Recommendations Historical novel with male MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Apns, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Apns

Apns Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I am looking for novels like The Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage (I mean placed in similar times, circumstances) but with male MC. If I had to put it into a single sentence then I am looking for this: Hisotical novel, WITHOUT superpowers/cultivation/magic, but having romance and male MC.

No BL

2. FlufflyLittleRabbit

FlufflyLittleRabbit Fluff...Fluffy....FLUFFYYYYY!

Reading List:
    Link
    I only know The Lofty Fierce Consort that fits your description. By the way, the male protagonist is loyal to his love interest and has no harem. The story and the interaction between him and the female lead are really good! so, if you want, you can give this novel a try to read.

There is also these two novel too, but I haven't read them yet.
    Bunny Husband
    The Little First Grand Secretary in My House

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Apns likes this.
  3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of books like this, and it's my favorite genre so I have quite a few books to recommend. The problem is that these books don't get translated (or at least not the good ones), and they're really hard to MTL.

FlufflyLittleRabbit and Apns like this.
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's what I wrote up a little while ago:

There are a couple of books that I want to especially highlight:

The Deer and the Cauldron
    This is the grandfather of the entire Chinese historical genre. It's a wuxia novel where the protagonist acts much more like a modern person than as a wuxia hero. And if you've ever read historical adventure novels where the protagonist is sent on one mission after another, this book is where they came from. It's also the progenitor of the harem story and it has a strong influence on just about all the Chinese novels I read (even Romance novels). The cherry on top of all of this is that this book also has some beautiful writing, and I don't think that it's an exaggeration to say that it's the finest book on NU.

回到明朝当王爷
    If "The Deer and the Cauldron" is where Chinese historical novels came from, this book is the one that shows what they can do. And in this instance what they can do is to show off just how rich historical settings can be. Everything feels right in this book because the writer barely had to make up anything. All he did was to retell real life in a super entertaining way, and because of the historical authenticity, he manages to really deliver on just how different modern people will feel compared to the people of yesteryear.