Request How Can I Learn Japanese? At Least the Basics.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SquadCammander354, Aug 14, 2020.

1. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna learn Japanese, even just the basics. Like what good way is there to learn Japanese aside from just talking to them and exposure? :hmm:

I played a lot of games these dats, and I've been looking at the Japanese Playstation Store thinking ya'know, "Holy fuck, these guys have least 1000 more games than us."

( ुO_O)ु Boy~ I need this.

Most of them are RPGs, which is a genre I've been getting into lately. :blobsmilehappy:

I just want to play games, games that don't come to the West even if they're Classics that have already been translated before in the past. I know the PS3 had even more since it could directly play PS1 and PS2 games, and damn do I wanna try them if I could. :blobcry:

I'm pleading for advice, tips, guides, anything that worked. Like where do I start, what do I need, what should I do, how can I do this effectively. :blobthinkingsmirk:

I'm not asking how to speak it, just how to read it. Speaking it can come later, I just wanna know what I'm reading at times because of those RPGs can get pretty text heavy ya'know. :notlikeblob::blob_teary::notlikeblob:

:blobsanta: Thank you to anyone who reads and replies to this.

2. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    japanesepod101 dot com....
    free account gives one week(i think) of full access.....download all the videos....learn the hiragana and katakana, the sentence structure, some kanji lessons r there, then real life kanji use(its been 3 years since i last visited that site)....and look for Kanje de Manga....it has 6 volumes and u will be able to learn kanji upto N4 or part of N3 in the JLPT scale

Vanidor, Cosmic_, Novela and 2 others like this.
  3. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it safe to use?

4. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to a manga book I read, it's in bed

5. tahzib1451

Reading List:
    Link
    japanesepod?
    yeah its an education site....

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  6. Arkanth

Arkanth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guidetojapanese site and Obenkyo App

7. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a game series on Steam if you want a fun way to learn hiragana/katakana/kanji. Also, it costs money, so you force yourself to stick to it and learn - you know, 'cause you don't want the feeling that you wasted your money.
    I got that game on Steam Summer sale. Here's the steam store link to the trilogy:
    https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7746/Learn_Japanese_To_Survive_Trilogy/

SquadCammander354 and otaku31 like this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Some nuffians here already suggest tools and platform to learn so I just add something from my experience. First you need to have healthy amount of interest in learning Japanese or any languages and some kind of driving force of why you need to learn that language. I recommend to memorizing basic words for daily life, reading manga and watching Japanese movie/TV show will also be helpful because there's action and body language to help you understand and familiar with Japanese language. Don't be shy to open dictionary and translating tool if you forget or not understand. :blobsanta:

SquadCammander354 and Anra7777 like this.
  10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried self-learning for a few years. While I did learn some stuff, it wasn’t really effective compared with taking actual classes for me. It’s like, through self learning I learned how to count from 1-10, but through class I learned how to count the rest of the numbers. That being said, you may have a different experience and be able to self-learn better than me.

Also, being able to read Japanese is a good deal harder than being able to speak it. I would not recommend trying to learn to read text heavy RPGs so soon. I myself tried to play Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn with only one year of Japanese under my belt. I never even realized permadeath was a thing, and had a miserable experience getting over half way through the game and getting permanently stuck because I didn’t have enough troops left and everything was on one save file. I was able to play the game well enough otherwise, but I did have trouble following the story.

11. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Did u learn it good?

12. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Search for some online classes with good reviews. U can also use yt, there are some nice vids available that can ignite ur interest. Or u can just google the nearest Japanese learning center and go learn(better stay home rn....).

13. tahzib1451

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah.....upto N4 was good enough...then i dint keep up the learning and now its back to 0.5.....
    kanji is the tough one.....

14. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
  15. yun yun yun

yun yun yun (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 3 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Am lost...

Am someone who camps at Duolingo once a month~ :blobsweat_2:

SquadCammander354 and Hakumachan like this.
  16. Royal-Inquisitor

Royal-Inquisitor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    shortcut way u need to go to the nearest speeding truck and go isekai u will learn that in other world all people use japanese and u will get language comprehension from loli goddes ok pall

17. Hakumachan

Hakumachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    true
    duolingo is my go-to for any new language i need to learn

18. cjayr369

cjayr369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, listening to anime can help a little... But mostly, you could try using the google translate to know from the basic numbers to introduction up to minimal conversation.

But for me... I have an uncle who practice Japanese (to the point that he would use my notebooks) who I could ask for.

Edit: Your Japanese would also improve if you had someone you could practice with, they would help you correct your pronunciation as you learn.

19. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Repetition and everyday use is a good way to retain the things you've learned.

But it depends on your learning style. Play to your strengths.

Are you a visual learner, auditory, physical (learn through action, writing/calligraphy, etc.) a combination of these.

And what is your main goal? Are you trying to read Japanese proficiently? Are you trying to converse in Japanese proficiently?

Because the approach to either depends on how much you want to commit or put in the effort.

If you want to converse in Japanese, the best option is to learn from a native speaker, that can also speak your language, if English is not an option.

If reading or writing Japanese is your goal, it may be redundant to say, but there is a lot of free information available on the internet.

It really depends on your personal motivations. When things become difficult to comprehend, there are venues to ask for help. And any search engine should provide you an answer, if self-study is all that you can do.

imK and SquadCammander354 like this.
  20. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I feel like they're talking backwards at times, like I hear a name first and in the subtitles it appears after a couple words or more.

I just hope I can do it you know. I have uh, "multiple reasons" as to why I wanna l learn Japanese, none of which is for anything substantial!
    Cya everyone! Here I go!
        /\__/\ /\__/\
    ⊂ヽ ( ๑˃̶̀ꇴ˂̶́)つ=ω=)
      \  ノ  と)
      ( __フ ( __ フ
      (/  (/

imK and Kuro_0ni like this.