Gravity Tales and QI --- Mega-merge Thread

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by remy911, Aug 4, 2017.

?

is possible QI do this move?

1. hell yeah, i'm sure

25.8%
  2. f***,please don't

24.2%
  3. what it's relation with me? i'm just passerby

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I understand what you mean now. How could Qidian force the official translator of, let's say CSG for example, to translate from the beginning? The licensor can do what they want, Qidian wouldn't be able to direct them. If by "force" you mean by taking down the existing translations, to be honest any other licensor would want to retranslate the novels from the beginning anyway, regardless of what Qidian does or doesn't do. A large benefit of licensing is being able to then publish and sell (e)books, but no company would want to license CSG and then begin releasing ebooks from Chapter 816, that just wouldn't work for getting new readers into the series. And this wouldn't be Qidian forcing them to retranslate, they would do it simply because they would have no ownership of the old translations.

Okay, where exactly is your proof of this? Or is it just speculation. Also, where are you quoting from with those speech marks?

What kind of progress would you like to know about other than the negotiations being ongoing or complete? What else is there to say? When have other sites ever given everyone step by step news about their negotiations?

They can? How do you know that?
    Ren said in his post announcing 17k and Zongheng licenses that "negotiations have been going on for quite some time." That doesn't sound like "easily". Etvolare has said that she concluded a deal with Zongheng "after months of discussion." Again, that doesn't imply "easily". In another post, Etvolare again said a deal with iReader had been concluded after "months of discussion." And where did WW and Volare publicly explain their negotiating processes for these two deals? That's the "biggest question" about Gravity, so why isn't it the same for WW and Volare?

The major difference you're overlooking here is that other sites haven't announced the beginning of their negotiations, only the completion of them. Of course if it's suddenly announced that negotiations are complete it will feel sudden to you, because you weren't aware they had started months ago.

You've made a lot of claims here, please support them with evidence.

YunsmoothChe and Wujigege like this.
  2. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    brother,
    1. since this CN translator-lurker community born even in JP translator-lurker community, there never "official translator" it just have fan-volunteer based translator that even most poisonous lurker have respect to them. "Official translator" term born at early years of NU/NUF that after someone posted/asked if NU can cooperate to posted some official translation version (i dont know if this someone is). after this post in NU/NUF there a website claim that it hold "official translation" of some CN novel,what a pity its quality is crappy than some MTL based translator (God blessed MTL translator, so they can improve their quality :D ). then this situation stagnate in 3-4 years, then BAM!! QI came with their big move. yes BIG MOVE, QI rapidly claiming their license copyright and make this fanbased translator-lurker CN community almost collapsed [(i never say JP community version, because whenever its publisher publish their own english translation with their own effort, their fanbased version always take its down material make any lurker lost place to read their favorite novel. so in the end lurker in this community always get cornered right?) .because learned from our sister community (JP Version),lurkers in this community really sensitive about licensed, ok!] but, QI with rapid claim to many fanbased website and contact-contract-bind some fanbased translator then claiming to our (lurker): "here it's official translation!". can you belived? hey i'm from asia as QI, but where QI as asian company try to courteous when come this community? can QI say "hey we came here so we want to contribute to this community because we want you to accept us trying to do our business here"? the true, i can say QI never show politeness when it start come to this community because when its come already make lawsuit to our community! if you try to arguments about this with me, i just dont know what your place in this community. so whether QI "Official translator" is appropriated when its based on fanbased translator-lurker community??

2. Yeah, benefits of licensed novel for its publisher is in (e)book version. But do you even think about lurker feelings when its favorite novel licensed and cant read it? Remember most fanbased translator always start as lurker in this community. Can you turn blind to traffic viewer/lurker of translator website? whether translator licensed(or not) novel he/she translate, he can get many traffic viewer/guest to his/her website (as long as his quality and quantity is adequate) then he can get income from its ads even donation. do you even compare traffic between CN fanbased translator website with JP fanbased translator? Do you know why CN community version as whole slightly bigger than JP version? because it's lurker as core in this CN community version already paranoia about license and official publisher, so they/our/you and me consciously/unconsciously trying to keep and support fan based translator website to still free and unprohibited. But what QI first move? claim its licensed novel! do QI wanna kill this community? what do you say?

3."...and then begin releasing ebooks from Chapter 816, that just wouldn't work for getting new readers into the series. And this wouldn't be Qidian forcing them to retranslate, they would do it simply because they would have no ownership of the old translations" . ownership of translation huh? if ren not try to legally create contract about translated novel in his WW after some translator dispute with other translator/lurker, can QI claim its ownership? if ren doesnt create contract framework in this community, can you statement like that?
    huh, where do you came from? are you really part of this community? do you even know ethics in this community: you as translator when to take over any novel must communicate to its previous/original translator or you must wait 3 month? do you know if not this community big reaction to QI license move, QI already licensed all its novel and prohibited all lurker to read "official translation"?

right, i doesn't know how ren and etvolare got their deal with 17K/Zhongheng/iReader. IMHO i dont give any fuck about their deals because its their privacy/right and i'm really lazy to contact them about it. what i fucking care is whether ren - etvolare - other translator is got better deal and better umbrella in their contract and law,because their work with their heart and i fucking really respect it.

1. what the fucking i wanna know why GT that almost owned by QI can't drop any non-QI from GT sitemap?
    2. if you say "QI help translator to continue translate at GT", WHY QI DON'T OFFER ANY NEW QI NOVEL TO THEM AS COMPENSATION?
    3. if you say we must respect QI contract with GT, WHY QI DOESN'T RESPECT TO OTHER PUBLISHER?
    4. if you say QI have ethics, WHAT THE HELL ABOUT GT AND QI!

to @Jaspaaar , this is pointless you know? i just wanna @Qidian clarify this fucking shit.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    the truth is i very concern about future of our community...
    i'm afraid if our community subjected to Qidian shamelessness, like:
    1. WW (Ren) already show-publish about his licensing 20 novel with QI, but what happened huh? Qidian show his yellowish asses with stealing and publish translated novel like ISSTH, Desolate Era, A will Eternal, BTTH, WDQK,HJC,TDG,Sovereign of Three Realms,PW,The Great Ruler,Legend Of the Dragon King,The Unrivaled Tang Sect,Warlock of Magus World,Coiling Dragon,Child of Light,Swallowed Star,Terror Infinity... And they Qidian with its stupid suporter proud about Qidian act and ethics !
    2. Qidian with its hand in GT shamelessness to continue translate non-QI novel and prolong negotiation with 17k, Zhenglong, and iReader. why QI so obsessed with non-QI novel? do they wanna subjugate this community and make fanbased translator as its slave?

i'm really afraid if our lurker in this community keeps they ignorant attitude,in near future this community(chinese side) will be extinct and replaced by Qidian community . Do Qidian wanna monopolize this market?

mrttao likes this.
  5. Jaspaaar

Reading List:
    Link
    • Why is continuing to translate non-Qidian novels for which the publishing license has been legally purchased shameless?
    • Where's your proof that Qidian (not QI, Qidian International has no power over Gravity) has prolonged negotiations? Or is it just unsupported speculation that you're presenting as fact. The point of initiating the negotiations is for them to succeed, what reason would Qidian have to make Gravity lose out on revenue by not translating CSG and ZL for as long as possible?
    • There is no publisher called Zhenglong, you've probably confused the novel, Zhan Long, with the publisher, Zongheng
    • What negotiations with iReader and Zongheng are you talking about? There aren't any. The only iReader novel on Gravity is Peerless Battle Spirit, and it was licensed months ago. It's the same situation with the Zongheng novels, Master of the Stars, Immortal and Martial Dual Cultivation and Shura's Wrath, all of which were also licensed months ago.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  6. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    @Jaspaaar okay, i accept because GT got deal before QI took GT event . but next time, do you wanna GT to continue translate non-novel QI? why you don't condemn Qidian about its poaching-stealing translated novel from WW?

7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, I think you like most people on here think that feelings are more important.
    About the whole point about lurkers can't read because only official e-books are available is just selfish. Paying for books is normal.
    Somebody put in hours to create the content. No one should work for free.
    About fan translators taking chapters down when it gets licensed. I laugh at the stupidity of that argument.
    It is the same as trying to get a sex tape off the internet, someone with a copy will reupload it

8. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, just like those evil sects in xianxia

9. Jaspaaar

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really mind? If publishers like 17k and Zongheng are willing to sell Gravity licenses, then that's that. It's their choice to make, not mine or anyone else's.

Personally I do condemn it. Even if their contract with WW did allow them to do it as they claimed (which is highly questionable), they went about it in an underhanded and immoral manner. That's my opinion, not speaking for anyone else. I clear up misunderstandings about Gravity when I see them, but I'm not going to defend what QI has done.

Deleted member 37987 likes this.
  10. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah im is emotional type but what your point?
    i agree about your statement "Paying for books is normal. Somebody put in hours to create the content. No one should work for free" so what your point? if you say about qidian, what about another fanbased translator that already break their neck to translate then got scammed-hijacked their works?
    can you speak this statement "About fan translators taking chapters down when it gets licensed. I laugh at the stupidity of that argument.
    It is the same as trying to get a sex tape off the internet, someone with a copy will reupload it
    " to baka-suki or nanodesu even to skythewood that always get cornered when their translated novel must deleted when it publisher get it licensed. do you any respect to them?

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    For every good fan translator who takes it down. You have ten who refuse to: using patreon or pseudo-fanfiction.
    And you have 100 pirates who reupload it.
    About Qidian scamming and others, we have a fundamental difference in our way of thinking.
    Japanese authors fall sick and go on hiatus. Chinese authors have many millionaires.
    To me Qidian is a necessary evil. Unlike Syosetu they actually provide income for authors.
    I read books on Qidian. I am not the FTC or government agency that punishes bad business practices.
    Amazon for example reduced the amount they pay authors in Kindle Unlimited and other cut backs
    Subscription model screws over authors.
    Trying to hurt Qidian is dumb because authors are the ones who get screwed.
    I advice that you read about the life stories on Qidian, without Qidian some may not even have had will enough to make a good living

12. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    i never speak about zhongheng/17k/ireader willing to sell they licence to gravity. but initiative to translate any novel mostly at translator, i wanna know if in near future(1-5 year) GT translator have any initiative to translate any non-QI novel?

13. nikomaru

nikomaru 「Will of the Newtype」「NullPointerException」

Reading List:
    Link
    End of September, still no Reincarnator

14. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah ....

15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    *pat pat*

16. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    hahaha... we really have different point of view.. Do Qidian is necessary evil? isn't there Zhongheng/17k/iReader/another chinese publisher? how about any chinese author that join in other than QI?
    i criticize Qidian because it really doesnt have any respect to this community and to translator that already break their neck when translate. Qidian doesn't have any ethics when it act against other rival (fanbased translator)!
    i really doesn't like Qidian that try to dominate this community! if you say about early WW, i wanna ask to you; when ren create WW, is he try to dominate this community? is he try to block another translator as rival? why ren give help to GGP in early years of GT? why ren give encouragement to etvolare and alyschu at early phase of this community?

17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the major sites of the NU scene actually provided income for authors before Qi started invading the english market.
    Some even through contracts with Qidian where Qidian took in the lion share of that deal for themselves.
    Keep in mind he is a Qidian employee

Deleted member 37987 and kai9004 like this.
  18. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    don't worry, zebra cant change its pattern, even earthworm cant live long outside soil... hahahaha
    we can judge them from act of their background power... in internet we cant differentiate between evil and good but we can judge someone moral and ethics :D

Deleted member 37987 and mrttao like this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian has a larger market share. They impact the economy more.
    And let's be honest here, a company does not need to be a saint to earn money for their partners.
    Apple, Google and most companies keep the larger share to themselves. Do the same or even worse than Qidian.
    They just have a better PR team.
    I am not worried about Qidian failing but QI is not as big.
    For alla their faults , they have increased the number of novels being translated.
    Also an, unintended positive is the increased exposure of other Chinese publishers as translators are forced to pick their novels
    Classic anyone who disagrees with me is a Qidian employee.
    I should have kept you blocked lol

20. kai9004

kai9004 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    hahahaha..... PTOOEY!

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.