Gu daoist master to Reverend insanity?!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by abcalltheway, Jan 12, 2018.

1. abcalltheway

abcalltheway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know if it was supposee to change but just noticed that gu daoist master just change title... And wondering if it is supposee to be so or if someone is just trolling?

Estatica likes this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like @Sky Farrow finally got it back to its original name. Since apparently qi also changed it when I just checked:cookie:

3. abcalltheway

abcalltheway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh so it is supposee to be original title? Thanks for the info! Now just gotta get used to the new name :)

Estatica likes this.
  4. Estatica

Estatica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... I didn't even realise, I plan on starting that novel once I am up to date on Night Ranger again.

5. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    It was the name of the novel when I was translating it, before Qidian took it away and renamed it to a name everyone hated at the time...
    So I got them to change it back :)
    I even made a sort of poll in the comments to see if the readers preferred the old or new name! RI had 100x more likes so I went ahead to change it.

LaDyViL, Estatica and Blitz like this.
  6. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably change the novel's cover image, too?
    No offense, but...
    I really don't think Reverend Insanity is a good fit as the novel's title.
    Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's sensible.
    First, Reverend implies a layperson's title. Second, insanity implies irrationality.
    A combination of both implies that a central character is unhinged and crazy and a man of God.
    In short "Gu Daoist Master" is a much better fit than something pretentious and nonsensical such as Reverend Insanity. Again, no offense.

readerz and Estatica like this.
  7. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed, what you said is plausible. But as they say, the majority always wins.

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Eeeeeeeh? The translator has the right to take some liberties with the translation.

I can't read a thing of Chinese, but I assume the title has some meaning that has some connection to RI, so... The translator chose what they consider that represented the novel best.

9. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, I respect the artistic freedom of the translator but I just can't really connect the Reverend Insanity title with any part of the story. What comes to mind is someone in a clergy outfit screaming in public and chasing people down with an axe. Well, it could probably work if he changed the MC's name to Reverend Insanity as well. This seems similar with the issue with "Meltdown System in Eschatology", which also has a frivolous and nonsensical choice of words in its title. The meaning also relates to something related to religion. Funny, the translator for that novel is also named Sky.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... You seem to have a problem with the title while you don't know a thing about Chinese, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In that case, you have no way of telling how accurate the title is... So... Your whole point is meaningless?

LaDyViL and Estatica like this.
  11. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    I quote Awwgasm's post here but, he said:

Both are accurate technically, since the 'Gu' is not interpretable with any single word in English.

QI leaves it as is like 'dao', whereas Zelsky focused on a specific meaning of the word, which can mean 'to drive to insanity'. If you look at the Wikipedia page in the synopsis you'll find it's broad and complicated.

As for reverend vs daoist master its a adaptation decision, as 真人 itself is a title referring to daoist masters but doesn't literally mean daoist master itself.

First off, Reverend in eastern culture is different than western. It's like Fairy and Saint, these things mean differently in West and East.

Secondly Gu is virtually impossible to translate to english (for the bug) but if you see Wikipedia... yeah.

Also, Fang Yuan could very well be seen as a '疯子' to the society. (Insane)
    This is why I think that all titles have their own merit, and thus, I went with the most popular one - personally I don't have as much issue with titles, but majority went for RI (I explained briefly about the titles and meanings) and the most popular choice was apparent.

It seems that there is no side that is fully pleased with anything. I'm very tired of this dispute.

12. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for explaining. I just started reading, so I had grown attached to the previous title.
    Anyway, like I said, I respect your decision, it will take a bit of time to come to terms with the new title and imagine an eastern/daoist reverend.
    For people like me, the least we can do is just to equate the Reverend Insanity to mean Gu Daoist Master. Potato-potato...

Sky Farrow and Estatica like this.
  13. Estatica

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed reading all that :)

14. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ruthless mode activate.

AliceShiki and Estatica like this.
  15. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand, well it took Qidian long enough to change the title until people had gotten used to it...
    Well there was bigger complaints when Qidian changed the name to Gu Daoist Master, because both sides of Daoist Gu and Reverend Insanity hated the QI name with a passion :)

gggo and Estatica like this.
  16. Estatica

Reading List:
    Link
    Or... they just Qidian, cause alot of people do

17. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it was just bad to us.
    Daoist Gu would have been a better translation than Gu Daoist Master.

But whatever!~

AliceShiki and Estatica like this.
  18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Except in US Presidential elections

Estatica and Sky Farrow like this.
  19. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, the MC did lose his marbles the first time through and is now quite out there...

AliceShiki and Sky Farrow like this.
  20. evildave

evildave Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a question: On non-logged in accounts, why do some articles, like 'Gu Daoist Master' and 'Super God Gene', among others, NOT appear on the list of updated novels?

I end up having to search for them, and Novel Updates has every link... EVERY DAY that they update?