help me design a system please

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by tytania, Dec 13, 2018.

1. tytania

tytania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am currently making a novel called Third Game: The Burning Dream and currently stuck on something... you see my novel is about a guy making video game and growing it into his own video game empire with a help from a God, that gave him an item that can help him make the game he design, and... long story short I dont know how to make present item he received to the reader and wandering what should i do with it, should i make it into a system or just AI helping device and how do i make it work. Any ideas what to do

2. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    1.if your work is written same way as this post get editor or someone to check it for you.
    2. How about making it an application?

3. Fort de Knox

Fort de Knox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Game is not my genre. Sorry.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on how you plan to work out the plot... but why not try to relate to modern game making?

Modern game making involves first creating an engine, then using that engine to design the game. There are also premade engines like Unreal and Unity. So why not make it the ultimate gaming engine? And you can mix in an AI helper and system to unlock stuff in the engine?

PS This is a better section for this kind of discussions:

https://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/author-discussions.1057/

tytania likes this.
  5. tytania

Reading List:
    Link
    In the Novel General someone game me an advice to make the item the mc recieve into a game engine with a mix of AI and System in it and i wonder what content should i make for this system and AI

But should i make the AI and System do?

Like how to unlock the stuff in the engine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2018
    AhoDesuGa and Lianna like this.
  6. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    ...You have to give us something to work with. What type of system? Is the mc the only one with this system? If no, how do others become strong (or whatever the system is assisting the mc with)? is an OP MC the goal or not?

Almerish and Lianna like this.
  7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, generally, to unlock stuff you would have to get some sort of quest? or reach some achievement? This can be done via system.

I would also see about adding some sort of sprites to assist the MC. (and sometimes add unpredictability to the games even for the MC). This also allows some communication to make it less boring during the development phase.

Also, have the MC be able to enter the games himself during development so he can see his own worlds kind of like Unreal VR Mode

It is kind of hard to give suggestions without understanding the plot of the story as a whole. Like why did god give him a system? Is chaos energy being converted into games to stabilize the world? Are games in reality parallel worlds? And what is MCs objective?

PS Keep in mind, everything I offer is just general advice, the story should be your own, so you can take things into consideration, but you should never let others write your story.

8. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there passive system and there active one. most are active.

active system - the one that will respond to user
    passive - will not talk to user. usually user have to find out the system usage by himself.

as the most system novel goes, it usually attach to a job : mechanic, martial artist, teacher or even by genre like wuxia, xianxia, anime.

just pick one and then figure out the details

9. tytania

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of sprites and unpredictability you mean? Can you give me some example?

10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    By sprites I mean like faeries or something. Kind of like how dungeon master novels tend to have an avatar of the dungeon.

And unpredictability means them doing something to the game because they like it but MC is not fully aware. Dungeon Hunter for example has a fairy help him out. But she does stupid ridiculous things that at first seem like mess the MC up, but somehow ends up helping him.

But I really can't give you much help until you outline the purpose of the novel. Because all the inner system should be part of a bigger picture. And without knowing that I'm simply throwing ideas based on concepts I've seen. But they could be wrong for your specific novel

11. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    AI was depend on data it know and it can think and talking so than using AI better is VI so they will act passive. also what kind system ??

12. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you cant even think of a system (i presume an foundation of youre story) i dont see how this story will go and be interesting.
    If the system isn't foundation then why bother making it?

LOTRfreak101 likes this.
  13. tytania

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try read the first chapter of my novel in webnovel

14. Yaoikun

Yaoikun The other Red Siblings | Cursed Black Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    The system I recommend is take-a-number system.

In our fast paced world, queue systems as much as everything else in this world, need to embrace, evolve and adapt to our modern world digital advancements.

One such relic among queue management systems is a so-called take-a-number system. Despite its age, we can still see it being used at DMVs, fast food restaurants, banks, post offices, pharmacies, etc. Now I suggest that your MC uses it as well by changing it to digital and AI system of yours.

A take-a-number system works exactly as you’d imagine — you arrive at a location, take a printed-out numbered ticket, and wait for your turn.

15. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not make the MC a scientist like Tony Stark. He got a kickass Ai chip Jarvis planted in his spinal cord. But then he died after being stranded in space, food and water run out 4 days ago, oxygen will run out tomorrow morning.

Then he reincarnated into his teenager self with Jarvis still planted in his spinal cord. He then create a harem and face slap anyone that talk shit about him while stealing their fiancee.

Ai chan likes this.
  16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    @inv suggested a game engine because there's really no item that a god would give to some weird guy who makes a game to dominate the world. Except maybe money, or brainwashing powers.

If you do not know what a game engine is or how it works, your story will go nowhere. I suggest that you research what a game engine is and what capabilities they have first before you write the story if you want to make this the item that God give the protagonist. Then, you can make the content of the game engine similar to the combination of the best game engines you have tried. It's like fanfiction, but with game engines instead of stories. Construct 2 has a free to use license. If I'm not mistaken, Stencyl is free. Unreal Engine 4 is completely free if you're not planning on selling the game.