Here are some facts from working with Qidian (Noodletown)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by noodletowntranslated, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainlord

rainlord [[rathofheaven]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nooo!!:(:cry::cry::cry: have mercy on this poor leecher

2. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    And what group would that be? The reason Anime flourished in the west is because it's free (technically.) I'm interested in seeing what group of readers they are looking to attract from behind their paywall.

3. Seraphim

Seraphim 天使の王

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know how to quote properly, but sir Noodletown, how about minors who don't have jobs and can't pay the paywall? They can ask their parents, but most would likely not accept. Even if they save their daily/weekly/monthly allowances, they still don't have credit cards for that. So... Boohoo to them right?

The way I see it, the community is surviving because there are donators who have jobs and a lot of leechers who hype and talk about the story making the donators still interested. I mean, where is the fun of talking about the current story if only a few are reading it because of the paywall?

4. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah.. For right now. Knowing Qidian's Chinese business model and the fact that they are using a loss leader to get people to their site by paying you a few grand for past chapters and now saying 40 a chapter. You aren't privy to their business plan for the future and that is okay. If you feel you are being taken care of.. That's cool but when a business works a deal out and says hey pick up more novels and we will work those into a deal at a later date.. Then fails to deliver on that promise and attacks the business they were working with well then..

Something stinks.

And after seeing the contracts yesterday I don't find it odd at all that someone would be authorized to talk.

zentetsuken and Tebix like this.
  5. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Casuals, people who search for generic terms like webnovel.

6. noodletowntranslated

noodletowntranslated Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol who said im giving it up? I got bored of the novel - fact. Im still working on it- fact.
    Im doing another novel called Hail the King, and i make like less than 5$ per chap. Im still doing it. cuz i dont want to let the readers down and i dont want to give up on it until i find another translator to take it over. Thats also fact.
    For the contract, i will ask qidian if they can just make it public. im too lazy to scan all the pages and upload it

7. rainlord

rainlord [[rathofheaven]]

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah..hmph..
    :cautious::cautious::cautious:

8. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    lol when noodletown got ripped off and didnt charge copyright fees they gave you 4k at 20 dollars per a chapter which is less than you get now you go fucked you owned the english copyright and sold it dirt cheap lol what a bitch

Tebix and lucjanssens like this.
  9. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know Hail the King and I really like it. I definitely have questions for you:

1) Are they pushing the translators out to do their PR now? Are you being threatened to write this?

2) If they pay you $40 a chapter, why didn't they pay you 200 x $40 = $8,000 for your old work? Why the 50% cut for your old work?

3) I'm really curious about the dark side of WW. Can you share more? Sharing money with Qidian authors... RWX said that he paid six figures to Qidian for the first 20 copyrights. He told Qidian he didn't want any of that to go to the authors? WTF man.

4) Have you been promised not to be fined? I read that leaked contract, it seems like they can do anything, anytime to you. Are you absolutely 100% safe? I like HTK and don't want it to suddenly disappear!

5) Uh.. I kinda wish I didn't read this... I thought better of you before this line...

6) Wait, WW leaked the contract? abc123 = RWX? I thought it was just some random possible QI translator who leaked it.

7) I don't understand this line. NDA = Non disclosure agreement, right? What does that have to do with not using Qidian's work? I need to sign that for work too and signing that doesn't mean I don't want to work there... I don't understand, can you rephrase please?

8) Both are free now... now everyone's woken up to the fact that Qidian knocking out WW >> knock out greatest competition >> monopoly >> readers basically have to suck it to whatever they put in place then. They can keep the money coming to you now, but what happens when they need to make it back? They're more corporate bastards than WW. And then what? You don't have any alternatives or help because there's no competition...

10. bedullah

bedullah stab from behind. half alive. thank you very much.

Reading List:
    Link
    its both!
    because its chicken stuffed flavored egg roll.

11. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    @Qidian ....

FlameE, Pau, Aizelf and 1 other person like this.
  12. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    Those people will find their site, see a paywall and decide nah fuck this.

13. noodletowntranslated

noodletowntranslated Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh i still dont get what the NDA is. I just asked the qidian guy if i can tell u guys how much i make and how much they spent on buying the old chaps and they said sure

14. Vicious

Vicious [Egg on rice]

Reading List:
    Link
    So buying translations really is cheaper~

15. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    5) No quality no pay?

The fact they hired novel saga and a few other tlers show this rule was never a problem, sure they're not MTL quality but they're not great either.

Honestly though, if the pay you mentioned is true, the translators aren't really being screwed over and it's good for new translation projects to earn money before they get the 5k+ a month some of the long term ones are getting via patreon/donations.

I'm on WW side of this drama though, those translators came over to WW by choice, if Qidian wanted to have them move over to their website, they could have talked to the translators privately but instead they went full moron knocking the whole community on its ass and sending people into full on panic mode, a fair number of tlers have outright dropped translation projects for fear of Qidian turning their attention to them.

16. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg who cares about all this
    If it's free read it
    If you have to pay, either pay or just don't read
    Why are so many people complaining and everybody suddenly becomes a marketing expert

17. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not so much of hating QI just to hate Qi. No.

Its about being appalled and disgusted by the douchbaggory+fact manipulation by QI in its relationship to the community. Have you read the post by one of the forumers here where he dissected every single word and sentences that @Qidian made, and it was so good because its completely true? You should read that and see if @Qidian stands to be a trustworthy sort or not. At the moment, war or no war with WXW, @Qidian has been caught lying and manipulating, together with their goons. Now, suddenly, there are translators working for QI popping up and "engaging" the "community". According to @noodletowntranslated , the survival of 'this' (I don't know which 'this') "community" all boils down to translators and editors alone. With QI. Sounds like a pretty arrogant statement, ain't it?

18. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Noodle, why don't you respond to this. Please show documentation that we ever approached you for GDN. Why would you make up a lie like this?

NodiX, xalienxgamerx, Varler and 32 others like this.
  19. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally the same thought as you. How can you trust someone that cant say bad shit about them?. If I shall believe your thoughts on this matter then I would have to agree with a NeoNazi saying that nazism is not a bad thing.

Tebix likes this.
  20. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but that all business investment and they are expecting to get back + profit. Can it still happen? Always possible but it already full of rage and hatred at this point and it not going to get any better once / if legal battle start. Also, investment can be pull out any moment especially if a fallout from this shitstorm can effect them too.

21. bedullah

bedullah stab from behind. half alive. thank you very much.

Reading List:
    Link
    is dis some kind of propagunda?
    anyway i give you 5 thumb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.