Misc HELP! trying to make an ok story

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by cjk33, Aug 15, 2018.

1. cjk33

cjk33 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so I have a story in my head and need some help sort to it out.

This story will be along the lines of The City of Terror, Rise of the Wasteland, Time Smuggling Starting from the Year 2000, I Have a Mansion in the Post-apocalyptic World" but you know, with story and Characters that you want to read about and not to die slow and horribly

important bit of story MC

37 year old engineer ends up moving back and four between his world and a fallout based (I am in england so got nothing else to work with) in the body of a homeless 12 year old boy before the bombs drop.and he will not bring stuff from one world to the other (always thought that makes a cheap story).

any ideas welcome

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the point of "being able to travel back and for between worlds but won't interact with each other"?

3. cjk33

cjk33 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always find the "being able to travel back and forth between worlds" an interesting idea but the bringing back of everything useful from one to another breaks the balance and the tension of the story you see this in many such stories but they all had the same problem, no tension. the author of "Rise of the Wasteland" tried to balance this plot problem but it's just annoying.

edit:
    He will have an Archive of all the recorded data from fallout in his head (and no it's not all available right away). the Archive will grow as he adds to it.

I mean which would be more interesting a guy that's grab's a thing from the shop's from his own world, or a guy that fights and struggles to find and assemble what he needs?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  4. cjk33

cjk33 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    queiston? where do you think a good place to hide out in a DC based from the bombs?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  5. yywee

yywee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, during my years of writing and gaining more and more experience on the subject, i created one rule to myself. When you get a new idea, DON'T start writing right away. Instead, write the idea on some file and start adding stuff to it. Go out, look at the world, share with friends, discuss it, formulate more precise concept, colorize your fictional world. You know, i like to give the example for the good wine here - the more it ages, the better it became.

6. cjk33

cjk33 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes that is what I'm trying to do here.
    after all I scraped the idea of starting this story starting on an island with supernatural enemies (would have make the beginning to crowed)
    and tried to get fallout to run on my computer (for ideas).
    this is for frowning ideas around.

Like the MC being a supporting character(crafter I thinking) . instead of the MC only another shooting guy.

7. Dawngawser

Dawngawser Something something

Reading List:
    Link
    Er......
    He hacks in to the government of some random country with stronk nukes to steal their nulcear bomb info and build them and nuke to other country before they can nuke that place?

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan doesn't read any of those stories, so forgive me if this doesn't work.

Instead of building a stronghold in an apocalyptic world and living in comfort, it is more eciting to tell the story of a boy who have to keep running around in order to live. He can be a wanderer, with a backpack, some gadgets that he sell to people for some bottle caps (whatever currency you use there, or maybe barter) and maybe he has a bicycle in this world to move around with.

The problem with making a fortress like in I Have A Mansion is that it's easy to fall into the habit of being too comfortable with the setting. You then attract people who like these settings, but that makes the story bland and boring eventually. But when you do try to spice it up eventually, these people will complain and stop reading, making your story only read by a handful of people.

Below is a synopsis about a story Ai-chan's been keeping in the backburner, but never had the time to write it down. You can use parts of it if you wish, but don't take everything.

"The world has ended. When Liana wakes up one day, she realizes that her home is dusty and her formerly green lawn is now a dull brown. The grass was gone, the pool dried up and the cherry tree she planted six years ago was now a rotting husk. Worse, there were creatures from myths and fantasies roaming the streets, the sky and the river beside her neighbourhood. Dragons that nest in skyscrapers, serpents big enough to swallow a car, and even a lizard that can sniff the scent of a human being. She has no idea how long she was asleep, but this certainly would be a terrible place to live in. She decided, that she must leave soon if she were to survive. Only time will tell if this is a good idea, for who knows the condition of the rest of the world."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if he can mentally go between both worlds, he can still carry over ideas. Just surf the web in the original world for what he needs, memorize it, then go back. If it’s unlimited travel, he can read a line from some electrical engineering book, go to the other world and right it down, and repeat until he writes the whole book, or whatever it is he needs. As long as he can find the instructions for it, he can probably make whatever he wants.

10. cjk33

cjk33 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan you are right I think the comfortable castle route are moronic in these stories because

one They can get boring easily and very quickly
    two because there are weapons still just laying around that can wipe anything out anything that an MC builds easily (see Mageton)
    three 60-80% of the in game MC's involve going somewhere get in somewhere then shooting/killing and most of these places are comfortable castle's of one faction or another.

yes he could done this but he won't be able to do "unlimited travel" and I'm going more to him learning and teaching angle.