Hello I need help here

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Return, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    I see thanks I contacted Samsung support and they said I can upgrade my i3 three digit generation to i5 three digit generation

2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait do I3 core first gen have mobile processor? Or your doing BGA? Or they are changing the laptop motherboard?
    Go ahead, I5 should be twice as strong as I3.

3. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    My laptop is samsung

4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost every laptop has the CPU soldered onto the motherboard. Upgrading a laptop CPU is usually difficult, if not impossible, without replacing the whole motherboard. The same is true for laptop GPUs.

I just looked up your laptop. It has an i3-380M CPU. That was a lower-end processor when it was released 10 years ago, and it hasn't aged well. Even if your laptop is one of the rare few that allows you to upgrade the processor, an i5 from the same generation of processors would be just about as bad at playing modern games. If you can get a free upgrade, go for it. Don't pay for an upgrade. It's not worth it.

The GPU is also unusable for most games. Based on the specs I found online, some models of your laptop use integrated graphics. The best GPU that you can get for that model of laptop is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. That was on the low-end of ATI's graphics lineup when it was released 10 years ago, and it's not capable of playing most modern games no matter what you do.

Upgrading your memory might improve your experience with daily tasks depending on how much your laptop currently has, but the other specs of your laptop make the prospect of playing modern games unlikely. If your laptop has integrated graphics, you won't be able to play much of anything. If your laptop has the ATI GPU, you might be able to play older games like Left 4 Dead on low settings, but it might not be a great experience.

TL;DR: It's unlikely that you'll be able to upgrade your CPU or GPU. Even if you can, it's not worth paying for an upgrade to a laptop that old. Even the best CPU and GPU that you could get with your laptop aren't capable of running high-end 3D games from 2010. You might be able to run older 3D games, but the experience might not be great.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    runsing likes this.
  5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    they do. i happened to have on hand a HP pavilion, with i3 390m clocked at 2.66GHz. i was able to obtain an i5 560m and replaced it. however, after a few test, i quickly revert to the original processor. there are few issues prompt me to do so. :sweating_profusely:

one, the laptop is noticeably hotter thanks to increased clock speed of the i5 despite i dissambled the entire cooler unit (and the laptop), cleaning and replacing all the thermal grease/pad. hp (and compaq) laptop of that generation is too poorly build, in terms of heat dissipation.
    two, the fps gain is not worth the increased heat, at least from my pov. i want to sell the laptop, and making sure it survives longer is of higher priority to me.

not quite. all Core mobile processors, be it i3 or i5 of that generation only has 2 cores, 4 threads. the main difference is, i3 has no Turbo-boost, while i5 and i7 has. The difference between i5 and i7 on the other hand was: i5's turbo is ~500Mhz higher than the base clock speed, while i7 is ~600Mhz. oh, and i7 has 4MB cache, while i5 and i3 has 3MB. intel is stingy after all.

while most i7 models (mobile) only has 2 core, 4 threads, there are a few with 4 cores. those are very hot and only used on high-performance laptop. those processors have 'Q' in their name, iinm. the downside is that they have very low base clock ( <2GHz )

while it is technically true you can upgrade the your processor to an i5, but you'll need at least an i5 460m (which its base clock speed is similar to your i3 @ 2.53GHz). cross-checking the wiki, there are 5 of them:
    • i5 460M
    • i5 480M
    • i5 540M
    • i5 560M
    • i5 580M
    otherwise, just being an i5 will not get you any (noticeable) improvement if it is clocked slower than your current i3.

like @Jeebus said, unless your laptop came with an ATI graphic, you are stuck with the Intel HD Graphics, which yield the same performance across all intel's Core lineup.

(somewhat) luckily however, it is not yet at the end of the road. there are still a few steps you can take to squeeze a couple more frame from that integrated GPU. watch this video.

after that, try browsing that channel to see if there's a low-graphic tweak for your game. alternatively, there's https://www.gameplay.icu/ . i was able to somewhat play Witcher 3 on an Intel HD 5500 (5th gen i5) less than a week ago, thanks to a config tweak from them (y)

btw, upgrade your ram to at least 6 or 8 GB first. then, upgrade to an ssd, if you haven't yet done so.
    upgrading the processor should come last, after everything.

6. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks alot for help it helped me alot I have given up on the laptop and installed mint Linux and throw him away I will go get my new laptop and tweak with it the specs are
    dell inspiron 15 3000 amd a9-9425
    I will tweak that then with external graphics card using exp gdc

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought i3 will usually come with lesser Instruction set for the CPU. Making it insufficient even at same clock.
    Though Lucky for me, My laptop come with pcie3.0 x8 lanes. Pretty much can upgrade any NVIDIA cards but not amd. (AMD need External monitor)

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the most part, instruction sets are similar in the same generation of processors. Most CPUs are binned. An i3 will generally use the same silicon as an i7. A near-perfect processor will be an i7. If the processor has a damaged core or two, Intel will disable the damaged parts and sell the processor as an i3 or i5. The general difference between i3, i5, and i7 for desktop has been that i3's have half the cores of an i5 but have hyperthreading; i5's have the same number of cores as an i7 but no hyperthreading; and i7's have hyperthreading. Also, clock speeds go up as you go up the product stack. i3's generally have a lower clock speed than i5's, with i7's faster than i5's. The 9000-series and the 10-series don't follow the old rules of cores and threads because of the competition from AMD, but the rule about clock speeds is still true.

For laptops, there aren't any rules because there are H, U, and, Y SKUs for Intel mobile processors. With the different combinations of letters and numbers for mobile processors, there aren't any general rules that you can apply to the i3, i5, and i7 mobile families of processors.

9. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not true, Usually I3 and Pentium will lack instructions. the West-mere seems fine, but the sandy-bridge I3 started to have missing instructions till it really make difference compare to i5.
    I3 is missing on: Intel VT-d, TXT, AES
    Not that bad lol. Most of time i5 get to have every functionality, Pentiums most of time will get it worst.
    Though my impression of Westmere is all X58 and Xeon. And sandy bridge is all 2550k, 2600k @ 5Ghz

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  10. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Install Linux and make it its main OS. You would be mostly limited to browser games but the PC will get much much faster.

11. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks a lot i bought new laptop already