GT, 17k, and Zongheng megamerge thread

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Overclock, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masakado

Masakado New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian say WW break contract because WW use patreon?
    but if qidian use patreon is fine?
    i think ancient godly monarch (that was hosted in Qidian) also give link to pateron for Kurodreamer.
    is it double standard? (other site is in fault if use patreon, but if qidian use patreon it is fine)

2. podlizurko

podlizurko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the translators that use patreon anyway.

3. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes they said he explained it poorly to the people however I am not talking about that I am talking about what GT told Pipi in order for Pipi to go off on a rant against 17k.

In fact his post makes it clear what he thinks is the problem, 17k license crackdown. This point is not in contention. You are saying that Pipi didn't misunderstand what he was writing. I am saying that his writing comes from a misunderstanding and that misunderstanding created even more problems. So people understood that it was the fault of 17k for something when it was a result of a misunderstanding, or miscommunication, of the situation.

Here is the problem, Pipi did misunderstand the situation. In your situation the problem wouldn't have been perceived as such because you clearly communicated to Bob that this was not a legal matter. Except for the fact Pipi's post says, from what they understand, 17k was cracking down on licenses...except they didn't. The translator took it to mean there was a shift in policy for what another company says they are going to so is a pretty big misunderstanding on the part of your translator. It doesn't help that you didn't communicate your intentions proprerly so you didn't create a misunderstanding.

What was poorly explained was GT talking to Pipi about what was going on. It resulted in a misunderstanding and that caused a rant post that didn't have any facts and caused some people to misunderstand. The understanding was that 17k is responsible. In fact they weren't it was ALL ON GT for their shit explanation to Pipi about what is going on.

Pipi didn't poorly explain anything. Pipi explained exactly what he led to believe was a license crackdown when it was action from GT that caused it in the first place with no say from 17k in the matter at all.

What aren't you getting about this?

4. Masakado

Masakado New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in wuxiaworld site it was translator that use patreon.
    in qidian it was also the translator that use patreon.
    since qidian say it considered "break contract" then by qidian logic they shouldnt allow translator use patrreon on qidian.
    More likely the patreon = break contract was just justified reasoning to blame wuxiaworld if qidian use double standard

i found this on page 30: Qidian quote :
    The returns they got are the ad revenues and license to ebook in certain ebooks platform. Fair enough? BTW, never allow them to post contents on Patreon but they had broken the agreement for a long while
    if u realy represent qidian : u must force translator stop patreon on qidian

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Kokuyasou likes this.
  5. zg44

zg44 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't blame Zongheng and 17k for being extra-cautious when dealing with GT after this fiasco when they didn't have any knowledge that GT was majority sold during their own negotiations with GT.

They also have a right to not have to license their novels to a majority owned subsidiary of the largest and most aggressive company in this business.

Whether GT is able to get a deal with Zongheng/17k at least respect that.

Taizen likes this.
  6. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    What aren't you getting about how a change in policy that will result in a translation that's been hosted without issue for 2 years needing to be removed can accurately be described as "cracking down".

Your position is based on a flawed premise, namely that you're assuming that an active action needs to have taken place in order for it to be described that way. That's not the case.

Both QI and GT know that 17k won't let QI, their major rival, host unlicensed content. It's either get a license, or remove the work.

If Pipi views 17k not giving terms that GT can accept as the issue, which given his reddit statement(that's linked in his post) he's likely going to, then he's going to describe that change as 17k cracking down.

Which they are.
    Now, in all likelihood they wouldn't be if GT wasn't owned by QI. But they are cracking down.

Arcturus likes this.
  7. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed you can't.

I won't be suprised if they void their earlier agreements, given that I strongly suspect GT was purchased as far back as mid may.

zg44 likes this.
  8. Taizen

Taizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get why Peepee is blaming 17k when it's GGP/GT's fault.
    GGP didn't even give them a damn notice that they were becoming QI.

zg44 likes this.
  9. TheOnlyRavenbrand

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a misunderstanding. It is a change of GT's policy not that 17k did anything legal against GT. That's the point and no, it isn't a "crackdown" by 17k. It's a policy change of GT.

Actually, yes it does. Throwing on dirty water on a company that hasn't done anything because QI and GT took a preventive measure themselves is not the fault of 17k at all.

Like I said, that's water being thrown on 17k when in fact it is the fault of GT and GGP for not telling his translators that any non-Qidian novels will not be hosted on GT anymore DUE TO GGP SELLING THE WEBSITE to Qidian.

Except that did 17k did not crack down. GT, Qidian, took a preventive measure themselves and blamed it on 17k when in fact it was GGP's fault for GT's policy change.

You don't understand this and you are helping them dirty 17k.

Taizen likes this.
  10. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    Because Pipi is only interested in what gets in his way. He says it directly on the annoucement post via a reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/6rjjyw/ggp_official_response/dl5htaq/
    Also https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/6rjjyw/ggp_official_response/dl5inq0/
    The only thing he cares about is continuing his translation.

To him, at least seemingly, 17k is the issue as they aren't willing to provide terms that GT can accept, making them what's 'fucking with him translating'.

Now most of us can look at the bigger picture and see that this is happening because of the QI purchase of GT, as there is no way in Hell 17k will let their largest rival host their IP unlicensed.

But all you need to do to understand why Pipi posted the way he did, is look at his comments on reddit, that he was nice enough to link in the announcement.

Arcturus likes this.
  11. Taizen

Taizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand that he was very angry and frustrated, but he couldn't have made himself look like a bigger asshat.
    I hope he won't be able to continue TLing the novel in the future.

12. TheOnlyRavenbrand

Reading List:
    Link

Only interested in what gets in his way.. having the website he is on being SOLD TO A RIVAL COMPANY of his translation is the fault of the SELLING OF THE WEBSITE. Not the fault of 17k. It was a GT policy that changed and attitude that changed not 17k.

17k isn't the issue.. the issue is that GT while they were negotiating licenses with 17k and ZH SOLD THEIR COMPANY to the rival of those two companies.

The fault and the blame is all on GT for this.. as GT are the people that took it down. 17k did not issue the takedown order.

GT: "We take care of all of our translators!"
    While fucking them over by selling the website to Qidian therefore making it impossible to keep translating non-Qidian novels on the site due to Qidian not allowing rivals on THEIR website.

zg44 likes this.
  13. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not uncharacteristic of what I've seen of his posts.

14. Taizen

Taizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What a shame.
    Cliffnotes:
    "I don't give a fuck just don't mess with me and my TLing."
    "I couldn't care less about WW."
    And last but not least,
    "I don't give a fuck who owns the site as long as I can TL."
    Mate, this guy is beyond naive and silly. The fact that people actually support him is very, very disconcerting.

15. Logicsol

Reading List:
    Link
    No shit. I've said that, I don't know, at least a dozen times now?

If you actually tried to read what I've been saying to you, you'd perhaps understand that my entire argument is that It's Pipi's lack of care of the greater picture that leads to his perspective of the issue being skewed.

Making 17k the problem in his view because they are ultimately the ones that will be preventing him from continuing his translation.

He's not misunderstanding, he does't care to understand, as he succinctly put it himself "I just want to say that I seriously don't give a fuck who owns the site, as long as no one interferes with the translating happening".

zg44 likes this.
  16. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:Now now calm down and have a cookie:cookie:

wewe and Hahhaa like this.
  17. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comments above seemed to shift blame to Pipi.
    I knew him. He didn't do anything make him deserve this.
    It gave me the feelings that he was hated because he still worked as translator for GT.

18. Lemonadez

Lemonadez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    U dont understand. Its like saying DC Publisher should use Marvel Publisher and earn money from Marvel Company.
    The fault lies on GGP for selling the ownership without letting all the translator that he sold the site to Qidian.. Now most of translator left GT because of this shit. Pipi should not blame 17k in the first place. The one he need to blame is GGP. But he didnt blame GGP so i guess he still earn money from GGP.

Taizen and Clonetrooper11 like this.
  19. Taizen

Taizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The amount he lost from GGP's dick move far outweighs the amount GGP pays him I'm sure.
    The fact that he still doesn't blame GGP is INCREDIBLE.

20. Clonetrooper11

Clonetrooper11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is GT still TLing Shura's Wrath? It's a Zhongheng novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.