Feature Request Hover over titles in reading list

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by cherryblossomsinsummer, Dec 4, 2020.

1. cherryblossomsinsummer

cherryblossomsinsummer The Midnight Sun

Reading List:
    Link
    Just now I was trying to search for a few novels to be read from my reading list. But... my reading lists have a heck ton of novels that I've randomly added, I don't remember any of the stories, whether it's completed or not. To read the description I will then have to click on the title, open the page on a new tab, before finally closing it and go back to my reading list tab-- an endless cycle. I was thinking that it would be good if we could hover over the title on the reading list and it shows the description of the novel, similar to how it is when you hover over the title of a post in the forum. Just a random suggestion, I hope it makes sense. Thank you in advance!

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do feel this would be immensely helpful and time/data saving, at the same time I feel like it'll be an annoyance when you're checking the reading list since the way it's listed is through a table listing by titles. Not much free space to have before you would accidentally move to another title below it and have another description pop-up.

Of course, that is just my own thoughts about it. After all.... I don't even have a mouse or a cursor to hover over them titles...

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. cherryblossomsinsummer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you see, the title of posts on the forum are separated by quite a big space and that is what I'm looking for. If the reading list stays the way it currently is now, added with the hover feature then of course it will certainly be quite an annoyance as you say, especially since the position of the titles is very close to each other. That is why I said, similar to how it is in the forum. I actually study user experience haha so I always think of a more convenient way when accessing something so this has been bugging me a lot, but of course, it is still a mere suggestion.

4. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
  5. cherryblossomsinsummer

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed an option, but that will remove the meaning of having a reading list, don't you think?

6. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are using tampermonkey/greasemonkey, there are two scripts that you can use to get a preview of the cover/description/genre/tags while hoving the mouse pointer on the novel's title

script 1
    - older
    - hasn't been updated for a while
    - while positioning of cover/description is quite awkward, it gets the job done
    - the script works for novels (that are on NU) that were linked in forum posts too
    capture_004_04122020_203420.png

script 2
    - newer
    - often gets updated
    - while it it more detailed and looks better than previous script, it is (imho) quite a screen space eater (if you have small screen)
    - just like the other one, this script works for novels (that are on NU) that were linked in forum posts.
    capture_003_04122020_203157.png

if you need help with bugs/suggestion for any of the scripts, here are the thread.

this thread is kind of repository for the scripts and other useful script, (my personal favorite is the one made by @Ultrabenosaurus (click to go directly to the post)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  7. cherryblossomsinsummer

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh I see, now this is quite helpful. I will check it out immediately, thank you!

8. sz

sz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just stumbled on this thread. Author of script 2 :D

@cherryblossomsinsummer I have just added an additional option.
    When the detailed popup view is active (switched with key 1) it is now possible to switch between tags and description (hotkey key2)

@runsing there is now an option to toggle between the currently big popup and a smaller styled popup. (Key3 is the hotkey)
    But since i like additional infos it is still a tiny bit bigger than script 1 version.

9. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link