Hating NTR but liking harem

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by theilikepie, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats the logic in that. Seems hypocritical

2. Dolidza

Dolidza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wut? Where the hell is there a connection?

3. Kishimura

Kishimura 騎士村

Reading List:
    Link
    Because we're humans.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  4. Worldrefrain

Worldrefrain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll say that NTR may exist without harem, but imo a successful harem cannot exist without some degree of NTR.

6. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem is ntr happening to the harem members

7. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    How? One is 100% consensual, even if it isn't your standard version of love, they genuinely do love the same person.

In ntr (cuckolding) especially if we're not considering the weird fetish version of it, it literally is the concept of having the person you love (usually your wife) stolen through sexual pleasure from another person. Usually involving rape, blackmail, and coercion.

I genuinely do not understand how you relate NTR to harem at all.

8. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they are too different things. And for NTR you only need one girl, so you don't need a harem for it.

9. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem is not ntr because the women in the harem accept each other

10. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    That pie see NTR ~ Harem as woman, Harem mean man NTR-ed his woman, lOL idiot pie

11. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Ntr in modern internet terms is when one person shows interest or likes someone's who.isnt there designated love interest. Harem is basically one person ntring everyone and the members being forced to be okay with it

12. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Only in some cases. And its still ntr even then

13. kuroshishi

kuroshishi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We like the thing that makes us feel good and dislike the thing that makes us feel bad. If harems were portrayed the way NTR is, with more focus on the character being betrayed, then yes it would feel gross and I wouldn't want to read it.
    I don't know how it is in reverse harem and yaoi harems, but mf harems tend to be more harmonious, usually female fights not going beyond a rivalry. When it comes to this things, the portrayal often matters more than the actions.

Fuyuneko and Milanin like this.
  14. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you relating Harems with NTR because MC steals girls away from others? The difference is who the perspective focuses is on.

If you want to self insert as the mob character getting your girl stolen by an MC, go ahead.

15. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no logic, it is hypocritical just human. A lot of guys would love to have multiple beautiful women. A justification often used for harems when compared to cheating/NTR is saying the girls are willing so it's ok (unlike NTR where there can be rape elements) which is funny to me since a lot of the time the harem MC has a bang first think later mentality to women and will almost always do it without telling the partner.

The authors always write their harems in such a way that the MC has either no choice but to have a harem (which is false because there's always a choice) or with an MC that can't control his penis. This is all justifiable in xianxia contexts because strong men have many beauties, a funny plot hole relating to this is how only strong *men* can have many beauties. There's literally close to no generic xianxia that so much as features a strong female character with a harem even though it would make perfect sense if they truly were in such a "brutal strong preys on weak" world.

In reality, if you think about it, for the sort of powerful immortal women in xianxia, is it really realistic for them to accept sharing a man? The only reason in ancient times where harems existed was because of the power imbalance however in xianxia stories there are many women with powerful cultivations so it really shouldn't be any issue for them at the minimum.

tl;dr harems are shit and usually make no sense given the cultivation/background of the women in harem stories but it is what it is since the majority of readers are male

Yoru Ai, Helaine, zanari and 4 others like this.
  16. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    I already had arguments about what NTR means on this site, and believe me, the three people I argued with would all agree that's retarded.

By your logic, finding another person attractive while in a relationship is cheating. And we're talking about CONSENSUAL harem's here, meaning none of the parties involved are "forced" to love the other person and watch in pain as the person they love screw someone else.

There is nothing hypocritical about it. The involved parties came to a consensual agreement and are okay with it.

PS: After reading your comments, you're either trolling or just genuinely don't want to accept that there is a difference. Either way, I won't be replying further.

17. Dolidza

Dolidza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ntr is stealing someone elses lover while most of the harems I've read is just multiple people loving and being together with single person. I dont know what kinds of novels you've read but most of the time its consensual.
    Also you might have misunderstood ntr since basically its just cheating. Netorare is cheating from the point of view of the one being cheated on and netorase is the point of view the one being cheated with.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  18. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    The meaning of ntr has become so twisted that its become the love intresting loving someone other then MC. By your logic ntr is also consensual since the love interest and the person they start to like consensually like eachother

19. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah it doesn't have to be that way though.

20. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude NTR is very dark. Let's suppose we have a normal Harem. 1 dude and let's say 4 girls. Now the dude wants 1 more girl. If he adds her its not Ntr because the dude WANTED it. So the "wanting it" is the point. As long as the dude wants it, it isn't NTR. NTR is always bound by rape and the other person has to refuse in the begging only to submit later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.