How Can We Help Original Authors Make Money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I made it pretty clear recently that I want to be Number 1
    It does not have to be feasible, any idea is welcome.
    Three unfeasible ideas can have parts that can be taken from them and be turned into a feasible idea.
    It will be best if we can help authors to make money without spending any money ourselves eg
    • You watch a video ad and the author gets paid
    • You use a referral link to purchase merchandise and the author gets paid
    • Merchandise for the novels is also a good idea

There is nothing as a bad idea just ideas left unspoken
    Hit me!

Dr_H_16 and userunfriendly like this.
  2. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not using addblock :blobneutral:

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's for translating and everything attached. I think what Wuji meant is probably the original Author.

One way could be a piece of the profits being used to buy books that you'd then have a giveaway for or something like that.
    Possibly a double scheme where you offer a gacha system and use the profits to get more inventory.
    Just don't be stingy and demand people pay their delivery instead of offering a free one.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You will have to explain further
    Your idea gave me this idea:
    Register a charity that donates money to Japanese authors directly.
    A charity with an outside board of directors that will oversee it

We already have things like this:
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fe...ordable-housing-for-animators-matters/.119155

It also applies to authors

5. Deleted member 185523

Deleted member 185523 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wish we could convince more of the authors to get a patron so we can donate

Fulminata likes this.
  6. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    My "ideal" way to help out the Authors would be to buy books from the Authors, be it LN or manga and donate it to a nearby Library or a Central one.
    That way you could poison people's minds into buying more promote SEA Authors and get more readers interested in them.

But that's an ideal that I can't realize... So it's useless.

As for elaborating on the giveaway, that would take some research to cut and paste together

Fulminata and Wujigege like this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that some studios have Patreon but I have not seen Asian authors with Patreon.
    I know there is a Japanese equivalent for Patreon but I do not think it is that easy for international users to make use of it

8. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Since it's original authors, the Patreon/Kofi system seems to work well. Those are platforms for original creators after all.

Then use a Kickstarter to raise funds if you wanna go the next level, like start a series or sell plushies/merch. That's the simplest idea I can think of, short of joining up with sites that host paid work.

EDIT: Before all that, you have to get enough readers for your stuff first!

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Instant Death got picked up by J-novel Club so I had to stop translating.
    It is a bittersweet feeling since even though I am happy the author will earn more money it would have been nice if I was the one who licensed it.
    I have spoken to J-novel club and it will be impossible for me to license.
    That is why I started this thread.

My goal changed to this: authors who do not have light novels or publisher contracts eg manga.
    Licensing from them should not be as improbable lol

10. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Hold up, are you talking about English authors or other languages? I thought your plan was to recruit writers of original English works, but it sounds like you're looking for Japanese/CH?/KR? authors with existing online (written) works but no other projects, right?

Hm, again I say the number of readers come first. Show them you can bring in the views and then offer them to sign on with you. If the work is good, then the clicks on their works will bring in the revenue to begin with.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I meant Chinese/Japanese/Korean authors.
    Japanese is more feasible since it is very easy to locate authors on Syosetu and unlike Qidian and Munpia, Syosetu does not copyright the authors work

12. Deleted member 185523

Deleted member 185523 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's exactly the problem, I don't think patron is even available in China!

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like in that case the most direct way to support authors is to sign up to their respective raw sites and give them donations/support/site currency to push them up the rankings there.

Of course, some sites block you from paying up if you don't have a national ID and/or bank account, which is annoying...

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Orz but when i saw "we" I was like I'm poor there's no we in me ....
    Orz
    There's always illegal theft of novels and all ...

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fix your ads. Don't make them appear in between the text. Fix the lag in scrolling down or up. Allow arrow keys for chapter navigation.

(This is going to be embarrassing if I mixed your website with another person.)

Oh, I misread the title. It's actually about original authors, not translators. Time for me to get some shut eye. I'm clearly not reading things right when I'm hungry as hell.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What about an online library? Is it feasible?
    Does anyone know of an online library that actually works?
    From the little that I know, libraries should need to pay more than retail for the books they have.

Food for thought : Amazon Publishing is the world's fifth-largest supplier of ebooks, but as of late 2019, also refuses to licence them to public libraries (in any country)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  17. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boy. They were trying to do something like that here during the quarantine: https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ends-a-hand-and-lots-of-books-during-pandemic

But a bunch of the authors didn't like it: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/30/8237...demn-the-national-emergency-library-as-piracy

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, well the U.S. Constitution's Copyright section says that copyrights are supposed to be for "limited times". Life+70 for foreign and domestic non-corporate works is, practically speaking, unlimited. You know, an undetermined length plus a determined length. We have Disney and other copyright maximalists to thank for those extensions with their lobbying. Also, practically speaking, the retroactive copyright extensions violate the Constitution's ban on ex post facto laws (retroactively-applied laws).

Fulminata and Wujigege like this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    This is something I so want to learn how to do

with encrypted files that are meant to disappear from the user's computer after a brief period.

I could use it for video files too.
    Starting a library that pays royalties or some form of ongoing compensation seems like the best option
    I know sites like munpia.com and Ridibooks.com have a rent option instead of buying the webnovels

Fulminata likes this.
  20. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever tried getting into contact directly with the authors and teaming up? I mean i see people wanting to help, and so but i haven't seen people that got to talk with the author and talk straight to them? What do they want? Do they have some ideas? Would you be willing to keep translating if his novel would not get a lot of money for a certain amount of time? You can't expect an author to get motivated with those things if you were to drop his work or not give the overseas readers something to read. Patreon is garbage for them, but there are other options in Japanese like fantia,enty that would surely be better for them to work with, and people overseas can still help them out.

Imo there is a massive lack of contact with those authors, you don't know what they want, you don't know what they think of any of this you want to support, but that's it and this won't get people anywhere. The first step to do something that would help them would be to establish contact,you don't need all the bureaucracy bullshit you need to cooperate, like talk with authors maybe others and try exporting an idea of getting their WN translated and that they might even get some money out of it, just like a syosetu but for that kind of works and because you have contact with the author if some company comes in people can talk what to do about it