Hard to keep interest in novels

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Baddiez, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Baddiez

Baddiez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's so hard to stay interested in a novel that has 400 chapters translated of 2000+. I'm not complaining about translation pace I just realize that the reason I end up dropping so many novels or going long periods without reading at all is that at some point it's just pointless. These novels are so long and will take years to translate fully. It's so odd at times getting interested in a new novels reading the 100-150 chapters it has see the story has a nice direction/pace then check how many total chapters it has to see numbers like 3000. This is just a little rant but any discussion is welcome. Have a nice day/night everyone.

orematcha and Astaroth like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why you read novels when you're bored, not wasting your entire week reading novel as if it's your day job.

3. Baddiez

Reading List:
    Link
    I think for me it's that when I find a good book I enjoy reading it cover to cover over a weekend or so depending on the length/how busy I am. With webnovels/lightnovels that's most often impossible as they generally have under 10% translated. I generally only read updates constantly if it's at some sort of super cliffhanger and then I'll drop it and wait until it has a couple hundred more translated.

4. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    You might just wanna stick with completed novels or maybe korean ones that finish quickly.

5. Baddiez

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I've been trying that out and reading some KR novels. I'm trying to find some western books that I enjoy too, but it's so awkward to get into again after being exposed to and primarily reading eastern literature for a few years.

6. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    i've stopped adding to the novels i'm reading because they already take up too much of my time, and I don't think that any of them are going to finish anytime soon...

7. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    Such novels are ‘bout momentary enjoyment, no~:blobunsure:
    And most stories of that sort don’t have a concrete ending anyway~~:confused:
    So just enjoy what you’re reading without thinking too much~~~;)

8. CreamPuffDelights

CreamPuffDelights Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or y'know, getting addicted to it, reading it like its not only your day job, but your goddamn obsession, to the point where you stop sleeping for a novel with about 500 chapters translated, dying at work the next day, while still reading at work while your deadline not only gets closer, its alredy long past, but you just can't stop, promising yourself its just 30 minutes more.... eventually bombing your yearly evaluation....

Dont be like me kids.

Help.

Astaroth likes this.
  9. cboy123

cboy123 A Very Dirty Old Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me guess.. this is chinese novels huh...

10. Baddiez

Reading List:
    Link
    The first novel I ever had something like that happen on(the obsession part) was The Legendary Moonlight sculptor. I stayed up for 2 days and had bloodshot eyes and basically lived through that novel until I caught up to the translation. Then coiling dragon (my first ever CNLN).

11. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you might consider borrowing books from local library or buying physical copies, there is a lot of good finished western books, triliogies, series to read. And you can be sure that it will be finished, you don't have to w8 for a chapters.

12. Baddiez

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly just have no idea where to start. If you could by chance recommend any nice fantasy novels with a strong mc that would be great :D

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    (☉_☉) hey what about me who still waiting?
    it just usual problem for me~
    drop some~ pick some~
    same as usual
    19656.png

14. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not? :blobastonished:

Silver Snake likes this.
  15. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Better not read chinese novels if you cant wait it out. Those CN novels are paid to be long as hell. The more words/chapters, the more pay they get.
    JP and KR ones mostly are at 1000 chapters or shorter.

16. Sourceofchaos

Sourceofchaos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So l'm not the only one

17. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I pretty much don't bother to read ongoing novels atm, even though I even read MTL. Cause you can't read ahead of the translation if there just aren't any chapters to read at all...

With that said, I don't really have a problem with going back to novels I've dropped years earlier and just re-read the last couple of chapters or so before the last I had previously read and then continue from there.

So in short, read MTL for completed novels, while letting the ongoing ones / the ones you really want to read translated by people to stack up chapters.

And there's a couple of novels with quite frequent daily chapter updates that I'll read every day as well. Usually novels where at least something happens each chapter instead of fillers.

18. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd refrain myself from reading anything that have more than 2000 chapters. It's not worth it.

19. iamgboy08

iamgboy08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too.. Aside from tbose completed novels.. I never got hooked on some novels like you.. I also never liked reading books aside from paulo coelho books..

20. Naimi

Naimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for me it's sort of a hobby, so the issue of being bored while reading a series for over 100+ chapters don't bother me that much. I suggest taking breaks on reading a very long series that might make you lose interest in that said series.