Help me!

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Anvis, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Anvis

Anvis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am writing a novel but I can't come up with names can somebody give me tips or suggestion.

2. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know what you are going to be writing about or the general theme of your novel? That is also useful when you are choosing names.

YoanRoturier likes this.
  4. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look for the character's character, then make up your name based on that? Look at FA scans in My Hero Academia when they introduced character's name.

I'm partial to latin as it is pretty popular https://www.momjunction.com/baby-names/latin/girl/

5. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    Asian best for cultivation style fantasy~
    White best for Scify.
    I have yet to see the last nameset anywhere -.-

kkgoh likes this.
  6. Deleted member 300842

Deleted member 300842 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Latin names most of the time that links to the story or characteristics and personality of the characters or to when they appear in the story or use names that is foreshadowing something.

7. YoanRoturier

YoanRoturier Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hum, if you have to choose a name, think about the character's background story and try to match the name to it. A very simple example would be if your character comes from Japan you will be more likely to give him a Japanese name rather than an American one. Of course, there are exceptions to this. I've read a novel where the MC had a girl's name. But that was justified by the background story by the fact that his parents really did not care about him.

There are other factors for names. Another example: I choose the name Jack for a monkey in my novel because the MC's best friend was Jack and since he felt very lonely, he called the other living being on the island he lived on "Jack."

Or... you could go with a name generator.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.