Half-Chinese

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sunrise, May 22, 2016.

1. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    i am half-chinese, 1/4 something else, 1/4 something else but look 90% chinese. usually i'm chinese when it is convenient for me to be one. like when i want to use this ---> 'sory, no talk english' or for new years dinner or receiving red packet. in short whenever its convenient for me. hahaha
    having mixed heritage is fun because i can identify with any of them.but in the end, i am my own man. family is family. and sure as hell not emo enough to reject anything that made me, me.

2. AnarchyOtaku

AnarchyOtaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what really annoys me. The world is more connected than ever and we still bring up "race" as an issue? We are all human, the word "race" was used because to stupid white people hundreds of years ago thought, "hey, different color... They mustn't be the same as us white humans!" It's 2016, I believe we as a species should be more evolved than to keep bringing up a non-issue as race. People ask what race you are.. Just tell them "Human," they ask you where you are from just tell them "Earth."

3. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    Biologically speaking there is no such thing as "race" you may have heard the term "fluid social construct" but that refers to the fact that all the things that we identify as race characteristics aren't actually racial differences but are entirely the products of cultural perception. In other words the only relevant aspect of race is culture. If you grow up in California then the fact that some of your ancestors may have lived in china or denmark or egypt or wherever in no way changes or determins who you are as a person.

Sunrise likes this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite On a roll

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm an ABC. Chinese heritage but grew up overseas, though the sun tan's not helping and people think I'm halfie.
    It really doesn't matter, just embrace being half a banana. You're not the only one, as far as I can tell.

5. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    If I like your post does that mean im sympathizing with you or enjoying your sadness?

6. Sunrise

Sunrise Your ordinary passerby

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I like the way you thinking. But not all peoples thinks like you.

7. AnarchyOtaku

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the problem these days, more people don't think like me :D. But do you mind saying what ethnicity you are on you fathers side? Just curious to know what type of culture he is indoctrinated in and knowing that would help me understand you at both sides of the coin. Also, though I don't go to college for it, I have read a lot about sociology and psychology in my spare time (gotta love intrest in humans right?) so I have the same understanding in human nature as a 2 or 3rd year college student going for a major in sociology.

8. Sunrise

Reading List:
    Link
    My father is Javanese but born in Romania.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  9. AnarchyOtaku

Reading List:
    Link
    Does he follow Indonesian culture or Romanian?

10. Sunrise

Reading List:
    Link
    He mainly follow Indonesian

11. AnarchyOtaku

Reading List:
    Link
    So you were raised with two different types of Asian culture, though most Indonesians are heavily influenced by Muslim/Middle eastern heritage. Don't look at yourself as one or the other, look at yourself as the combination of both. We as a species has been interbreeding with other cultures since humans existed (we f**ked the Neanderthals out of existence btw.) Take the culture of both parents and try to use that to be your own person, if your parents are good people, they will love you either way. And for other people? Who cares about them, they don't know you and only family and friends matter.

Being a "mixed breed" doesn't make you any less of a human. Honestly every single one of my nephews and nieces are mixed, 2 are half Asian, and 2 are half black, and we love them to death. Don't dwell on race and surnames. You should still have a last name and that signifies you are part of a family, that's all that matters. Though I don't know you, or your circumstances, I do know that you shouldn't dwell on things such as what ethnicity you are defined as, there are much more important things to worry about. And about God and Devil world's MC being super racist, that is mainly just the author that is a Chinese Imperialist, they hate everyone not full Chinese, and they don't even like non-mainland Chinese (Hong-Kong) and most Chinese just really hate the Japanese for the atrocities they committed in their wars again China so don't use a fictional character to judge you. Just live your life and be happy as you with your family. (unless you have issues in your family, but that is a different subject)

Sunrise likes this.
  12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes me wonder why this only become a problem for you now, after reading that racist novel. What you need to care about are two things:

1) What culture do you practice?
    2) Which ethnicity do you identify the best?

If you follow Chinese culture (CNY, Chap Goh Mei, Hungry Ghost Day) then you can call yourself Chinese. If you have a Chinese given name and you can speak Chinese and more comfortable among Chinese, then you can call yourself Chinese. Nobody said you can't be Caucasian while still practicing these cultural norms, though. However, if you look like a white man in Malaysia or Singapore despite being mixed blood, you'll still be called 'ang moh' :p

Or you can do what the protagonist of this novel which I don't remember the name of. He claim to practice Communion (or something), whenever he met a Catholic, he'd say "I'm Communion, where I come from, that's as close to Catholicism as possible" and when he met a Dominican, he'd say, "I'm Communion, where I come from, that's as close to Dominican as possible". You can use this trick when you're trying to have a Chinese gf "I'm only half-Chinese, but we celebrate Chinese New Year since I was a child."

13. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    omg javanese!! my mother is Javanese too.. as far as I know lot of javanese people create their own surname. could you create your own surname and register it to your local govt?

lemme guess there a lot of possibilities that your grandfather is political escapee from 65th right?

don't let that trouble you. btw why you hate chinese people..

lot of my chinese friend hate PRC.. and some chinese too. wich tribe are your mother are? chinese is not only Han yanno... godamned han... you makes us look bad... I hate han people I really hate them...

oh one of my grandmothers is Hu.. and one of my auntie is hokkian... tough She never follow chinese customs... lol

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  14. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm ABC too! :D I'm not tan though, haha. I'm an indoor type, plus with sick constitution, so my mom is always worried like you're too pale or what not >.> I personally prefer pale skin though o3o I honestly say, who cares what people say! I personally identify as Chinese, even though I might be Chinese to Americans, I'm American to Chinese! But whatever! I like Chinese culture, I like my relatives, I like when I visit China (well, minus the public toilets and no AC and no ice water...), so who cares what others say! I do me, and you do you! You be whoever you want to~

15. Sunrise

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I know a lot of Javanese peoples create their own surname this day. But personally my father and I won't do that because he and I still stick to old tradition because he is still part of nobility. Even if I don't have a surname but because my father noble bloodline. I can still use "Raden" ini front of my name.
    But I don't use it because it's really troublesome if some people don't believe me and asking to prove my lineage.

And my mother is hokkian, to tell you the truth I also don't know why I hate Chinese.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    prongsjiisan likes this.
  16. Sunrise

Reading List:
    Link
    I already try that trick, she only said " Don't lie to me!".

17. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't be racist.

18. Sunrise

Reading List:
    Link
    How can I be racist when I doesn't even know my own race?

19. tehrealone

tehrealone 『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure in this international and multicultural era , a person's identity will become more and more separate to their race.
    There's plenty of people who racially belong to one race, but live in another country and hence identify as a citizen of that country.

Example: You could have been born in ____ but you grew up in ----- and you identify most with -----
    So race isn't that important to identity anymore, well at least imo.

20. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    actually chinese and javasene albeit their minor difference has lot of similarity.. this also applied to major asian power like japanese and koreanese

one of their bad trait is corruption, narrow mindedness, racism. and glued to their own tradition like crazy. they are hardnuts supertisious peoples. and very bad religious peoples.. well majority of them are.. and they aren't compatible on west democrazy.. altough lot of these peoples achieve marvelous civilization. but those trait doesn't lost at all. I saw some channel called asian mother. and see lot of similarities that asian mother has albeit their race... and they always hiding something. what they tell and what they think about you is always 180 degree different.

and you got those genes inside you..
    that was not bad thing. but not a good thing either...

you shouldn't hate chinese because you're half of them. just say to your mother why you wont follow her tradition.

and lastly loved and honour your mother. because that was lot of asians do. albeit their race.

he has reason to be racist.. altough he shouldn't