Other Request Have you ever find Translated Chinese novel without Mary Sue or Gary Stus character?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Nikko Anderson, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    If you met any, list them bellow. I kind of sick reading novel with Mary Sue and Gary stus, and a lot of translated wuxia xianxia is like that. a lot.

Poor_Hero and NeaxD like this.
  2. Razorace

Razorace Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not translated yet, I'm doing it np.

Give or take a few days and there will be one...

3. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know who those people are, and at this point im too afraid to ask

4. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its just a term for writers that write certain characters that are always winners no matter the problem they encounter.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
    Edit: pretty much imagine Dues Ex Machina moments but its all the time and the plot armor is strong.
    One story does not have both mary sues and plot armor and the story name is Game of Thrones.

5. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    heh, the only story i know like that is Akame ga Kill, and that isnt even xianxia. The plot armor is thin as wet paper in that one. As for Xianxia, i dont think i have ever encountered one where the MC or other main characters DONT win at everything or get some kind of priceless treasure while stumbling inside a forest.

i mean at that point it isnt even plot armor, its a plot fortress complete with a full arsenal of weapons and soldiers.

6. phoenom

phoenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the thing is .. almost all novel out there either japanese, chinese even western thing will include gary stus thing well maybe except some pure drama or romance novel .. the difference is how much is it has gary stus thing ..
    maybe you can ask some novel with really low gary stus thing because i really hard to recall some novel which mc dont have high plot armor even they purely really weak and hardworking

7. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To see if a character is a one you have to remove that character , if the story improved then they are one. There are characters that looks loke one at first glance but it isn't . example of this is The Doctor . You think he is perfect but if you take into account his race and fate you would see he not.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Poor_Hero, Cupcake Ninja and NeaxD like this.
  8. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see why anyone would ask for Wuxia or Xianxia that is not Mary Sue or plot armour. Do remember that xia means hero and for hero to save the day or do heroic deeds, plot armour is going to hug them like pandas. They will make the impossible possible. Plus it's a genre that is flooded with that kind of scenarios. I am generalizing, so don't criticize me.

Just look for non-Wuxia or Xianxia novels but that is the current hype atm. So, you need to wait. Or some of the romance or comedy CN out there, I think.

Poor_Hero and Feinzell like this.
  9. Fordask

Fordask I feel like having a Bacon Pizza

Reading List:
    Link
    Its about as easy to find as the elusive snipe. Might as well ask people to go out and find you some headlight fluid.

Poor_Hero and Cupcake Ninja like this.
  10. Sindaregion

Sindaregion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Mary Sue term is way overused, and it's actual meaning has become a bit muddled. Mary Sue originally meant a person in a fan fiction work that represented the authors wish fulfillment by putting themselves in the world that the fan fiction is based on (e.g. Harry Potter-verse). There, the Mary Sue character would usually be superbly talented, speak 6 languages, know all forms of martial arts, sing amazingly, play every instrument, is insanely attractive (if male gets harem), etc. you should get the idea.

A good amount of xianxia can be considered as Mary Sue works (MGS, PMG) but many are not.

For example, Linley in Coiling Dragon is definitely not a Mary Sue. Sure, he's talented and lucky, but it all makes sense in the context of the story and he is never overwhelmingly so. Also, there is never a huge wish fulfillment motive behind the story (MGA, looking at you).

Meanwhile, the mc from Martial God Space is a perfect Mary Sue. The tip-off is that he is reincarnated, yet the actual reincarnation is never really mentioned again, and only serves as a vehicle for wish fulfillment. Add to this the absurd and unrealistic luck and power ups, and you get a Mary Sue.

Razorace likes this.
  11. Synonym

Synonym Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Xian Ni? No? I'll just make my way out.

12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you read Western fantasy, with the rise of grimdark, believe me you will find plenty of novels with plot armor that attracts bullets and is weaker than wet-paper. Just most of the authors are way too trigger happy

13. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    oh? doctor who reference? me like

14. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, i agree. But honestly i have heard the MC of MGS at least mention his original world a lot more than other MC like him. He just never uses the knowledge from that world. Not any of the reincarnated xianxia MCs from earth ever do. Really, i wonder why. It just makes you think the author could have thrown out the idea of making the MC come from another world, and it wouldnt affect the plot at all.

15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
  16. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    iirc he literally falls on a treasure from his fellow disciples in the same sect that allows him to power level himself with trash items.

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  17. Sindaregion

Sindaregion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And that's the mark of wish fulfillment, which is half of the way to a Mary Sue.

18. Asf

Reading List:
    Link
    ..... welp... beeing the number 1 genius in an academy with magic, combat, and sculpting.. school most beautifull madonna falls in love with him without him doing anything.. reviving dead relatives.. exceeding your most powerfull ancestor in another realm.. its wish fullfilment alright

19. Asf

Reading List:
    Link
    if he is.. than I dont know any that isnt. Imo. All of em have imba treasures whatnot

NeaxD likes this.
  20. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    so whats with the read Xs? i've been wondering because i have seen no less than 2 or three people with the same red X of their profile pics.