Help with upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by zhainan2157, Jun 28, 2019.

1. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, any tech savy guys out there to help me?
    I just recently bought Microsoft Office 2019 for my mom's computer which is running WIndows 7 and found out afterwards that Microsoft is a b*tch and that Office 2019 only works on Windows 10. So I decided to upgrade my mom's computer to Windows 10, after 2 hours I finally upgraded it and I decided to do a bunch of updates on it to make sure it's up to date. Yada yada, after a bunch of quality updates, a feature update pops up and I thought, might as well do this since my mom won't know how to do it so I installed the newest feature update as well. That's when shit went wrong. From that feature update forwards, her computer could never make it past the login screen before running into a blue screen that says memory management error (if I recall correctly, this was hours ago). So I was like shit, let's just do troubleshooting and remove the last feature update since that's when shit went wrong. After I choose the option to remove last feature update, the computer FKING REMOVES THE ENTIRE WINDOWS 10 PROGRAM and now I'm back to Windows 7 on that computer. Now I'm retrying to install windows 10 and this same error keeps popping up when it almost completes.
    0xC1900101 - 0x2000C
    "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation"
    I looked this stuff up and tried many different options including cleaning disks, updating drivers, checking for system corruptions, running disk drives repair, updating the bios, and a whole bunch of stuff that the Microsoft website recommends me to do. Now after 10 hours of sitting in front of this computer trying to solve this problem, I gave up and am just going to backup all files and important stuff and reset this computer to factory settings and see if it will work then. So while the backup is going on and I try the upgrade one last time,
    I would like to see if any of you guys have any other suggestions as to what I should do because I want rebooting the computer to factory settings as the last ditch effort, not like I'm totally against doing so though if it will help me fix this.

2. mrixo

mrixo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd suggest finding a pc forum for better support as other people probably had this problem too (unless you already checked)

It'd also be good to know the specs of the computer too as that may be part of the cause.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  3. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing what you already tried, resetting the PC and installing Win10 from the get go is probably your best bet.
    I took a short look into the error code and immediately found a ton of different suggested solutions as well, so any possible suggestions I have would just unnecessarily add to your work load.

Regarding the updates tho, did you manually update (aka press the "Check for updates" button) or did you only install the automatic updates. Cuz manual updates can break your system, don't do it unless you know what updates you'll get.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    userunfriendly and zhainan2157 like this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I always use duplicate software for this reason. They care about customer satisfaction.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Put Windows 10 back on the computer. Try redownloading Windows 10 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. After installing Windows 10, create a restore point. If the update fails again, it should rollback to the most recent restore point, which should save you the hassle of upgrading from Windows 7 again. If an update fails again, take note of the KB number of the update that causes the issue. I have no idea which update caused the issue, and the error you're getting is not specific enough to give you a concrete fix.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    zhainan2157 and Asdq like this.
  6. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-0x2000c/143b839d-a2ea-4b73-bb37-19ac0d22e9c6

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...rom-8-to/de3f9685-f299-4025-9c4b-fb649ae6be1e

should have some possible answers (try to catch ... ehm ... read them ALL)

And if you trust google-fu ... translate you can try to read the following link as it adds some information as well

https://www.borncity.com/blog/2015/08/18/windows-10-upgrade-error-0xc1900101-0x2000c/

Best bet for support would be the windows forum ... they seem to be somehow related to windows ...:blobhyperthink:

zhainan2157 likes this.
  7. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll ask the common questions first;

- What's the general specs of your mom's PC?
    - When did she bought it?
    - When is the last time you clean her PC's innard from dust?
    - Did you upgrade it after you agreed to the official free upgrade offer back then?

For the preparation, I'd suggest to download the ISO for the latest W10 rather than using an old one. Much less update needed.

8. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Check whether your main pc drives and specifically BIOS is updated or not. If not which is most likely i suggest you search the net for softwares to update drives and install latest version of BIOS and then try updating your pc. If that doesnt help then you have to go for some hardcore stuff like using command prompt commands but since that can mess up things with the wrong commands i would say that you should just ask windows support or just go to a pc service shop. Hope that helps(y)

zhainan2157 likes this.
  9. Flamer

Flamer [An Old Man] [Shady Dealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    i encountered a similar problem too i didn't find any possible solutions at that time so i just reset and installed again

10. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When you said you updated to windows 10 I assume you used the tool updater and didn't use an iso image or flash boot and didn't use it from boot menu right?
    I am just making a guess here based on what you said but I think the computer run into a space problem while updating the way you did, probably because of the specs of the computer, my recommendation is:
    Verify the computer's specs and if there is enough disc space for what is recommended for windows 10
    Download/use an iso image of windows 10
    Burn the image into a cd or make it into a bootable flash (I prefer the bootable flash solution, you can use the provided microsoft tool or use rufus portable, I prefer using rufus)
    Reboot the computer and enter boot menu
    Select flash boot
    In installation, I recommend you delete the old system and if you want also the partitions and install a new fresh system aka windows 10
    Follow the instructions and you should get the computer up and running within few hours depending on the computer's materials

11. raitei

Reading List:
    Link
    But that method had a little problem; if you just plainly wipe the old W7 system without getting the free W10 license (yes, it still can be acquired if you agreed with the offer back then) by upgrading (rather than clean install) it first, you won't get the license, IIRC.

But in this case, since he succeeded it the first time (thus acquiring the free digital license), it should be fine to wipe the old system and do a clean install with the latest W10 version image.

12. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    Drivers and BIOS almost never are a problem. Don't make it. First try everything before trying update driver and bios.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  13. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    I normally just do that, if the error persists then I start to looking a solution.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  14. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks the best to do.

15. Flamer

Flamer [An Old Man] [Shady Dealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah and that's when some real shit kicks u down when i knew nothing i tried every random thing and it resulted in my laptop getting crashed never to wake up have to go to expert and stuff him money so that he can repair it

zhainan2157 likes this.
  16. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    It is always a problem if you have a outdated BIOS and i can attest to it because i had the same type of problem with updating my windows 10 and i was able to fix it after upswing bid and cleaning my pc a little while removing virus too

zhainan2157 likes this.
  17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, you actually bought office 2019? I hope not at full price? (I don't mean pirated, just there are many methods to get it for free/a few bucks). Though personally I think the completely free LibreOffice is just as good and works on windows 7.

In reality, office 2019 does work on windows 7, the restriction is artificial.

But if you bought windows 10 as well, why not just contact MS's support?

zhainan2157 likes this.
  18. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually the real problem is whether the computer's specs would allow that or not and if OP wouldn't mess up a step (no offense) as lots of people do if they are not used to updating their computer in such way :blobsweat_2:

zhainan2157 and raitei like this.
  19. raitei

Reading List:
    Link
    ....well, that would be the first thing to make sure. W7 PCs are kinda on the fence; some specs of PCs that comes with it aren't enough for running W10 efficiently.

Not to mention hardware problems that oftenly happened on old PCs that aren't regulary maintained.

20. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, I was taking a power nap, and then called for emergency help at my part time job because another guy called sick. Now I'm on a lunch break and can finally reply.
    He he (sad laugh) I already tried all of those suggestions last night and none of them worked. I also tried even more suggestions from other websites as well... hehe someone kill me.

I already tried that as well and updated all drivers and the bios to the latest update. I did this manually because I know what I'm doing and knew which drivers are needed for my mom's computer model.

Space isn't any issue, there is more than 200 gb of free space. Plus I tried both methods using the media creation tool and the flash boot drive as well as booting up from usb in the bios menu instead of running the application from the usb. None worked... Maybe ISO from DVD will be different?!?! I doubt it though but may try it later tonight.

PC is 2 years old with a 5th gen intel i5 processor with a 2.4 ghz speed and 16 gb of ddr3 ram. There is not dedicated gpu. And no, I've never cleaned it for dust, I'll try that I guess.

Yup we bought office 2019 for 20% off but had no idea how to download it onto windows 7 since it wouldn't let me. Windows 10 was free because in my experience, if your computer already runs windows 7 or 8, they will let you upgrade for free even now. When you upgrade now, they don't ask for a product id and it goes through everything and also gives you a legit license. This is going by what I've read on the internet and this is my second computer I tried it on. Just to reiterate, I DID MANAGE TO UPGRADE THE COMPUTER TO WINDOWS 10 THE FIRST TIME AND IT WORKED FOR A DAY BEFORE I DECIDED TO UPDATE IT. I thought that since I upgraded it, might as well update it to the latest version and did a bunch of quality updates before a feature update popped up. The feature update wrecked the PC where the PC would blue screen with a "memory management failure" note (not sure if this is exactly it it, but it had something to do with memory). Then I decided to troubleshoot it and tried to remove the latest feature update which ended up removing all of Windows 10 and made the PC go back to Windows 7. Now I can't even install Windows 10 onto the laptop without the system error 0xC1900101 - 0x2000C
    "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation"
    No offense taken, just thankful for as much input I can get from people. I'm pretty sure my PC has enough specs to update to windows 10, with 15 5th gen and 16 gb ram, but maybe since I'm doing Windows 10 Pro, it might be more demanding?
    I do maintain it software wise every time I come back from Uni, but not physically. I've actually never gone into it to clean it of dust ever since we got it 2 years ago. Do you think that would make a difference?

I don't think it's a driver and bios problem either since after trying a bunch of stuff already, I updtated drivers for all the devices and updated the bios as well from the manufacturer's website. But that didn't work either.

Last but not least, I would also like to mention after my PC restored from Windows 10 back to Windows 7, I restored the PC using a back up I did right before upgrading to windows 10 so technically, everything should be exactly the same as the first time I did so.

Thank you everyone for your inputs, so far it looks like I might have to restore the PC to factory conditions before trying the upgrade again.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.