How can I reach this level?

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Eloisane, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Eloisane

Eloisane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As someone who has never seriously draw before,(well I have draw before,but very little and when I was young and I was bored),I want to start drawing and try to reach a decent level.
    Lately,some drawing ideas came into my mind and I would like to put them into creation.
    As they say,it may be easier saying than doing.
    See the pictures I posted for example:
    Not mega super realistic,which is fine,I'm not trying to create a Davinci painting and I really don't want things to be super mega realistic.
    Simetrical facial features.
    Colorful covers,the colors used really shine,it's nothing too shady or depressive or just too chubby and weird.
    Not western,I have nothing against western artists,but the ones which I have seen,really aren't as the ones I posted,they had there unique style,but it's not just catching to me.
    I'm not trying to create my unique art style,I'm just trying to be able to create that kind of art I posted and put my ideas in with that art.
    Where do I start,any tutorials,videos,software tools,painting tools,books...I don't know...just where to start and how to advance.
    It's more like a new hobby I want,but I don't know how far I will go,maybe if it's good,I could also be an artist,but that is just thinking too far and maybe it's quite unrealistic.
    So minimum level I want are the 2 covers I posted kind of art.
    Maximum level is:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  2. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Draw a lot, learn from anyone, study their form and steal their techniques...

There are no easy ways or shortcuts

Hardwork always shows result

Being good or expert starts from having a "Will"

Overcome this! Step forward! PLUS ULTRA!!!

3. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally not a big fan of drawing, so can't give much hands on advice, however you should probably try taking some drawing classes. I know it might be difficult to find but I'm sure you can find some of the basics for free on YouTube, or you could possibly use the free trail on Skillshare to take some real classes.
    Also, I'm sure you already understand but drawing at the level of the pictures you've shown is difficult and takes time, so I hope you can just have fun with it :blobxd:
    Not sure if it can be of much help, but good luck and have fun!

Eloisane likes this.
  4. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    From what i see, the difference is how much effort and detail each one use. To reach there? Experience. A hella lot of experience.
    The one detail i can see quite distinctive is the shadow casting and the detailing line for the hair and clothes. Unfortunately, i'm not experienced enough to tell the more subtle details

Eat_Angst and Eloisane like this.
  5. Eloisane

Eloisane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not trying to refute your post or say you are completely wrong,because like 70% of what you said is right,and I'm thankful for your support,but I don't really want to try something the hard way if I don't have proper basics and a route to follow,it's easier to pass a math exam if you understand the logic,you can memorize every problem,but if you understand the logic,you won't need to study that much and you will do things in less time and with better results (it's just an example I put)
    Saying study their form and stealing their techniques is right,but what I really want to know,is how,how can I steal it ,how can I reach it,what route do I need to follow,what kind of learning do I need,what did they do to achieve that kind of art,are they using some software tools I don't know,some books I don't know,if so,how can I find their sources?
    Thank you,gonna see,I mean,I'm quite lost,I don't even know what should I type to find courses that teaches that kind of art.
    Maybe "korean light novel art courses"?
    Much more than me,I wasn't even able to recognize the shadow casting and the detailing line for the hair and clothes

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Eat_Angst and ngard like this.
  6. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It takes some technique learning (anatomy, perspective, etc.) and tons of practice practice practice
    These artists might have gone to art school, too. So uh, that's a little more difficult to copy. But I suppose you could watch the Youtube courses (which I'm sure exist) and those little step-by-step tutorials made by random artists on Deviantart. It's difficult to find courses for this specific kind of art, but there exist plenty of speedpaints and tutorials by artists with similar art styles.

These were probably drawn with an application and a drawing tablet though. As for which one? No idea. Been to their twitter accounts (the last one seems to be by @enaa97, for example) but they don't mention it. Or maybe it's buried under all the other stuff.

For a free photo editor, you could familiarize yourself with gimp or photopea. There are others, but I've never tried using them.

Eloisane and Gitami like this.
  7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The advice that they're giving isn't actually wrong. If you look, you'll notice that it starts with coming up with a scene and then blocking out the paper and then putting in the characters.

That's the easy part that every self-help book will teach you.

Then it comes to the detailing and coloring. And that's where you need to practice for a long time and steal techniques from your favorite artists until you make it your own.

Eloisane likes this.
  8. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I look at other's art, see what I like about it, and try to draw it. Then I mesh it all together

Eloisane likes this.
  9. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate The Waffle King

Reading List:
    Link
    keep doing it over and over again for an extraordinary amount of times'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is mine

[​IMG]

10. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    you've improved tremendously, I can see the differences especially from 2019 to 2020:aww:

Devils Advocate likes this.
  11. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could reach that level but it’s a bit impossible for you to do it under a year, such artists build up their basics/foundation in their childhood years, I’m not trying to discourage you or anything but it is impossible for you to do it under a short period of time as you haven’t even started drawing, you barely qualify as a beginner, also copying art don’t actually improve your art by much and it is an extremely slow process, and also about stealing other people techniques it does improve your art skills in a short period of time tremendously but it does also stagnant your art skills at one level, it’s like taking all of the powerful sword art styles and mashing it one with basically no foundation although powerful but extremely flawed, also every artists techniques is filled with flaws that’s why they could improve over time by improving their own technique and style, also art school teaches essential art techniques like shading, point perspective, blending, hatchling..etc, by teaching them that students build up their own style and special techniques that they are the only one who could improve them by the foundation given by the school and their own perspective on art, basically what i’m saying is that if you want to reach that level you have to basically have your own special style and techniques, first step is learning those essential art techniques taught by art schools by learning that you could have the foundation to form your own style and technique.

You could trace that art, but you don’t want to do that it’s like memorizing the math question answer like you’ve said..

“you can memorize every problem,but if you understand the logic,you won't need to study that much and you will do things in less time and with better results“

Eloisane likes this.
  12. OppressedBeans

OppressedBeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m trying to get into drawing myself. It’s hard and I have a short attention span. But if your really really willing to put in the effort, I say just get down the the basics. I have a playlist called ‘Drawing’ on YouTube in the channel ‘OppressedBeans’. Got to the ‘brads art school’ channel and start from the first of his lessons on how to draw. He’ll start you off with basic geometry and homework (don’t actually have to turn it in) you can do it on your own time and it’s really easy. It’s for children but as you’ll see in the comments most of them are young adults trying to learn how to draw, so your not alone!

Eloisane likes this.
  13. Rahulwagh

Rahulwagh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's great that you want to start drawing and develop your skills! Here are some tips and resources to help you get started:

1. Practice regularly: Like with any skill, practice is key. Try to set aside some time each day to draw, even if it's just for 15-20 minutes.

2. Start with the basics: Before diving into more complex drawings, it's important to master the basics of drawing. This includes things like understanding perspective, shading, and proportion. There are many resources available online and in books that can help you learn these skills.

3. Choose your tools: You don't need expensive materials to start drawing. A simple pencil and paper will do just fine. However, if you want to explore digital art, you can invest in a drawing tablet and software such as Photoshop, Procreate, or Clip Studio Paint.

4. Find inspiration: Look at other artists' work for inspiration and try to identify what you like about their style. This can help you develop your own style and techniques.

5. Learn from tutorials: There are countless tutorials available online that can help you learn different drawing techniques. Sites like YouTube, Skillshare, and Udemy offer a wide range of tutorials for beginners and more advanced artists.

6. Join a community: Joining a community of artists can provide support, inspiration, and feedback on your work. Look for online forums or local art groups to connect with other artists.
    Remember, developing your drawing skills takes time and practice. Don't get discouraged if your drawings don't turn out the way you want them to at first. Keep practicing and learning, and you'll see improvement over time. Good luck!

EZLight777 likes this.
  14. EZLight777

EZLight777 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the general concensus is that it takes time and effort to get the results you want. That goes with anything you desire really. It does help if you have a passion for doing art.

15. sleepy knight

sleepy knight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ll give you some words of advice based on my own experience, maybe it’ll be useful, I dunno. I’ve tried to go down the path of fundamentals but then I reach a roadblock, how to now change my drawing style to a webcomic or manhwa style? I kept doing real life sketches but could never draw from scratch and even worse when I tried to draw manga style. What I noticed after taking years on break away from drawing is to reference from the art style that you like, this is where to start. Build the fundamentals BASED on this style though. Along side this doing quick anatomy (like don’t think about muscles instead focus on shapes) and poses will help solidify the learning. But referencing should be 50%. This is what I’m doing now. I’ll let you know how I’m doing after I’ve reached day 30. I’m on day 3 now. Oh! Also, I’m drawing with pen on paper. Graphic tablet makes me rely too much on erasing and so subconsciously I’m not actually focusing 100% on what I’m trying to copy/reference from. The danger of me not being able to erase pen marks ensures me I’m putting more effort in what I’m drawing. And for the first time in my life I actually succeeded in drawing correct proportions for eyes and it was in manhwa style. I’m hoping to draw a webcomic one day. Hopefully you can try the same method. Just don’t completely ignore fundamentals, you need them for the basics. Just do it side by side with you copying your dream art style, this will force you to see the art style in a different way, soon you’ll see certain shapes automatically and be able to make the style your own. One thing I will say, hair takes time. Where certain small strokes go, where should you overlap certain parts, pick simple hair styles to start with and then slowly try going for complex styles.

16. Layzfuzzy

Layzfuzzy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fastest way is to learn is tracing body poses. Understand the curves and body structure and copy them repetitively. Once you got the fundamentals down, then you start working on the creative part of drawing. While you dive into how to further express yourself, you will unlearn your fundamentals.