Discussion [Hidden Gem series] Legend of heroes: Trails in the sky

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Martialegg, Apr 11, 2020.

?

Have you played Legend of heroes: Trails in the sky?

1. Yes! I've played it in the past and I like it.

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Yes, but I don't think I like it as much as you. It's okay.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but I don't like it. I just dislike the style.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not yet, but I have heard of it before.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Nope. First time I've ever heard of it.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. No, but I think I'm interested now!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm quite bored and now I'm in the mood to give underrated game a tribute!
    Well, this is essentially not unpopular (Since almost all rpg gamers would know about it), but a lot of casual gamers don't even know its' existence.
    So, I'm actually interested if any fellow Nuffians recognize the game!
    Or if you haven't, then you should play it since it is one of the best j-rpg of all time!

Legend of heroes: Trails series have a total of 9 games. That's a lot to cover, so I will focus only on the first three game of the series: Trails in the sky, The Liberl arc.
    This series has an anime adaptation, but just like what you'd expected, it is very poor compared to the game. Not as bad as Tsukihime, but bad enough that you'd want to skip it because it ruins the game's experience. It is highly recommended that you watch the anime AFTER you finished the game.

Like my Ar Tonelico recommendation, I won't give you much info because of spoilers.

I want to give you the 2nd and the 3rd trailer, but sadly, it contains a HUGE spoiler. So, restrain yourselves and don't watch it on youtube.
    Just believe me for now and you won't regret it. Download it on steam and you'll ready to go~

Spoiler-free facts:
    - There are in total of 9 games and 3 separate arcs. Liberl arc, Crossbell arc, and Erebonia arc. Trails in the sky is the first arc of the series and the story that surrounds the fate of the Liberl kingdom.
    - All of the games and arcs are connected by plot, settings, and timeline. So, it is highly recommended to play it from the very first of the series.
    - Some characters of the previous games would appear in the next games. Including the enemies.
    - Legend of heroes have a very unique feature that most rpg don't have. This feature is called 'Realistic and immersive NPC' because every NPC would talk differently each time you progress a little in the main story or side quest. Each time you progress the timeline, every NPC (Including irrelevant NPC) in the city would be updated and have a different text.
    - Legend of heroes is a bit weird of a game even by gamers' standard. There are hidden side quests that is not important to the main plot, but highly interconnected in the world building. The world building would affect your perspective of the main story. So, it is effectively a hidden story, rather than a side quest.
    - How to access the hidden story is a very tricky part in Legend of heroes. There are two basic ways to do it: One, is to talk to every NPC each time you progress a little in the main quest. Two, check the guide online and make sure to know the exact timeline to activate the hidden quest.
    - Personally, I think Trails series is not a game, but more of an experience. You play the game for the experience, not the entertainment. Similar like reading a very good story.

That's all you need to know~

If you have played the game, share your thoughts about what you think about the game!
    If you haven't, then I hope the thread would make you interested in the game! :aww:

Thx for reading! (y)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Fulminata, Ddraig, nyamachi and 2 others like this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    underrated my ass.
    It's a famous classic. To call it underrated is like calling Star Wars a relatively unknown movie.

3. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Every rpg gamers would call it a classic, but gamers overall don't even know its existence xD

4. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of of heroes in the sky top 5 of all time JRPGs. All the arcs are freaking great.

Martialegg likes this.
  5. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fuck no the OVAs were rushed af. People just watch it for memable gifs like that time Estelle casually kicked an archaism

Martialegg likes this.
  6. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice try. Just because you just found out about it does not mean it isn't famous, it's just you being late to the game.

teargrants and Martialegg like this.
  7. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    "Ready or not, here I come!"
    -insta-gigged by Renne-

Martialegg likes this.
  8. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve played Cold Steel 1 to 3 so far and wait for the release of 4 and Hajimari.

Martialegg and Nightow1 like this.
  9. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    That deathblow S-Craft tho.

Martialegg likes this.
  10. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Punching up Lowe on Nightmare is to date still one of my proudest achievements.

Martialegg likes this.
  11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That isn't what "underrated" means. Things that are underrated can be things that appeal to a niche thus given a poor rating. Something that is ahead of its time or something that starts out poorly thus dropped or has a deeper meaning that gets lost on most.

Maybe the term you were looking for was "hidden gem". But as mentioned, I think its too famous for that. Anyone who plays RPGs would know about it.

As for some casuals not knowing about it, maybe but so what?

12. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh that's a good point. Then I'll change the title to Hidden gem.

13. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot nayuta no kiseki, its either a distant future or the start of church myth

Although trails is AWESOME I'm more of an YS fan, now that is an obscure series

Martialegg likes this.
  14. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh I didn't even know Nayuta no kiseki. I've just finished Zero no kiseki and currently playing Ao no kiseki. Haven't touch the erebonia arc, yet.

I haven't played YS yet. Is it that good? I'll play it after I finished all of the trails series xD

15. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me tell you, what you have seen of Osborne in Sky and Ao is just the tip of the iceberg. That guy is a monster he probably wouldn’t even die when shot through the heart.

Martialegg likes this.
  16. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard that Ys is more popular in the west
    Ys focuses more on gameplay rather than story which is the opposite of the Trails series. Ys 1&2 is an old retro game(fuck the bump mechanic and fuck you Vagullion). They (thankfully) changed the combat now. Played Ys 8 in the PS4 and it was great and Dana is best girl

Martialegg and FranckOA like this.
  17. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't hear anyone talk about ys much than trails lol

Martialegg likes this.
  18. BigBadBoi

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres not much to talk about tbh. Chadol Christin destroys world ending entities for morning exercises and gets a waifu or two. Thats how simple most of the Ys plot is. The only thing people talk about in Ys is how much they hate that fucking bat or how many times they busted a nut listening to Sunshine Coastline

canaria23 likes this.
  19. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its good
    YS also has the same intricate npc's as trails, same awesome combat but diff style, and same quality music. Ys was the 1st game to have cut scenes to animated though.

20. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of heroes trails in the sky FC is one on my favourite games of all time. It is tied with Mhfu for my favourite psp game.

Now I dont need to talk about how great the whole trails mega-arc is. What I will like to talk about is that people really need to give the gagharv trilogy a try. The trilogy is certainly not equally good to sky trio or steel tetro(?) but you will be surprised with the story and how well the world building is done. (Duh)

Also @Nahrenne

Nahrenne likes this.