Discussion Harem in novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Negiomi, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Harem?

1. I love them.

2. I enjoy them if they are contained within limits.

3. I can deal with them.

4. I hate them.

5. I don't care very much as long as it's a good read.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm....

Personally, I prefer to use Meritocracy to define what needs to be a good and enjoyable harem

For example, a girl that accompany MC from when he is weak, keep supporting him and eventually tread the path with him until the end. She needs to be the main wife or the one with the most attention from MC. Other girls that only boast beauty or any kind of benefit can try to take MC's affection, but they need to know their position and not just barge in their life and actually act like she is there from the beginning. I found Japanese novel actually use this kind of things more compared to the Chinese counterpart.

The second is that there is no unnecessary retarded drama or any kind of forced relationship to take form.

For example, if MC's potential harem member is actually his own sister-in-law whose husband died before they can take their marriage because of war. It just give a bad taste in my mouth as the MC is just an immoral one that don't care that there are actually things he just can't do eventhough it is allowed.

2. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the setting, if you have a world that its based on how strong you are, when mc is really strong girls falling for left and right its obvious something that would happen

I enjoy harems much more than normal romances, to me both a single girl or a harem have most of the works failing extremely hard to deliver something decent and to me both are the same while being different, i have my limits i dont want mc to having every girl as his wife, they can be concubines or something but i really like only if a few them that are the true love interest and actually explored with some sort of relationship

I also extremely dislike harems that doesnt have mc getting into a polygamy, its not necessary even having the tag it always scream to me the author wants to bring audience by having this kind of work not to mention mcs never being able to make moves on the girls but the girls have to be the ones chasing the whole work after the dude(mostly looking to you JP novels)

that said if the author knows how to work with interactions and characters he can make it work, it needs the author to put some effort into it and not just throwing characters into the history and doing nothing with them

Lurking likes this.
  3. Manasong

Manasong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever heard of our lord and savior, "POLYGAMY" tag? I seriously don't read harem novels until I know for sure it's got some polygamy going. Love Hina scarred me for life and I will never ever read a story like that where the MC has to choose just one girl (and knowing how beta the japanese are there's a high possibility of the writer leaving the ending open ended).

The problems with harems are basically the same for any other character, lack of development, cookie-cutter personalities, useless character, annoying character, boring character, fanservice character, shelved character, and on, and on, and on.

4. HarutoraRyu

HarutoraRyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Simply put, men are not supposed to be monogamous. It is one of the artificial restrictions we humans put on ourselves. Think about it scientifically, only men have Y chromosome that can initiate birth of another male child. there 3 X and only one Y. meaning there would naturally be more and more women than men. what would happen to the extra women in case they are heterosexual?

I consider this restriction to be on the same level as not doing human experiments to find cure for HIV, AIDS, cancer and many other disease, as well as hormone and stem cell research. This kind of nonsense are holding back human race.

5. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Women also don't need to be monogamous btw. I also don't agree with the x and y chromosome argument you made.

HarutoraRyu likes this.
  6. HarutoraRyu

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that women also don't need to be monogamous. As for X and Y chromosome, you should read more actual scientific books rather than reading articles or books or research sponsored by some political or religious groups.

Of course if we finally decide to stop reproducing through direct impregnation and go through with manual mixing and matching of chromosomes by taking sperms and eggs from suitable subjects and then producing newborn in labs, then we can keep the number of male and female equal.

I believe that around 2100 we won't have the current marriage and partnering ideology. People will be more free and broad minded when it comes to sexuality and choosing who to spend time with, for how long to be engaged in relationship or how many people they can be in relationship with etc. what a pity I won't live until then....

7. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Um....you assume a lot about me and too little at the same time. I was a scientist for a bit, in microbiology/genetics to be precise. Didn't finish my degree, but I'm up with the science. And I didn't finish my degree as an act of conscientious change, not because I wasn't good at it or my grades were bad. Take that and smoke it in your pipe. :)

8. HarutoraRyu

Reading List:
    Link
    I did not assume anything about you, rather I suggested you read some actual scientific books rather than majority of the current crop of so called scientific release which are motivated by either political bias or religious bias. But you have already said more than enough about yourself, now I will assume you are one of those who think you know better than actual scientists because actual scientists and their fact based research don't go along with your political or religious views.

9. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow...I feel for ya wee cricket. You don't know enough about me and now sound like a petulant child. ^.^ Lets say, I don't work on assumptions but you sure do. ^.^

10. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really read LN because they are so long in chapters but I am a harem anime/manga fan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.