Question GT Editor Recruitment Test

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by reanox, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, so I did the GT editor test back in december when they were searching for new editors to experience what it would be like, and even handed it in for fun and for myself to see if my skills were sufficient.

Well, I apparently got rejected^^. Sadly, they didn't state which part of my test wasn't good enough in their eyes and why, which made me quite mad because I did it to kind of test my english and now I don't know which part fell through. Eh. Since they didn't answer my e-mail where I enquired what part they didn't like, I don't think they will any time soon either. Could be that I've rewritten too much, that text really was a mess.

So, the point of this thread is, has anyone applied for and passed their test? If so, could you post your test here/send me a link in private? I'd like to see what kind of result they had in mind.

ApprenticeOfGames likes this.
  2. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames That sneaky lil sucker who pickpocketed you

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems a bit bullshit that you weren't told what you failed in, it is the lesser version of a incredibly lazy examiner having their only paper grading marker run out but continuing to mark the exam paper mentally and putting the score they calculated on the exam paper without expecting anyone to ask what questions they got wrong as they weren't all marked.

reanox likes this.
  3. Boricua Lunar

Boricua Lunar The Jaded Wangfei Inquisitive Polymath

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't think too much about it because the reasons behind their rejection may not even be related to your skills.

reanox likes this.
  4. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who knows.^^

Boricua Lunar likes this.
  5. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well GT is now @Qidian ’s bitch and we all know how horrible their editing and translations are, just the other day I saw a thread about how shitty martial arts master was mtled lol, yes mtled and not edited, definitely not actually translated.
    I’m basically saying, don’t take it personally cause you’re English seems perfectly fine to me from your above post

elsaSmith797 and reanox like this.
  6. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Well, for one I highly advice you to test your editing skills and show it to others. Not I'm demeaning you or anything, of course you mostly can't see that many mistakes if you're just self-correcting. Just like singing w/o recording, you thought it was okay... until someone recorded it and makes you listen and then you'll realize how horrible your voice really is.

Show it to others, especially to high level skilled speaker. There's an community for that, and it's user friendly unless you diss him/her in the face(you'd be awed how eloquent they are dissing you).

I know this post haven't any sort of connection regarding the GT editing test. However, overconfidence is a bad thing, at least be humble a little. Unless you have some bragging rights or something i.e. English Diploma or Certification, you can't call yourself a high leveled one w/o others aware that you are indeed one.

That's all.

Well, GT has some issues on their editing test tho. Please understand that it's a big, big website(at least within the community). So, you may just got flagged on the start, or just they didn't see you in the wholesome wave of applicants(most of it are just amateur volunteers) .

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I actually found a few mistakes after double checking the end result, but I corrected them before handing it in. I kind of get what you are talking about, but I don't think I need some sort of certification to be confident in my english, I also mostly did it for fun so it's not a big deal. About them not seeing me, they did decline me so I assume they did at least check out what I handed in on a superficial level.

The wave of applicants this time must've been on a really high level though, seeing some of their current editors and what kind of end result they deliver on some series', I really wonder where their high expectations come from..^^ Maybe they wanted to learn from past mistakes

8. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe too much time elapsed perhaps? At some point that, in a middle at your editing work progress, required applicants are already filled up the spot? Eh. IDK...

Most testers views like this: appropriate English level + fast time completion(since reading speed and typing speed for error corrections are already part of the math). Well, most of my money is at the [Time Completion] part. Because English levels can be trained easily while the job as "experience". I know reading and typing speed can also be trained, but it takes a whole lot of time compared to the other.

I'm just speculating tho.

9. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, maybe. I only handed it in like 2-3 days after they sent it out. That's not really a way to measure speed though, since there was no rule saying that you had to start on it right away. Well, whatever

10. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe u skill too good for them do know its qibitch
    :cookie:

elsaSmith797 and Boricua Lunar like this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually not that uncommon, plenty of groups do that.

There are no checkmarks when someone edits, unless they made the grammar mistakes that is, it's more along the lines of...

Did they make the flow better? Was it good enough?
    Did they fix any grammar mistakes from the translator?
    Did their changes make the text too different from the raw?
    Did they change the meaning of sentences?
    Did they take too much liberty when changing the text?

There may be some other variables, but I think those are the main ones.

To give feedback to the applicant, they need to write a proper reply out, it's not that hard to decide rather they pass or not, but pointing the troublesome parts out is actually pretty hard.

... I do think they should give the feedback though, losing potential future editors because they don't know what they are doing wrong is horrible.

12. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I can't seem to find your follow up email, could you PM me your email address please? Then I'll find your test and send you feedback.

Of course it would be preferable to give feedback as the norm, but due to time constraints I haven't been able to do so. However, if people ask for it they will be sent it (not sure what went wrong in this instance though).

The recruitment post on the site brought in far more applicants than expected, and as much as I wish I could, I can't reply to 100+ applicants with individualised responses in a reasonable time frame.

13. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn't a follow up e-mail, I replied on the one you sent me.

I get that you can't go too much into depth for everyone, but a general reason would've been enough, like grammar or too much rewriting or whatever. I just didn't like how there was just a general 'you didn't make it' if you catch my drift.

14. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That explains it. We recently switched to a new email account provider, so although emails sent to the old address are being redirected to the new one, the original emails from the old account aren't on the new one. I would guess that it can't receive replies to them because of that.

And yeah I can understand that. Although that method would still require sending out over 100 separate emails, so at that point it would probably be worth going further and just giving more detailed feedback (since vague stuff would likely lead to people wanting specifics). Unless some form of automation like templates could be used maybe, or grouping applicants into categories based on why they weren't successful and having an email for each group. It's worth looking into at least.

15. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It might just be easier if you note down general concerns you have while you read through an application and just add that onto the mail you would‘ve sent anyway, shouldn‘t take much extra time. I also pm‘d you my email address, I think.

16. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you receive a lot of submissions you just don't have time to give personalized feedback. This is super normal in the publishing industry, btw. And after all, they aren't tutors. They're looking to fill positions, not help you improve your English. So taking a test like that is not the best way to assess your abilities.

Another reason, speaking from experience here, why providing comments is not a great idea (on our end), is because you end up getting a reply email arguing with you about your decision, telling you why you're wrong or an explanation of it, etc. Which no one has time for either. Responding to emails can take up a surprising amount of time, especially when that included evaluating applications as well.

EDIT: Also, I want to say that when it comes to editing it's not always lack of ability that gets you rejected. Sometimes it's just a matter of style, of preference, as everyone edits differently. So if you get rejected, don't take it to heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.