Feature Request Help Section for Community Originals or..

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Cien, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    I am requesting a section be added at Community Originals. I know we have a "Translator's Corner" but that is mostly for Translators. Where is the love for Original Compositions authors?

I am requesting for a section for authors to be able to freely ask/request for help, whether its for proof readers, editors, brain storming, art, critiquing, etc.

Some of these stuff usually falls into "Original Creations" , but isn't that section for "Showcase your talent with your artwork and other original creations" and not for requesting stuff from other people?

Also the thread "I'm looking for.." is in the novel section when there are some questions that are clearly not novels (but rather manga, perhaps even anime/movie)

So mainly, a general help section would be nice or at least one for community originals

I would be benefiting for this section

please consider it. thanks

Shio likes this.
  2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not at this time. NU is still 100% focused on Asian translated novels.

Wouldn't it be better to ask Royalroadl for something like that?

3. Cien

Reading List:
    Link
    It might be, and I see your point, but if it really is 100% focused on asian translated novels. Why are there other sections in the forum unrelated to translated novels? I am not talking about the website, im just talking about a forum section.

4. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Cien

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually posted my work there first to have people review it, they gave a few comments and helped me improve it over all so I think it should be something along those lines.

7. Cien

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if you understand my post, but I am basically asking for a different section to that. people basically can't create a thread there saying "Hey guys, can you help me brain storm" or some other general help request for original compositions.

And my previous post, is basically arguing that the NU forums is already not 100% translated novels only, so why is adding another section to it such a big deal?

8. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, well just like what @Tony said, NU really isn't a site for things like that, Try Royalroad, cause the majority of their works there are originals and that they're more of a Japanese and Chinese -esque. There are people who just make one shots and ask for opinions in the hopes of making a series with it so I think it should be something like that.

9. Cien

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i guess you don't even read any of my posts at all or just choose not to acknowledge the points that I have made. The point still stands, in this FORUM, there are Anime, Manga, TV Shows, Movie, how are they related to Translated works? Why would there even be an Original Composition section at all? You are just literally rewording what Tony has said without adding any value to this.

I am talking about the forum. I am not asking for a whole revamp of the website, but just one section of the FORUM to be added. Is it such a hard task? or is it as easy as adding a thread?

10. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I mean I just wanted to help but your points were pretty vague to be honest. Took me a while to realize that I was wrong, and yes although I just repeated what Tony said I can't just recommend you wattpad or fanfic.net now can I?

Anyways I think that adding another one to the already pretty large variety of sub forums is pretty taxing on the mods. But I'm not really a mod so what do I know. Royal road has a majority of what you just said, theres a section where you can ask people to review your work and give you tips and pointers. And just because they have sections for games and other stuff doesn't mean they have to have the section you're talking about.

11. Cien

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I'll rephrase my point to ELI5.

Tony basically says that his box (The Forum) of M&Ms (sections) are all green, but there are clearly other colors within that box. My point is that if there are already other colors in this box why is it so hard to add in just another color?

And your point of it being taxing on the mod? Even a mod liked the first post. If that was the reason Tony had, then I would've probably dropped it.

And for the "And just because they have sections for games and other stuff doesn't mean they have to have the section you're talking about.", This is exactly why i am asking for it. You know, like some sort of a "request"

12. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RRL really is a better place for it, truly. (Though, already, I have several bones to pick with how people use fanfic over there.)

Most of the current forum sections were created back in the early days where anything went. Things are different now. Any new sections and additions are considered a bit more carefully as they may impact the general direction of how and what kinds of visitors use the site. There's also a concern of clutter from having too many forum sections. (I do not speak for Tony in this.)

For now, just use whatever area you think is close enough to they type of "shop talk" you want. It's not like the mods are going to lock it, unless you start asking for tech support or something (my current annoyance right now).

Tony likes this.
  13. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... Since demand influence supply... (and since I am Keynesian), if the demand is not that high the Mod would consider it too much "hassle" for little gain... So unless there is a lot of Original Writer asked for the section, then it existence would be hardly relevant...
    Also, based on the demographics, NUF mostly filled with readers and the number of writer was far lower than writer dominated forum like RR.

For every kind of talking... There always General Chat

14. Cien

Reading List:
    Link
    okay then, I guess ill post any request to general chat section then

Honestly, if it was really a big hassle I wouldn't be asking for it. Creating a subsection should be as easy as creating a thread, especially when its only a few clicks away [source]

15. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, sorry. I guess my replies has been a bit on the bland side lately.

I 100% agree with @remy911 regarding this.