Discussion Have you thought about... Genders? (Inv, please... just stop.)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Prinny the Magican, May 12, 2018.

?

What gender?

1. Male

2. Female

3. Gender-bender

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link

I wonder, do you ever shut up? No, I mean seriously. I was done with this petty argument but yet you felt you had to say something. What was the point? Were you that triggered that others don't agree with you and don't like you? Do you want to be my friend or something?

This conversation's done and over with.

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the internet, people can chose to respond or not respond. If you said that you were not going to respond, then simply don't respond! I never said I wouldn't respond though.

I think the one who was triggered was you, hence why you continue to respond when you say you won't. Personally, if I decide I'm not gonna respond, I don't respond. I don't even bother saying that I won't respond because it is pointless. (though sometimes I also forget to respond)

3. WhoCaresnovels

WhoCaresnovels Krill

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with any gender for my MC's. (In fact, I've written stories with characters of all kinds of gender identities.) Also feel like not having a preference should have been an option in the poll but whatever.

Will say though, stepping out of your comfort zone can be incredibly rewarding for a reader. Specifically if you feel like you can't relate to an MC who isn't your gender, it can be useful to stop consciously thinking about it and reading the story. I find a lot of people who feel that way are mostly just boxing themselves in because they think they can't relate when in reality, they realize they could have done so all along.

After all, if you're on this site, you're probably reading fiction and unless there's a secret society of cultivators or mages or mahou shoujo zombie dragons in the real world and you're a part of it, it's very likely you're reading a story about a character that isn't like you at all but still enjoying it and immersing yourself in their experiences.

So yeah, my advice is to think about gender and be conscious of it but don't let it box you in with expectations for 'what the MC must be like' or whatever. Also, if an MC is fulfilling all of your preconceived notions, then the author isn't doing a good job anyways. Just my two cents.

4. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair point: I didn't need to respond but because of my OCD I can't not have the last word. So your advice has been taken to heart. You have been set to ignore, reported and I will never have a conversation on this site with you again.

5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not went off topic

6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't really care. But I usually read Male MC because of action and stuff, never really like romance that much.

7. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't care less . Read male mc, read female mc, read gender bend and crossdress novel already

8. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll read anything! That conforms to male or female.

9. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    I read everything as long as it is genre that i like. Male, female, gender bender, no gender.

But i cant stand futa...

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't quite get it, what kind of novels are you all reading? Seriously, I never saw any of those and I read mostly Female MC novels.

Like, I read a fair amount of female MC novels with little to no romance on them, without stupid male leads and without absolutely crazy personalities on the MC... As in... I read novels with believable characters? It's not that hard to find them tbh.

Are you all just reading novels that happen to be posted on a site in which authors are paid for word count, so they need to make the novels humongously big and repetitive with lots of super cliche tropes or something? Because I really can't get how you would see them like that otherwise?
    Yeah, that seems like the only reasonable reply to that...
    I know right!? Black Bellied characters in general are just plain horrible! Good thing I only saw one of those so far! >.<

I don't mind MLs, but the story can't focus on them, or it ends up being just cringy! I like the stories that are about the MC and the love interest is a part of it, not the whole of it! ^^)/

11. Masuri

Masuri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with all of them as long as the novel is something decent. Mc being a genderbend, female , male or crossover is something I can look over as long as the story is something I enjoy.

12. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well personally I was just talking about my perspective from the novels limited in this site. Since besides web novels I don’t read much else.

You should also take a lot of the opinions on this thread as people who mainly read Chinese japanese translated novels rather than actual book readers, if not you’ll just give yourself a head ache thinking about it. Lolol.

A lot of us really haven’t touched the truly great novels in the world

13. TerranImperium

TerranImperium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made a thread in "I'm Looking For..." asking about Female MCs without a shitty romance. I got plenty but they are still quite limited really. I'm personally only reading on RRL or this site for novels.
    I might need to look harder but its demoralizing when I use the Series Finder and the first three pages are about shitty CN romance, JP raping novels or KN with creepy dominating ML.

And I read on SpaceBattles, Sufficient Velocity, Questionable Questing and 4chan but these guys seems to have an unhealthy love for lesbians/yuri but you just kinda need to deal with it.

14. drollawake

drollawake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same preferences here. I would read more female MC novels if they weren't so focused on the romance. Why'd you got to make her like a strong and independent woman who don't need no man, and then turn around and make a big fuss about her man? It's no better than those male MC novels where the waifu collecting takes over the plot.

When I read the mass of reviews squealing about the male leads--who usually don't allow the MC to be her strong and independent self--it makes me realise why no one bothers translating female MC novels with no romance.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm speaking about novels on NU actually... Most stuff I read are just Slice of Life and without cringy romance or any romance at times...

I just get curious on how I saw so many people complaining about all novels being like that when I pretty much exclude those obviously bad novels just by reading their synopsis and actually read plenty of more interesting stuff...
    There are plenty of non-romance Female MC novels being translated though? It's not even that hard to find them...

16. drollawake

drollawake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Suggestions? Are they mostly slice-of-life and Japanese?

17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly read Japanese novels, so I can only recommend those~

Ascendance of a Bookworm is a good one for example, way more realistic than most other novels I have read while still keeping a light tone overall.
    Akuyaku Tensei is a darker one that revolves a lot around managing a fief, wars and stuff like that with not much fluff on it overall.
    Gomen ne, Onii-sama is a very nice one about a girl that is more obsessed about making things go the way they are supposed to than anything else, also pretty dark.
    Kenkyo Kenjitsu is a lovely comedy full of fluff and pure slice of life at that, while the MC is interesting in romance, there is very little romance on the novel.
    The Reincarnated Person Doesn't Want to Cheat is more of a fantasy lighthearted isekai than anything, I'm not quite sure what direction it will take, but no romance seems to be in the mind of the author at the point the novel is in.

There are a few others with different degrees of focus on MLs and on Romance, but those are the ones I can remember from the top of my head that didn't seem to have any romance as far as the translation went.

TerranImperium likes this.
  18. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I don't really do slice of life novels so I guess that's why I don't find more good female mc's. Also I've read plenty of non web novels with female mc's and to be honest they generally screw up female mc's nearly as bad as female support characters in web novels. This is mainly a problem with my typical genre I choose from as I'm sure there are probably many good female mc's in romance novels and slice of life as those that read novels of those two genres will be able to point out.

But I don't read those genres so since I find them boring mostly so I guess I'm doomed to mostly terrible female mc's.

19. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind the MC's gender if i like the novel. :aww:

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I see.

Hmmmmmm... I'd tell you to give Akuyaku Tensei and Gomen Ne, Onii-sama a shot then, they might fit your taste... The other ones probably won't though.

I'd try recommending more, but I read way too little things these days to know anything else! >.<

Invisalats likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.