Help in looking for laptop RAM?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miku, Sep 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for RAM honestly stressed me out. my laptop specs is this and this. FX506HM, i7-11800H. it is said that I can upgrade my RAM to 64 GB. I'm looking to do that. but... this about x8 and x16, and then about latency... Honestly it's stressing me, as not every RAM maker shows this information. I'm just looking for a SODIMM stick 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, if it is possible to upgrade to that.

Help?

@xiazixin @runsing

2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    32 Gb perstick don't have the issue of x16 or x8. Those only come in 8GB per stick, buying 16GB per stick or 32GB per stick don't have those issues.

As for latency, Intel mobile 11th gen have twice the L3 cache, so you should be able to shop blind.
    They also are a non existence issue for you. Only the amd system need to worry about it.

Thats one 1r x8 and 1r x16.
    In 2rx8 and 2rx16 I have not heard of those proplems. (which is used in 32GB per stick)

Though if you buy right now it should all be 2rx8.

For your information, 4r 4x which is the used in older servers still exists in ddr3. Those memories won't work with intel but work fine with bulldozen or AM3 sockets. And they are really cheap. They are usually called amd only memory or 4bit memory.

And 2r x8 is 2 rank 8 bit bus. There is not much different in 1rx8 and 1rx8. You should not take my word for this.
    But 1rx8 overclocks better. double sited mem die should kill them self in overclocking
    . For laptop it's all the same.

x16 memory? It will be atrocities to CPU. X16 memory have more bandwidth but more memory. It's fine if it's APU like 2400G or some thing. It have performance benefits to IGPU.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Miku and runsing like this.