Discussion Horoscopes are weirdly accurate

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Aug 3, 2019.

?

Do you believe in superstitions?

1. Yup

8.3%
  2. Nope

43.8%
  3. At the very least, they are fun knowledge to have

60.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been looking through horoscopes (I was bored...) and funny enough most of them are quite accurate. The one I'm looking at were mostly those things that describes zodiac. For example, me as a Leo is describe to be prideful, stubborn and frank. Things like that. Maybe it's just me and a tunnel vision sort of phenomenon or maybe it's because they are too general that it fits people one way of another but do you also feel that they are strangely accurate?

On that note, I'm actually curious about fortune tellers, anyone who experienced it? How was the experience? I don't believe much in superstitions so I never tried getting my fortune told.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    They're also weirdly vague and open to interpretation. :sweating_profusely:

3. Deleted member 132527

Deleted member 132527 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    With my friend we use to check how our zodiac sign describe us and It's very accurate too, like im aquarius and she an aries.

As an aquarius I'm an original (oftend daydreaming), not stupid and difficult to understand.

On the other side she is direct, possesive and fun.

Even once they say if it was war I would be the mastermind and she is a tanker.

thisworldofmine1 and Bad Storm like this.
  4. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    That's intentional. The vagueness and open to interpretation phrases is how they seem to be accurate by having your own mind interpret it in a way that applies to you.

Centuries of fine tuning of horoscopes has made it quite the art of creating self deception in the targets.

AMissingLinguist, Irie, kenar and 6 others like this.
  5. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is because they are vague and have general statements/points and everybody relate to it..
    Like they say be careful and then something bad happen to you.
    It is not horoscope was correct but it may be bad luck/oversight by you.

Fulminata, AliceShiki and Bad Storm like this.
  6. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Horoscopes = nonsense!

That’s how I see them. I’ve read some every now and then and they’re vague and at most can hint at something. But that’s because when you read a horoscope that feels like it applies you you, you’ll start trying to find links in your mind. And you convince yourself that’s it’s talking about something in particular.

But that’s not the case. How could it be? Every person who has the same star sign as you does not have the same life as you. So one horoscope is not really that accurate. It’s impossible for it to be~ ☕️\(•~•)

7. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    It actually made me wonder how they managed to fine-tune it to that level. And who are "they" even...

8. FourSeasons

FourSeasons (..)(・.)(: )(¨)( :)(.・)(..)

Reading List:
    Link
  9. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly, these are the answers you're looking for OP. Go thank them.

Bad Storm likes this.
  10. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is stuff i have heard around, i myself never pay attention to horoscope and haven't tried any fortune telling.

Apparrently there was a type of fortune telling in ancient rome where the priests would extract plates with fortunes written on it, but they were vague and like, a fortune that says "go to war, you shall return victorious" only needs a comma (that wasn't placed in writing) to say "Don't go to war, you won't return victorious" so the priest could always claim that the fortune was accurate and the person just misunderstood.
    So i think most horoscopes and similar stuff follow a similar mindset where they are vague or common enough that it will be true, or considered true, for most people.

I also heard about fortune tellers that analyse a person based on their appearence, the info they were asked to fill out, etc, to make an educated guess about what that person will go through, saying more or less vague predictions depending on what they can glean.

Also heard that palm reading is based off of the creases and calluses that a person has due to lifestyle, thus a palm reader can guess how you use your hands and make predictions off of that.

I find most fortune telling such as horoscopes as BS cause, how many people are born within certain months? Do you honestly believe that they are all similar personalities and going through similar experiences? Like "capricorn: be more honest with your love and you will have good results."
    Bitch i never even had a crush in twenty years of my life, honest to whomst?

On the other hand palm readers and similar fortune tellers, while nothing esoteric is going on, can at least be considered decent advice and educated guesses

FYI i voted for "at least they are intersting" cause superstitions make life more interesting and it is sometimes interesting to know the origin story of superstitions or make guesses, like i i heard that triangles (ladders leaning on walls) are bad luck and you would think, no duh, a leaning ladder or whats on it could fall on you, but there is also the story of the Romans conquering Egypt and they had pyramids right? So the Romans thought they would be cursed by the Egyptian gods (more or less, just bad luck) so they would put their thumb through their fist and punch towards the triangle side to defy the gods bad luck.
    And stuff like black cats crossing your road, i would guess that they are bad luck cause they are very hard to notice in the dark and you could trip on them and if that's not unfortunate what is?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  11. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    fun facts of the day: 1) stars move 2) they're very far away, and light takes time to reach here
    the constellation you are born under is thus not the one you see!
    also i'm annoyed how whenever people talk about astronomy they now have to take a 2 second pause to think "are they talking about a guy talking out of his arse, or a scientist?" due to the stupid word astrology

12. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy: Exactly, I have been looking for this non existent girlfriend of mine for years.Forget about confession.

OceanMagix and kyoshijiro like this.
  13. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    They're also prepared for these instances by separating single people from those in relationships :blobrofl:

pkhyber likes this.
  14. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    It's basic psychology. Give vague terms and the victim will fill in the blanks. Scammers use it all the time to sell people stuff.

Edit: I myself am guilty of using this in helping a friend (who dabbled into selling items through fortune telling during one summer a few years back) sell a "Miracle Pain and Fatigue killer Massage Oil made using 38 different herbs from the Himalayas" and a "Miracle Problem Avoidance Pendant" to her victims.

Edit 2: The "Accident Avoidance Pendant" was pretty fun to sell. I remember her telling her victims to be more careful during the first week or two of wearing it to "let the pendant get to absorb your aura when you're careful and on guard" so it can "use the energy stored in it to project that aura afterwards". I think most clumsy people just got more careful as a habit or something since I didn't hear her receive any complaints.

kyoshijiro and Bad Storm like this.
  15. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link

Also, due to the precession of the earth following the invention of astrology, we’re all one sign behind or forward. I forget which.

Basically, I use astrology to gauge the intelligence of a person...if they believe in it, they’re too stupid to have intelligent conversations with.:p

Bad Storm likes this.
  16. Chize

Chize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh... I still remember how a fortune teller told me I'll have 13 kids with 1 husband. Then she said that my family (kids & hubby) is gonna be rich af but we are a huge spender (not surprising with 13 kids really).

My future husband must be rich af because the family I came from isn't

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, the blissful ignorance of the mind. The repulsive attraction to the soul, that which all deemed forsaken, humbled, and silenced. What fares the lineage of your origin? Does causality benign thee or, perhaps doth karma absolve thine penance? The fractures of faith leave only tiny holes, puncturing little stars in the firmament we observe as reality. TO KNOW IS TO DIE. Boundless chaos, ephemeral moment only to the transient; O human bliss is ever so fragile. A mere gaze shatters it completely, and the lightest touch breaks all it's bearings. What returns is no longer it's original shape or form, for change is eternal as chaos. Mankind... what you do learn in the exchange of thousands' sacrifices?

I must confess that though I lack deep knowledge in the arcane, I too have witness but a surface of it. It matters not, whether these astrologers speak wisdom or madness. WORDS CARRY POWER. To be afflicted with knowledge is to understand what lies bare before your eyes. See only what you see, feel only what you feel, and hear only what you hear. The tongue is lace with poisonous riddles, and even mundane words can alter the shape of reality. No matter how small the alteration, it shall return in full encumbrance towards your actions.

MIND MAKE MATTER. Do not take my warnings directly, for nature is not so easy to tell it's secrets. That is why science exists, and to observe is to obtain the key to the abysmal darkness we perceive as the unknown. Your will is bound my thought. Your flesh is bound by your will. Your soul is bound by your flesh. It all connects and what form is there to take, but the truth disguised in myriad alterations. Inconvenience? Nay, it is not! Efforts respond in kindness so much as violence repays back it's debt.

Overall, the price for knowing beyond your means will only lead to your imminent destruction. Mankind is burned with greatness so great, their lives are steps to complete the stairway to heaven. March forward, unyielding and zealous, for time is not so forgiving or humane enough to warrant second chances to you. O mankind, only mankind shall grant you repose, for even heaven fears your rotting touch, poisonous words, and corrupting sight.

I bless with you with fear, know it shall bring you to new and greater heights eternal. Come, listen to this jester, who makes foolish prose and sees only the void of empty, cold, and dark despair. This world is dying, but even so, the cinders of creation remain alive to last a few centuries more. Will it finally become ash or will a new eternal flame guide us to prosperity?

Bad Storm and kyoshijiro like this.
  18. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    If i ever need advice on how to speak in arcane language can you help?

OceanMagix, orematcha and Bad Storm like this.
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    They are them. The power in the shadows. They are the Illuminati!

AMissingLinguist, Irie, kenar and 2 others like this.
  20. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ai chan is an adept in the arts. I am but a swindler, a conman and a philosopher to heretical knowledge. Know that I am mortal... I hope I am.