Recommendations Gundam

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by KTL, Dec 20, 2018.

1. KTL

KTL Down horrendous

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda wanna get into this weird thing called Gundam but dont know where to start. Thinking about Wing00 but idk

2. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Wing00 is kinda a alternate time line from the main series but it's a good start.

3. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're looking for the beginning of the piece of history, start w/ the original Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) & continue w/ the whole Universal Century series (Origin, Z, ZZ, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Char's Counter Attack, F91, all the way to Victory)

I think you mean Wing and/or 00? If so, between the 2 of them, I'd say Wing would be good for introduction since it's shorter & "lighter" in term of story than 00

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch gundam 00, wing or gundam the origin, if you like it watch the rest.

rilakkuma likes this.
  5. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to start with gundam wings and gundam 00 then go with wings first then 00. They have alot of similarities as if the gundam 00 is an improved version of gundam wings. Then after you can try exploring the Universal Century tittles.

6. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the story, I suggest you watch the original (mobile suit gundam: 0079) and its sequel. but if you want better visual then 00 is good. or you can watch seed & seed destiny (plot&storyline based on original though subpar). If you like the original ver. then watch Gundam Origin (prequel of the original)

asriu and S4TY4 like this.
  7. kaloo

kaloo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wing is a bad binge watch as there is a lot of recycled animation. Just a heads up.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    if ya wanna choice from those 2
    wing as starter
    if ya wanna better visual then 00 as starter
    hmm you can also try Gundam Unicorn

9. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    in gundam universe, zion created Zaku series as first mobile suit. there's a manga where the story is 'how mobile suit(Zaku's) born'. m8 you need to read em first before the first movie/manga about gundam..

10. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not as much as seed though, also seed/destiny has too much bullshit.

S4TY4 likes this.
  11. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, SEED was fun early on, but (at least for me) the show just progressed downward midways

canaria23 likes this.
  12. Eisensturm

Eisensturm Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With nostalgia goggles on I'd be biased towards Wing + Endless Waltz, then either SEED, 00, or even 08th MS Team, thanks to Toonami and Adult Swim of old.

Wing popularized Gundam in the West for a while, and is set in a standalone setting. Endless Waltz is the finale to the series. It does have a bunch of reused animation at times, but overall the story and action is still holds up even now. There isn't much more to say here other than a few English Voice Actors also voiced some characters in 00.

00 was a more "recent" series that loosely follows Wing in concept and execution, just with less animation reuse, and a more focused story. It would be best to watch both 00 and 00 S2, and finish with the movie, Awakening of the Trailblazer. It's also set in its own setting, independent of the other series.

With SEED, you can either watch the Remaster, or the original. Some minor plot changes between the two, but otherwise the overall story is still the same. You do not need to watch the sequel, Destiny (again, Remaster or original). A standalone movie titled Stargazer is also set in the SEED universe. The setting is also its own universe, but it is also Bandai's second most popular setting after the Universal Century. Notable reasons for its claim to fame is the use of then big-name artists to really amp-up or enhance certain scenes, as well as having been a modern attempt at a retelling of the Universal Century.
    • As a sidenote, if you're a purist for original language songs, the English version replaced some of the insert songs with English renditions (mostly Lacus' and Meer's songs).
    • As another sidenote, there's a "Retake Remaster" in the works, where newer VAs are being used.

08th MS Team is a bit of an unusual recommendation, but it works fine as a standalone entry (without requiring much prior knowledge). It's set in the "Universal Century", which is Bandai's original (and over-marketed) setting, starting with the classic Mobile Suit Gundam. Z, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Victory, and Unicorn are all part of the setting.
    • Of them, Unicorn can also standalone, as it only requires Wikipedia knowledge of the series to get into it. See below the break for more on the Universal Century.
    • Related, there's also two other short-episode series that can also standalone; 0080 War in the Pocket and 0083 Stardust Memory.
    ---------
    Other Gundam series off the top of my head, none of which I recommend starting with:

A series I recommend but not as a starting point is Gundam X. It was aborted about 2/3rds of the way and thus remains incomplete. It's set in a partial alternate history splitting off from the Universal Century. It came off the heels of Wing, but was not as successful due to "Gundam burnout" and poor time slots at the time. It's still a good story though, in what was animated.

Another series that I would wholeheartedly recommend, but also not as a starting point, is G Gundam. It's basically Robot MMA with National stereotyped Gundams, and a very minor Earth-hugger message. But the real reason you should watch it is because the English version is so hammy; with the VAs putting their soul into the characters. It makes for a fun romp. "TAKE THIS! MY LOVE, MY ANGER, AND ALL OF MY SORROW! SHINING FINGER!!!" I swear to god, if the Voice Actors didn't bust a mic during recording, I'd be disappointed. Setting-wise, it's in its own contained universe.

AGE was another recent series, and a failed attempt to retell the story of MSG, Z, and ZZ all at once in a new setting. It wasn't anywhere near as successful as SEED in that regard, being a rushed clusterfvck of a mess. It was also part of an extremely failed marketing push for people to play the accompanying game, which told the full story with far better pacing. Basically "if you want to know more, play the game."

Ironblooded Orphans is yet another standalone setting, but draws similarities to Wing and 00. It wasn't a big hit, but it was more popular/successful than AGE. It may have too much male testosterone amongst the main group for some, or too much space convict gang drama for others.

Gundam Build Fighters is a complete shift from the war-stories told in previous settings; its focus is around Gunpla (Gundam-based plastic models) building and combat. It's currently a popular series, partially because it drops the war drama for a simpler Pokemon-esque feel (Gotta build 'em all, gotta be a Gunpla Master), and partially because it gives a bunch of underutilized mecha designs more screen time. It's also a love-letter to Gundam as a whole, since it features a ton of cameos and references from other Gundam series. Only reason I don't recommend it as a starting point is because some of the cameos/references/gags is lost on those who didn't have some familiarity with 2 or more Gundam series.

The rest of the Universal Century. MSG, Zeta, Double Zeta (ZZ), Char's Counterattack (CCA), F91, Victory, and Unicorn. The first 4 especially have a number of shared characters, or set the background for some characters later on. F91 was an aborted attempt at a new series set after CCA, and would have led to space pirating. Victory is set sometime after and is infamous for a disordered episode start as well as the depression of its creator. Unicorn is set even further after events in Victory. There are Compilation Movies as well as the Origin alternate history takes for MSG that can help add more detail to the setting's early years (which Bandai keeps marketing well past the point of becoming glue). The Origin is an alternate viewing option for the original MSG simply because it's a more modern anime, but again, it changes details from the original Mobile Suit Gundam and adds more background to some key characters.

Gundam Reconguista is spiritually a part of the Universal Century; but in the Century following. While it can stand alone as an independent series, it was ultimately forgettable. It's only major claim to fame is that it was the first series in a long time by a veteran Gundam writer, Tomino, and was meant to be a coming of age type of story encouraging a look at ecological responsibility.

And then there's Turn A Gundam. It was supposed to be the Gundam series to end all Gundam series; where every Gundam Universe basically existed on a continuum and events in Turn A puts the Gundam series to rest. That was a lie, of course. Bandai has been working newer and recent series into its timeline somehow, and even had one minor series set afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    rilakkuma and S4TY4 like this.
  13. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww::aww::aww:
    You forgot to add/mention G Gundam G Savior & F91 :D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  14. Eisensturm

Eisensturm Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't discuss G Savior. :censored:

F91 and G Gundam yes, I forgot, and will add. Thanks. :ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few others too, but they're mostly shorts (Ring of Gundam, Igloo, Gunpla Builders, etc).

15. rilakkuma

rilakkuma [ʕ •ᴥ•ʔゝ☆][A Victim][Huggle Bear]

Reading List:
    Link
    Iron Blooded Orphans was good, but I think you should start with 00.

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want a emo creep fest try Gundam Seed.

Personally I recommend Kamen Rider.
    I enjoyed Kamen Rider OOO
    It's the only one I have watched and it wasn't so cheesy The version with Sato Fukushi is also highly recommended.

17. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    watch gundam 00