(Help)Trying to Create website for translated novel and created novel

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by LazyDaoist, Jun 30, 2020.

1. LazyDaoist

LazyDaoist New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i'm just started translating and i want to display my created novel but i don't want to publish to another website because some you have to pay then some website needed to have quota in translation and created novel. that's why i decided to create my own site but idk where to started? can you give me some guidance?

2. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Those free website makers are an easy start. WordPress for one.

3. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    start with a blog first, once you are popular enough, then consider buying domain name and server.
    otherwise, you are just wasting your time and money, and then once you stop paying server and domain name, your website will disappear from the internet.
    I recommend blogger to start with, once you have enough traffic you can apply for AdSense without paying anything. However, that take a very long time, at least a few months.
    If you don't want to go through all the troubles and want a better website
    contact @Wujigege

LazyDaoist and Wujigege like this.
  4. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    wordpress

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I can help you setup the website with ads too( Google, Taboola and Infolink Ads)
    I cover the cost of web hosting and domain registration(for one year)
    In exchange for 30% of the ad revenue

6. emi.ying

emi.ying Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WordPress is def one of the good webs for translators. Seen many translators use it to set it up for their translations and personal blogs

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Run, run while you still can. :blobwoah:

Wujigege likes this.
  8. ahs

ahs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently using blogspot, it is simple to use for beginners and easily customizable (provided that you know a bit of HTML- if you don't, google is always there for you). The only downside imo is that they dropped support for plugins a while back, so things like buttons, polls, and quality of life stuff are harder to implement.

9. Emme Unofficial

Emme Unofficial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I understand what you are going through and here is my advice.
    WordPress is indeed preferred by most translators. You don't need to pay to create a site but you will end up using money if you choose WordPress. Some also use wix but WordPress powers 37% of the internet so i suggest you go for it.
    It's easy to create pages in WordPress once you get the gist of it. The best option is to ask help from someone who is experienced, if you are a beginner.
    Plus, WordPress provides all sorts of cool features.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. Frnco

Frnco New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wordpress SUCKS. Still, it just "kinda" works, and you just can't beat free stuff.

If you're considering something paid I'd suggest Ghost, but still, as a programmer, everything feels kinda shitty to me, so I'd most likely just use Google Docs or whatever. If you gotta have something from the beginning, get the easiest, fastest and cheapest thing you can, and if/when you ever need something bigger, you'll be more likely to make a good choice because you'll have some experience. And yeah Wordpress pretty much fits the bill.

Just one thing you have to keep in mind: Keep a copy of the finished translations, preferrably both in your computer and some cloud service such as dropbox google drive or whatever, and keep it organized, either folders or filename segments are ok just make sure you have everything organized following some well-defined structure, if you ever wanna change platforms Wordpress will give you hell, but provided you have the files and can use some pattern to classify them, it's pretty easy to automatically import it or whatever you want (Yeah, easier if it's .txt but even Microsoft Word files are not nearly as bad as dealing with Wordpress taxonomy madness...)

Just wanted to point out: The easiest way to do it for absolutely free is most likely wordpress, in a situation when there's zero money available, Wordpress should work.

And as a side note: Those "all sorts of cool features" are actually VERY hurtful, unfortunately. Not that the idea was bad, it's just that, in order to generalize posts so they could be "anything", Wordpress abstracted this as taxonomies, and taxonomies have shitty performance, and are hard as hell to work with outside of Wordpress, so you're stuck with Wordpress and it's ridiculously poor performance... Yeah sure it's easier, but there's always a trade-off, and I think people should know what they're getting into.In Wordpress' case, it sacrifices performance and structure/organization in exchange for some perceived flexibility, if that's what you want go for it, just remember to not count on being able to retrieve the information you are putting there, at least not in any usable form.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Shunraiki and emi.ying like this.