Question Help me out on this

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Keon, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Keon

Keon Legend of Xingfeng TL

Reading List:
    Link
    他观真武神像座前的蛇山、龟山,心想这一龟一蛇正是兼收至重至灵的两件物性,竟从中创制出一套精妙无方的武功出来。然而,从大气磅礴的龟、蛇二山山势演化而来的武功决非一人之力能同时施为。于是他传了七位弟子每人一套武功,各有精微奥妙之处,若二人合力,则攻守妆备,威力大增。若三人同使,比二人同使的威力又强一倍。四人相当于八位高手,五人相当于十六位,六人相当于三十二位,七人相当于六十四位当世一流高手同时出手。

Yeah, this chunk of text where I need help in

2. Keon

Reading List:
    Link
  3. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    From what novel is this from?

4. Keon

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Xingfeng

5. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    He observed the Lord Statue (真武神像) which sits in front of the Serpent (蛇) Mountain, Tortoise Mountain (龟山), thinking to himself that this tortoise and snake are really two (兼收至重至灵的两件物性)(?) from which you can create a collection of extremely extinguished martial arts. However, 从大气磅礴的龟、蛇二山山势演化而来的武功决非一人之力能同时施为。As a result, he passed down a set of martial arts to each of his seven disciplines, each with its own subtle profoundness. If two people worked together, their offense and defense would increase greatly. If three people worked together, their power would be doubled that of a single person. Four people would be comparable to an Eight Position Expert, five people would be the equivalent of a Sixteen Position Expert, six people would be equivalent to a Thirty-two Position Expert, and seven people would be equivalent to a sixty-four position expert and another top expert attacking at the same time.

真武 - Lord of the Profound Heavens, aka Black Tortoise or Pinyin, Zhenwu. Or is it turtle?
    神像 - Image of a God.. so I just put statue
    蛇 - Also Snake, but Serpent sounds better
    兼收至重至灵的两件物性 - I think this is an idiom? Not too good with those... or my brain just doesn't get it.
    从大气磅礴的龟、蛇二山山势演化而来的武功决非一人之力能同时施为。 - I understand this, but I dunno how I would put it in English terms... yeah. A little too many unknown terms for me
    位当世 - I put down position, but you probably have a better term for those cultivations.

As I have never read Legend of Xingfend, some terms are most probably off lol
    And I died.... This paragraph orz..... I really hate it too
    This time's help is an utter fail... there are just too many terms... Sorry
    Why didn't anyone else come though?
    o_O

Hoped I helped, even a little :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. Razorace

Razorace Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He observed Snake [Shé] mountain [peak], Turtle [Guī] Mountain [peak] situated in front of the "Godly True Martial Statue", and thought that this Snake and Turtle pair is the best for apprehending the levels (of technique) and essence within, incredibly managed to create a set of sophisticated technique exquisite with no comparison. However, the techniques derived from the formation [geographic shape] of the majestic Snake and Turtle mountains can not be simultaneously used [applied] by a single [sole] person. Therefore he passed one set to each of his seven disciples, each [the technique] with their own subtlety. Should two co-operate, power spikes, offense and defense becomes comprehensive. Should three be used simultaneously, the effect doubles again over the duo. Four (people) is equals to eight masters, five equals to sixteen, six to thirty two and seven is equivalent to sixty-four of the current first rate masters acting simultaneously.

Key:
    [] alternatives depending on your translation style i.e. if you use full names or literal names
    () optional additions

Probably have an editor look over this (I see you are recruiting), since this is just a rough draft. Better wording possibly exists as well.

Also I thought I'd give a quick explanation on 兼收至重至灵

兼收 here roughly means "good for receiving"
    至重至灵 is not an idiom as far as I'm aware, 至 here defines that "it's to the utter (best) and 重 represents the "level", like in training you would state you are at "<number>重" of Chi/Skill/Style of martial art in typical wuxia etc.
    灵 is just essence here.

Therefore it becomes "best for apprehending the levels (of technique) and essence" or something along those lines.

SnowTime likes this.
  7. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, much better than mine. I really not suit for this, sigh
    Mine is such a noob work lol

8. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, I might be wrong (quite often) and it's not guaranteed that I will be as active as I am right now when IRL commitments picks up. So don't feel disheartened! As I'm sure most people will agree with, more help is always appreciated as long as it's well thought out.

9. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehe, energy UP! :D
    I try to help wherever I can, but my dad say's I'll be leading them astray lol

10. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Atleast you're better than someone who can't even read chinese and translate

11. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    Off-topic:
    Leading them astray...
    Don't do drugs!
    Ahem yeah... the combined technique thing reminds me of
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SnowTime likes this.
  12. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank goodness.... The new method of summoning help work out!

13. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, but only two of us appeared

14. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I am 140% still half asleep and only woke up to walk the dogs like 20 feet and go back to sleep to sleep in. But that aside...

To me, 至重至灵 refers to something else and not levels. If you think about turtles and snakes, what attribute do they represent? Something like heavy (沉重) and nimble (靈巧) is my guess. And if you turn it into some set of skills, it'll probably be very good since it can deal heavy blows, strong defensive stances, quick and nimbleness.

Bed I go. Good luck!

15. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    Here 重 is read as chóng, for example:

三重墙 - Sānchóng qiáng
    three layers/levels of wall.

16. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Two still better than a bare light bulb

17. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand what you're referring to. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when you toss it within the context. Levels/layers and essences just don't seem to have any direct relationship with turtles and snakes.

And I went googling. I found the text from Legend of Xingfeng, but I also found a more detailed version of it:

18. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    @Slimikyi Yeah, I made a mistake and from the expanded text it seems the Snake represents wisdom and the Turtle represents dignity.

Instead, the phrase then becomes something similar to:
    "Snake and Turtle pair is the best for perceiving/gaining the traits/properties of wisdom and dignity."

19. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    他观真武神像座前的蛇山、龟山,
    He observes the Snake Mountain and Turtle Mountain that's in front of True Martial (真武)God(神)Statue(像) ,
    心想这一龟一蛇正是兼收至重至灵的两件物性,
    thinking that a turtle and a snake are receiving the nature of mass and spirit concurrently, (龜至重 蛇至靈, think this was some taichi formation shit from some fictional works, I don't remember their meanings, but it is not meant to be literal as they are metaphor for something), also 兼收 meanings receiving concurrently/at the same time,
    竟从中创制出一套精妙无方的武功出来。
    which unexpectedly create a flawless exquisite set of martial arts from within.
    然而,从大气磅礴的龟、蛇二山山势演化而来的武功决非一人之力能同时施为。
    However, the martial art derived from the majestic topography of the two Turtle and Snake mountains isn't something that can be handled by an individual's ability.
    于是他传了七位弟子每人一套武功,
    Thus he passed down a set of martial art for each of his seven disciples,
    各有精微奥妙之处,若二人合力,则攻守妆备,威力大增。若三人同使,比二人同使的威力又强一倍。
    Each of them has their own profound and mysterious strengths, if two cooperates, the make up of attack and defense will increase greatly. If three cooperates, two of the users' strength will further double. (I think the author got lazy or something to use 妆备 o_O)
    四人相当于八位高手,五人相当于十六位,六人相当于三十二位,七人相当于六十四位当世一流高手同时出手。
    4 (cooperating) is the equivalent of 8 experts, 5 to 16, six to 32, 7 is equal to 64 world class expert acting together.

Edit: Sorry for the late arrival, I kinda just... leave the tab open and forget about it (all the time) wwwwww
    Edit 2: Eh... I should probably read the replies before I started my own version, huh... >.> Seems like you guys got 龜至重 蛇至靈 solved :p

Razorace likes this.
  20. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, don't even get me started on this- I pretty much got it wrong twice orz.....

Glad it's most likely indisputably solved now.

sumguy likes this.