Discussion Holiday in Singapore, where to go and how to minimize cost?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by laziest, Apr 6, 2019.

1. laziest

laziest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, like the title said, me and my friends want to go to Singapore later for holiday. Is there a suggestion where we need to go to "maximize" our 2 days holiday there? (For now we only want to go to USS :D )
    And since its known here that in Singapore everything is expensive, is there a way to minimize cost for us while we are there? Thank youu <3

2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    they killed off the street stalls so that's a negative.
    how is your budget?

3. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    How much time is the trip, for how many people, is there some special need with you (eldery kids babies etc)

4. laziest

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe around 200 dollars?

5. laziest

Reading List:
    Link
    3 peoples for 2 days, nope we didnt bring elder and kids

6. Bugis-san

Bugis-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Save budget on hotel/homestay and food.

7. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleep and eat in Johor then go spend your time in Singapore. Johor foods and accommodation is very cheap since SgD 1 = MYR 3

H0RR1BL3CPU likes this.
  8. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I went there in 2012 and the cheapest yet decent eatery I could find was a Bangladeshi place that served a wholesome meal for 2-3 sd. Of course your only choice there was between veg and non veg.
    As for what to visit, I advice booking those group tours since the tour guide will do the time management for you. Also, if you plan to do shopping, you might wanna keep it to the evenings and nights as the malls are 24 hrs open. That way you can enjoy tours in the day, shop at night. Save sleeping for your return flight.

9. laziest

Reading List:
    Link
    traveling from johor to singapore is not expensive?

10. Dawngawser

Dawngawser Something something

Reading List:
    Link
    Well obviously, when you go anywhere, the food is numba one priority. So I'd eating chilli crab (cos its really gud) and go to hawker centres cos the prices there honestly arent very expensive and they have good food. http://danielfooddiary.com/2018/01/23/michelinhawker/ Heres a couple. I'm hungry now lol.

11. laziest

Reading List:
    Link
    for now we didnt have a plan to go to mall, since it sounds expensive :sweating_profusely:

12. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Well tbh as a Singaporean it isn't rly as exp if you are eating from hawker food, the non tourist trap ones that is...

Also given you only have 2 days here, where would you be staying? Would be easier to recommend places ard there.

But generic ones are the gardens by the bay, which is pretty good at night, there's a light show at the bay infront of the marina bay sands Hotel inside the marina bay ard 9, you can probably go the gardens in the afternoon say around 2/3pm assuming you want to go inside the domes (you should boom the tickets online if you wanna get in cos the queue is absurd) then have dinner at satay by the bay(yes, tourist trap but yeaaa.... At least cheaper than eating inside mbs itself and you get local food too) then wait till night fall and look around the gardens at night for the super tree night lights then walk ard mbs mall itself till 9pm for the show.

In the morning you can go either one of the famous hawker centers such as maxwell, Adam, old airport Road for breakfast /brunch then explore around till the afternoon to go the gardens. https://www.thebestsingapore.com/eat-and-drink/the-best-5-hawker-centres-in-singapore/
    Note that the Chinatown complex is closed for renovation for the next few months

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  14. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Funnily enough, it's cheaper to buy electronics there. At least compared to where I am from. I remember buying 42" lcd tv for less than half the price. Depends where you are from though.

15. GrimmyAF

GrimmyAF Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. Not everything in singapore is expensive.

Food: Hawker Centres, Kopitams, Food Courts, etc, etc. Local food + cheap. Each dish is average 5 SGD. Sometimes lesser. There's stalls where you and you buddies can get a few bigger dishes and share.

Transport: Trains, Buses. Quite cheap and easy to navigate. Goes to most places.

Not sure what kind of touristy stuff you want to see, but there's quite a bit of free things, esp if you like those nature/cultural things.

16. lykizan

lykizan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    singapore is a pretty small place, getting around is quite easy as well with the public transportation.

uss:
    -if you are planning to go uss, try and find packages that give you access to adventure cove as well. (though im not sure if your budget will allow that)
    -sentosa as a whole is a nice place to visit but again, singapore, everything is expensivveeeeee, pretty sure the beaches are free tho

other spots to visit;
    -botanic gardens is nice, not rly my cup of tea since i dont rly like flowers but eh its free to visit
    -gardens by the bay is pretty cool as well
    -east coast park is a nice place, you can take the mrt to east coast park and rent bicycles there if you want. last i went there there were places to eat so yea
    -if you're up for random shopping malls, there are quite a few. i havent been there in a while but mustafa centre is rumored to have like everything
    -suntec city, ion orchard and bugis junction are also nice places to shop around
    -if you have some cash to spare maybe go walk around orchard idk

food:
    -sg has a lot of hawker centres with a variety of food you can try, but if you're not up for sitting in lowkey the heat since sg is super goddamn hot, you can just head into a shopping mall and go to a food court for some air con. still has a variety of food, like the commonly found japanese korean western cuisine, other than the regular chinese, indian and malay food
    -if it's really not to your liking, fast food restaurants are like everywhere

and because i am lazy to think more if you want to check out more places
    http://www.singapore-guide.com/

i feel like im doing one of those essays in school that have the topic of like : your cousin is coming to singapore, reccommend some places for them to go and food to eat

i dont have much advice for you on minimizing the cost other than just not going to high class restaurants (altho fancy places like sushi tei arent that bad) like maybe swensens when you can get cheaper things, and not going overboard on shopping sprees

17. laziest

Reading List:
    Link
    omg they looks soo good
    now i'm hungry too :blobcry::blobcry:
    already copying that link to my friends
    thank youu for the infoo :blob_grin::blob_grin:

18. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    the merlion!

(never been to singapore but the merlion featured prominently in A Place Further Than The Universe ep 6) :blob_grin:

19. laziest

Reading List:
    Link
    my friends already book some hotels in chinatown area if i recall correctly

we have some plans to go there too
    garden by the bay i mean
    thanks for the suggestion ^^

Note that the Chinatown complex is closed for renovation for the next few months >> can u explain more?

20. laziest

Reading List:
    Link