abdicating is that it's just a little irresponsible. The turmoil of the subsequent internal power struggle is bound to put your country at a bad place. Even Alexis, who is as weak-willed as it gets, hesitated for a long time from abdicating. Finally, when he does actually give up his position as the leader of the Fantasia Union, you already see a glimpse of nobles trying to pull their own weight for their own interests and agendas. It ends up as a complete fragmented mess. The crucial mistake in this entire sequence is Alexis giving up his position (after misreading that Villar would turn down the leadership position) and the peace faction gaining power. Even if Alexis isn't a great leader (and he is conscious of that), him holding the spot is a better alternative than ceding it to people who will literally run the country to the ground.

At the end of episode 11, the Union is in a really ugly position, but they are extraordinarily fortunate thanks to all the sacrifices so many people made over the last two episodes. If Mariane's (and Milza's) forces hadn't been so badly damaged, it really would have been an opportune time for the Alliance to press forward into the Union's heartland. If that had happened, it would have been devastating. Villar was like basically the MVP of the Union, and losing such a powerful figure defending the border is a huge loss -- especially since it seems like the inside lords are all wimpy/peace-faction. Why should the Alliance accept a peace treaty when they can simply steamroll over the Union?

-------------

Overall, I really enjoyed the political aspects of the recent episodes. Also, it turns out Villar is a really great guy.

My favorite part about episode 11 is that it captured the feeling of what it is like to be in a position of inevitable loss without any option of escape. There's not enough of that feeling these days.

We live in a society where competitions are "fair" or if not, at least the underdog will win. Even if the odds are insane... it's just how people like in the media (whether it's like Helm's Deep in lord of the rings, or Star Wars).

However, war is really ugly, and it's nothing close to fair at all. Only a fool would engage in a battle where the competition is "fair" -- instead, if one is able stack the odds overwhelmingly in your advantage, then obviously that is the choice that will be taken. The overwhelming nature of war is that the struggles are inevitably "unfair". Parties wouldn't go to war unless one side were positive that they could win -- so ultimately the outcome is quite ugly.

There are too many OP people in fiction. XD The reality is that if you put even the most talented people in the world in a negative position, it doesn't take much to make them lose. In a board game like Go (Weiqi), even something as trivial like a 10-piece handicap is enough to tip to the scales between a grandmaster in the game vs. a low level dan. For many other games, the case is similar.

3. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean anime is for light novel reader that know the story line but not all of then can imagine it. also mean for marketing like "the story is interesting but lack development character and bad pacing so i want to read light novel."

4. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    currently at episode 11, WHY WHY DID THEY KILL VILLAR!!! why didn't they kill useless THEO!!! RAAAAAGEEEEE:blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

arrrrrgh!!

5. heartentice

heartentice The One That Entice The Soul

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler tag is there for a purpose! Albeit with misleading title

6. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    RAAAAAGE WHY WHY DID THEY KILL VILLAR!! WHYYYY

7. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry I Have reported this thread to mod I hope tomorrow they will deleted it

8. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kono hito de nashi!!