LCD Great Demon King

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Odyssey, Jan 25, 2016.

1. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't be bothered to proofread the whole chapter so I picked out 2 random paragraphs to check.

Original text: 突然有一天,这个蓝色珠子猛地爆射出千百道蓝色丝线,插在死去的几个精灵长老的尸体上,那蓝色丝线像是一根根输送液体的管子,竟从几个精灵长老的尸体上面抽出了一缕缕蓝色的光芒只是一会儿时间,几个精灵长老的尸体便全部化为了飞灰,那颗蓝色的珠子在一个深夜慢慢的遁出了地窖,往这片区域地蜘蛛女神萝丝地神庙飞去。

etvo's translation: One day, this blue pearl suddenly burst, expelling hundreds of thousands of blue colored threads of silk. They inserted themselves within the bodies of the several dark elf elders that had already died. The silk actually began extracting strands of blue light from within the elders’ body. Within just a moment’s time, the body of all the several dark elf elders had completely transformed into ashes, blown away on the air. Then, during the middle of the night, the blue colored pearl slowly flew out of the cellar, flying towards the temple of evil goddess Rose.

MTL: One day suddenly, this blue bead exploded fiercely shooting a string of blue silk threads. The string inserted themselves on the corpses of the Elf elders spread around Adele. The blue silk thread acted like pipes continuously extracting blue energy from the corpses of the Dark Elf elders. Unexpectedly after a while the corpses of the Dark Elf elders then completely changed into flying ash. Within the night the blue orb slowly escaped the cave flying toward the region of the Spider Goddess Rosy’s temple.

Point against both MTL and etvo's translation:

-- If a bead/pearl has already burst, or exploded, how can it still exist? The original text probably didn't mean that the bead exploded, but rather than it explosively shot out the blue silk threads.

Points for (+) the MTL and against (-) the MTL:

- Extracting strands of blue light is more accurate than extracting blue energy.
    + Spider Goddess Rosy is more accurate than evil goddess Rose
    + Acted like pipes is an accurate translation. This is missing in etvo's translation.

Overall, MTL slightly edges out etvo's translation here.

Original text: 在韩硕的面前,一个身高两米左右,身上长着青色长毛,獠牙森森利爪锐利的老尸妖,在他的召唤术下终于在这个位面降临,老尸妖一出来咆哮不已,这种高等级的不死生物,即使在奇奥大陆也不受天地法则的约束,那巨大的声浪是确确实实的传遍了死亡墓地,和韩硕的狂笑声混杂在了一起。

evto's translation: An approximately two meter tall old fey zombie stood in front of Han Shuo. Its body was covered with long, green hair, and its teeth and claws looked razor sharp. At long last, Han Shuo had successfully summoned it, and it wasted no time in roaring its displeasure. This advanced ranked zombie was actually not being restrained by the laws of the heavens and earth of the Profound Continent. Instead, it was clamoring in an immensely loud voice that spread powerfully throughout the Cemetery of Death, mixing with Han Shuo’s wild laughter.

MTL: In front of Han Shuo, at a height of about two meters, there stoos a large copse. Covered by green hair, sharp claws as hands it was a Elder Corpse Beast. Arrived in this plane under his Summoning Spell. The Elder Corpse Beast let out a roar, this high-grade undead ,even if in the Profound Continent restraint by the world principle, its strength was of the highest level. That great Earth voice truly had not spread over Cemetery of Death, with the Han Shuo laughing wildly sound promiscuous in one.

Point against both MTL and etvo's translation:

-- I believe "獠牙" should be translated as fangs. Neither etvo's translation nor the MTL mentioned the fangs. MTL is worse here because it doesn't even mention teeth.

Points for (+) the MTL and against (-) the MTL:

- Old fey zombie is more accurate than "a large corpse" here. At least if we're going with evto's terminology. To be consistent, the MTL should use Elder Corpse Beast here.
    - Actually not being restrained by the laws of heaven and earth even in the Profound Continent is correct. "Even if in the Profound Continent restraint by the world principle" has the opposite, wrong meaning, besides being ungrammatical.
    - An immensely loud voice that spread powerfully throughout the Cemetery of Death is pretty much correct. "That great Earth voice truly had not spread over Cemetery of Death" is wrong, in addition to being awkwardly phrased.
    - Wild laughter is correct. There is nothing about "promiscuous" in the original raws.

In this instance the MTL loses out badly to etvo's translation.

From this admittedly small sample size of 2, it seems that although etvo's translations may have small errors they are roughly correct on the important meanings. The MTL on the other hand gets even relatively simple descriptions wrong and what's worse, when it goes wrong there's no indication that it went wrong.

I wouldn't read the MTL if nobody was proofreading it since it will probably get crucial plot elements wrong.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Astaroth and Teisen like this.
  2. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh a detailed comparison! I like! @keklel :D

Re. Evil goddess Rose VS Spider goddess. I often lament about the author's writing. >< He suddenly changed from evil goddess to spider goddess in recent chapters. I thought he typo'ed and corrected for him, until that chapter where I realized. Oh... wait. She... is a spider goddess?? Well, guess she's the spider goddess now. Wouldn't be the first time CN web novel authors changed a detail. XD

Good point re. bead still existing. I got a lil loosey goosey there because I got too hung up on the line of pipes/conduits. It seemed so out of place there that I deleted that description and retained the motion of what it was doing. I *like* the teeth VS fangs. Mind blanked there, mucho appreciate it!

I wonder if promiscuous was a result of 混杂, but even then it should really be "intermixed".

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Astaroth, jackateonetoo and keklel like this.
  3. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Stratholme, Stranglethorn Vale. /facepalm

Astaroth likes this.
  4. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I don't understand is, why are the Dark Mantle elders scared of being deposed by the kings when they're that strong? I can understand the seer being scared, but Sakabas is a fucking space sacred magus. Who can touch him?

Why do kings, who are just ordinary people, even hold power in this empire, when they can get killed off by any old sword master or grand magus so easily?

5. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not Dark Mantle that's in danger, keklel, but the ones with high ranking positions. Sakabas and the seer are fine, but the three heavyweights? And all the other important people close to them? In danger of getting replaced. Sakabas should be closer to being a neutral party who simply wants to continue protecting the kingdom's stability. Same with the other Dark Mantle members, though they would also want to keep their own positions secure simultaneously.

6. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good news that a competent translator is picking this up again.

Now we'll find out whether Lawrence will betray Han Shuo or not.

FlameE likes this.
  7. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    2x a week isn't bad, I guess...

Clonetrooper11, keklel and FlameE like this.
  8. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, just hard to get out of the habit of expecting a new GDK chapter everyday ;_;

9. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I'll be happy with one chapter a week (no, I won't really) at this point. So much for the whole 2x a week.

Clonetrooper11 and FlameE like this.
  10. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    GDK is Alive !!!
    Slow-Dancing-Boy-Funny-Gif-Picture.gif

waffle290 and Gavin like this.
  11. Teisen

Teisen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More importent is that the translation is still nice.
    the bigger problem is that i got addicted to "Evil Dragon Against the Heaven" because the site change. its feels like reading "Shuras wrath" in a alternate universe

12. Danis

Reading List:
    Link
    dont worry you will get used later

13. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol the Phoebe/ Emily conversation should be funny. Specially if Phoebe takes a "Bitch you trying to steal my man" and Emily has a "Oh thank God, if you think you can handle Bryan all by yourself w/o breaking go right ahead"

elengee likes this.
  14. Danis

Reading List:
    Link
    damn damn damn damn the cliff is to much arghhhhhhh

Notaborax and Feycaller like this.
  15. Notaborax

Notaborax 『Woeful One』『Poet』『Epi's & Azuka's Cat』

Reading List:
    Link
    well we all knownwhats gonna happen :3 anger unleashed

Danis likes this.
  16. Notaborax

Notaborax 『Woeful One』『Poet』『Epi's & Azuka's Cat』

Reading List:
    Link
    awh gilbert and trunks brothers in arms:s still wondering how he is gonna deal with these 3 forces

17. Danis

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Black Frost

Black Frost Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the few novels I actually sincerely hope gets taken over by QI. This release rate is just bad, especially for such a popular novel.

19. FlameE

FlameE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean yeah the release rate is really bad compared to before but the translator has my respect for respoding almost all the coments no matter how rude they may be, way better than some other guys out there who simple don't give a damn to what their readers think.

chimerajun likes this.
  20. Itz_Minh

Itz_Minh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We just gotta wait for more TS to join the GDK team