@happy's piano things

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by happy, May 6, 2017.

1. happy

happy [happily dead] [heartless] [contracted to Tony]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello!

I'm mostly making this thread to keep my piano things! Overall, I'm not that good and I don't play that seriously (too lazy to practice, orz), but playing piano is one of my hobbies. A lot of times, I'll just let my fingers fumble aimlessly on the piano while I listen to my lectures on my laptop. Or when I have like five minutes before I go anywhere, I'll play a little bit.

I suppose my eventual goal with my piano playing is to get good enough to make piano covers of anime and video game music. I was classically trained for many years before I went to college, but that means I'm pretty bad at improvising or playing music without sheet music. It's only recently that I've been practicing my ear training and trying to play music without having sheet music, but I'm not particularly that good and I make mistakes a lot. ^___^;

Anyways, I made this thread to share things that I feel like are good enough to post.

If you want to hear something, or have sheet music you think I could play, I'd love to take a look!

Table of Contents
    Recordings
    Original Covers
    • Bad Apple [Touhou Project] (short tune) recorded Jan 26, 2017

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. happy

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, I'm a noob at recording things! I understand absolutely nothing about gain or output or stereo or mono whatever, so if anyone has advice for that type of thing, I'd love to hear!

When I was processing the recording for White Album today, I saw on youtube that it was possible to reduce noise using Audacity, so I gave it a try. Idk if it sounds better than the Bad Apple sound test I made a couple months ago, which has no noise reduction whatsoever.

Some reflections...

Bad Apple:
    I came up with it while I was listening to review lectures for one of my exams. lol. I was improvising things and it ended up sounding like bad apple, so I tried expanding it to use as a sound test since I recently got new equipment for recording things. There was a lot of noise though! I wasn't really sure what to do about it.

White Album:
    Probably the easiest piece that I have in my sheet music collection, but decided to play this one for recording because it's the only one I know I can play instantly with no practice without messing messing up. Listening to myself, I have so much pedal abuse........ probably need to work on that.

3. MaidChan

MaidChan 『Battlemaid』 『TRAP』 『Homeless Maid』

Reading List:
    Link
    I hit like cuz i love people who can play piano, and another like for that White Album piece...

happy likes this.
  4. Theo Thanasia

Theo Thanasia Medicine Master

Reading List:
    Link
    you are pretty good

happy likes this.
  5. DJdragone

DJdragone Commander of Food/Gav's Right hand Bun/leg lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I love people who can play i myself play acustic guitar though my guitar sadly is broken atm

happy likes this.
  6. chopin124

chopin124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a tip with the pedal abuse, try playing through with absolutely no pedal first record it and listen to it, then mark your sheet music with pedal marks :3
    It's very easy to wallow in the richness of the pedal :3 xD but when listening back to it in hindsight it sounds a mess right? xD

happy likes this.
  7. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    Really lucky you can still playing piano.

Because of the accident, my finger was injured.

I cant play piano anymore.

3 years i was depressed, before i finally tried to play the violin.

But yeah, with injured finger. I cant make it to profesional career

So, yeah my profesional career is over.

Becareful with your finger and your self hahahahaha

happy likes this.
  8. 3rd Rate Hikikomori

3rd Rate Hikikomori 『Self-proclaimed Squishy』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I always love listening to piano anime pieces.

I would like to hear more~

happy likes this.
  9. happy

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding another one! Lost My Pieces from Toradora!

Reflection things:
    The story behind this piece is that one of my housemates (I live in a three person apartment) really likes Toradora, and particularly this song, so at some point in the year I found sheet music for this and learned it so I could play it for him. >w<

This piece in itself isn't hard. However, I really struggled with recording it because I almost always manage to make at least a few small (or medium-sized) mistakes somewhere. In some senses, I think recording is a lot harder than even recital performances because it's really easy to be a perfectionist and restart the instant I make a mistake. And then after repeating for the 20th time straight, I get kind of mentally exhausted and my focus and technique isn't as good (and I'm not "into" the music as much). I also find myself getting really really nervous when I approach a harder section where I mess up more frequently; that kind of thing (and I don't normally feel that way).

It kind of makes the idea of recording the harder songs even more daunting, because I think I spent a good two hours trying to work on this one, even though I can't say it's technically difficult in any substantial way.

And even after all that time, it's still has mistakes! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ...oh well...

AliceShiki, Pyoo and BlancFrost like this.
  10. happy

Reading List:
    Link
    New recording! Tong Hua, or Fairytale. This one is a cpop song by Guang Liang, a very famous one that pretty much everyone knows (music video).

Reflection:
    I picked this song because it's about five pages, and a step up in length (4 minutes) compared to everything else that I've recorded so far. While it's not a hard song, and in fact I've been playing this one for... probably around a decade XD I just wanted to be sure my nerves would be able to last me through the whole thing. I had to spend a little bit of time to figure out how to do the page turns in a seamless way too.

All-in-all, I think it came out better than my previous recording. Somehow, I miraculously managed to record the entire thing without messing up badly on my second try (compared to "Lost My Pieces" which took like 2+ hours), so I decided to just go with it since I have other things to do today. I also spent a little bit of time trying to figure out the pedal-ing more formally, so what I've recorded here is quite a bit less blurry than the way I was originally playing it, but there's still a lot more work that could be done. I'm not as good with the pedal as I'd like yet!

11. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice cover of an OG song!

12. happy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm alive! I've been on @lychee and @yuzuki most these few days and kind of forgot about this.

>.< I haven't done any recordings since moving into this new place last year, but earlier today I tried to re-setup the livestream stuff I had from two years ago.

I think(?) I got the livestream working, and I was online for a bit. I think twitch seems to store broadcast recordings for 14 days. So I guess, before it disappears, my improvise-y stuff is here! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/486103520 (40 min -- with random pauses)
    • Starting off by letting my hand wander to whatever (a couple of random melodies that pop up and reoccur a few times)
      • Crossing Field (SAO) - only like the beginning few bars
      • Unravel/Glassy Sky (Tokyo Ghoul) - ditto
      • Shelter (Porter Matterson) - sheet music is just sitting in front of me so it's revisited a few times
      • Madoka Magica Theme Song (~13:20) - this one is my own cover played from ear but its unpolished and unfinished
    • Somewhere around here I've taken out a book
      • Random song from a book - reading from sheet music (~24:35)
      • One Summer's Day (Spirited Away) - (~32:32)
      • And after that I'm just fingering through a few things without really playing anything

Matsurika, AliceShiki and iampsyx like this.