Question Help! My mom wants to read CN/KR novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Katra1212, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She only read 3 novels till she was stopped by paywall. :blobjoy: And no, 1. A sister runaway bride, so the MC replaced her as a bride cause she need money for grandma's fees. 2. Drunk ML walked into her hotel and impregnated her cliche. 3. A naive MC fooled into a loveless marriage who also impregnated her only to find out he's married already with someone else.(how that can be possible is beyond me.) ML is prob her Lawyer or something.

Arrgh. My teeth was grinding so hard, cause it was all too cheesy and cliche. It was trash novels. Guess I grew up.

So no, she wasn't exposed to transmigration /reincarnation genre.

2. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    As I mentioned she's 50+ years old.

3. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend insanity, best romcom.

4. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobspearpeek::blobcat_rawr::blobcat_knife:

5. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't see that post because when I started writing it wasn't there. I think like 4-5 ppl posted while I was still writing. anyways my mom is a sucker for drama and romance the kind where the main characters he/she is really poor and the love interest family doesn't accept him/her and they try to get rid of him/her using all kinds of tricks,ploys, traps, lies etc.

Demon Wang’s Golden Favorite Fei <--not modern tho it's still good

I Don’t Like The World, I Only Like You <--- this one is modern day

one thing about chinese web novel don't seem to have depth that someone from our mom's era would like tho since most of the characters in chinese novel seem very 2 dimensional which makes them fun, but not realistic. my mom seems to have a dislike for these kinds of novels even anime, manga along with syfy and anything that has to do with space travel.

Katra1212 likes this.
  6. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. The reason why I'm asking for opinion is because I have too much high standards now. As a novel fanatic, I'm very particular to what type of genre I like. Those we now called trash novels were actually good novels when the asian webnovel community was still new. Even I was addicted to faceslapping novels until more series and novels came, only then did I know that it was trash compared to some of the best released now. It took years to hone that understanding. Maybe I should just name a few of the trash ones so that she won't have a hard time looking for the next good novels? After all, it's really hard to lower your standards, rather than the opposite.

Hmm... Must be because they were exposed to the era of melodrama, the latin america type drama hit on series and pocketbooks. So female lead sufferings is a must. It's part of the appeal why dramas became famous in the midst of social change. My mom also don't understand manga and anime because she was not exposed to it as a child. And later on as she grew up, watching dramas was much more favorable than anime. Her and computers don't get along so there is no way she'll able to got her hands on mangas.

As for scifi, my dad liked star wars but she doesn't feel the same appeal. I liked scifi so she was a tag along when we watched movies, but I'm a hard core technology girl, sometimes alien-sometimes getting lost in the universe type of girl, and more of psychological and action dystopian settings. And she sort of understands it's all fantasy so she lets it get away from her rationality. But she' s very open minded and accepting, so long as we say it's good she'll try it immediately, no questions asked. Haha... Just now, I put Hidden Marriage as top no. 1 rec, and she's reading it now before even viewing the number 2 on the top 10 I created so hard. I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    thats cool of your mom to be open to new things I can't get my mom to try something new unless manipulate her into it.

for example Ill tell her that this movie is good and she will get bored first 5-10 minutes telling me it's boring because she doesn't seem to understand that they need to build a plot and story, but after she will get sucked into the movie and like it , but because she got bored in the beginning and didn't pay attention in the middle of the movie she starts to ask me questions. What why where and how? then she goes and has to watch it again and when she is done she want to tell me all about it and how much she liked the movie. it's like she doesn't trust me to recommend good movies (I am a huge cinephile) I watch I buy and collect my favorite movies, but she doesn't understand that either.

my mom and technology are mortal enemies too.

8. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    give her quickly wear the face of the devil and turn her into a fujoshi :blobhyperthink:
    try give her a completed one ?

9. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no. I can never. My parents are very old school. Despite the years of me chipping that, some ways can never be changed. Although she accepts lgbt, and may have opened her heart if a gay indeed was born out of her sons (w/c is impossible now) but she'll be scandalous of those works. First and foremost, she'll realize how depraved her daughter is. I am the most daredevil daughter but in terms of literature I'm infamous in the family for being very straightlaced. So nope. Can't break my reputation. It's better if she stumbled into it herself. There's a reason why gay sex is considered as taboo during their time. People literality kill their son for being gay. After all it's a shame in the family.

Novela likes this.
  10. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    My mom has been reading Chinese novels for 20+ years and one of her favorites is Pharaoh's Concubine. The romance and plotline is not the fluffiest but it definitely caters to a more mature audience. There's a lot of interesting politics and time travel in the story. I'd probably wait for translation to complete.

If your mom likes modern face-slapping, I recommend Hidden Marriage. It has all the classic tropes and is probably in line with this stuff you mentioned:
    Though NU doesn't list all the chapters, you can read at the Qidian Underground. Full title is Full Marks Hidden Marriage: Pick Up a Son, Get a Free Husband.

If your mom likes a more mature historical romance, I would check out Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang. I think it recently got adapted to a drama too.

If your mom is interested in a face-slapping historical romance I kinda recommend The Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage. If it's her first time reading historical chinese novels, immersion might be difficult since there are a lot of untranslated terms like Gonggong, Bengong, Zhen, etc.

I think your mom should give transmigration a whirl. It's a fun category, especially if you've never been exposed to it before. A really good face-slapping fantasy one is Genius Doctor: Black Belly Miss.

Katra1212 likes this.
  11. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask ur mom to make a thread and we'll recommend her it ^v^)

12. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Thanks for this. Your mom is a chinese or can read chinese? Afterall, the CN trans community is too young to have a platinum anniversary.

She's extremely new to reading. She was extremely bored because of lockdown. She stopped reading anything ever since she was 20 after marriage. That wide gap of over 30+ years basically cleaned her slate of any preferences in books. The reason I've picked modern is because she's used to watching modern drama. But so long as I recommend it, she'll definitely try any genre. I just don't want to give her something she can't handle cause she's going to try hard to finish it at all cost, whether she like it or not, just to see where and how I rated the novel so high. That the kinda momma she is.

I actually did think first and recommended Hidden Marriage to her. It tick all her boxes. I just worry she won't recognize whose name is whose. Even now, when almost similar char name appears, I sometimes interchange them. Chinese name took a long time to get used to. I was trying to find where author or translator used Western names. Like in many stallion western style QI novels or korean novels that's a bit more mature than shoujo but not so that it's smut.

Vermouth likes this.
  13. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    My mom is Chinese and she's been a massive bookworm her whole life.

Your momma sounds really sweet!

If you want novels with Western names, that might be a bit harder since it narrows the scope. A lot of Korean romance novels have Western names, but they often are smutty (Lucia) or just lighthearted romances with surface-level drama/depth (Return of the Female Knight). Also there aren't a lot of good completed Korean romance novels at the moment other than Lucia I'd say.

If she's open to trying a novel with a male lead, I recommend Coiling Dragon. The setting is Western. There's also no harem, which makes it more palatable for a female audience. It's considered a classic in the translation community and is a great introduction to a lot of common tropes in the translated webnovel scene.

14. PaigeTheParrot

PaigeTheParrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first chinese novel was FMHM......it took me a week or more to finish it, and now I don't have patience for any novel with 2000 chapters.:blobxd:
    If you want fluffy romance with completed translations, check the author Chestnut out. I think her stories may be the best recommendation (No transmigration, almost all completed translations, romance, short, and not a lot of faceslapping).
    You can also show her good novels are being translated. Sometimes commenting along with other readers as updates comes out feels more involving (one reason Qidan and Wattpad are popular is the paragraph comments).Maybe one of these will suit her taste
    As far as not remembering the names, I also don't remember the names of the FL and ML after two weeks of completing the novel. Whenever I MTL, I write all the names (7-8) used for the MC in a piece of paper so I can remember who exactly is talking. She can try doing that too, it helps.

15. lazyasianscientist

lazyasianscientist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    I agree with @Little Potato ! Dont subscribe to those platforms. They have bad translations and theyre filled with ads.

I keep on seeing those platforms being advertised in social media like Facebook and they lure in curious readers with cliff hanger sentences.

Those sites will keep on asking for money too :blobconfused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.