Discussion How dark do you like your novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DelicousAsFuq, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunatic Eyes

Lunatic Eyes [Not Lunatic Anymore]

Reading List:
    Link
    As dark as possible. Butcher every enemies that pop out, butcher every sub characters that you used, butcher every main characters beside MC and her/his loved one as story progressing to the end, butcher every human in the world until there are only MC and her/his loved one.
    Make their situation like adam and eve and It will become a good story. *grin*

2. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. I'm the type to only read light stuff. I like comedy and lots of slice of life. A few conflict here and there is fine but going around killing people and rape is not really my thing. Maybe once in a while, a good dark novel is fine. But it has to be deeply compelling and good enough that I wouldn't lose interest in it too fast.

3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? I'm quite sure reading at dark place will damage your eyes instead. I don't want to damage my precious eyes.

4. saaas

saaas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto "
    "I am a human being, I think nothing human alien to me"

I think readers of dark stories want something more out of it rather than just slaughtering droids or raping monsters. For me what I seek is a sense of salvation that sheds hope into deep darkness of human heart. Human life is just very much a brutish joke. Cynically self-aware of this ugliness, struggling, making peace, then having good laughs at our own expense are what's needed to bring us hope. It is truly a pleasure to read stories that peer into the depth of humans that much. However the human factors of thoughts and emotions that make dark stories truly beautiful rather than random pointless violence of mindless thoughtless emotionless droids.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    As dark as katahane no riku

6. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    dark enough to make me feel bad about my life in general desu~

7. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't really like horror genre,it bores me,my parents are horror fans and I grew bored with the genre of ghost and zombies and things like that

which is why now I prefer to see the dark side of the human psyche,like revenge,desire for power,insanity,etc.
    and also ones that contain harem,comedy,and OP MC

8. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't particularly like dark novels. The ones from your example~ I dropped both novels. The story got ruined with how they went.

9. AkiraAkimoto

AkiraAkimoto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like Berserk. If it's too lighthearted, it's too boring, if it's too dark, well I can't see.

10. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    How dark? Like my coffee, I want it black.
    Edit: naw jk, I prefer happy comedy novels.

11. VoidTranslations

VoidTranslations Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Tragic more than Dark. I would yawn through the monotonous mass-killing chapters. Tragic and depressing storylines that absolutely crush the MC before giving him a little hope. Then crushing it again. Over and over, tempering him until he fights his way to seek his own little ray of sunshine.

saaas likes this.
  12. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As dark as my heart. That being said, only mildly dark with some occasional pitch dark novel

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind dark stories usually as long as they are not overly pretentious, melodramatic or focusing too much on fanservice.

14. Abox

Abox ☆Havek's Lil' Kitten☆ {Rea's Slave} |Bielt's Wife|

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually only care about dark novels that involve slaughter. As for rape, I don't really care for. All I want is blood. But yeah, I like Immortal Executioner, but only the beginning's executions arc. I really like the part in Terror Infinity where that one team flayed a celebrity, it was pretty cool, like they cut off all of her skin but kept her alive and raped her and such. But if murder is used for comical effect, like in MGA where the antagonists piss their pants and all, then it just bores me. But if the novel is also psychological, then that's even more fun. Like Terror Infinity, where they explore the depravity of humans AND describe in detail the gore and actions against humanity. Too bad Evil Organization's Recruitment Ad is on hiatus rn, because I really like the MC's personality. Youjo Senki is pretty good, but it really isn't detailed enough about its violence.

TL/DR: I like it when novels have excessive amount of details, blood, violence, AND psychology. Otherwise, it's not dark enough for me...

But then again, I read stuff like OSO...

15. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Dark enough for both the reader and the protagonist to consider suicide.

16. Azure Blaze

Azure Blaze 『Stability』『Calmness』『Tranquility』『Heavenly Blue』

Reading List:
    Link
    how dark?, No need to say much, as long as it shows a really convincing dark side of the humans It's all good for me, just don't give me NTR, it breaks my heart orz

17. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read stories, with people that make the evil sects of cultivation worlds look tame. They took hendistic pleasure to the up most extreme and created a dark pleasure god from there emotions. To these people the soul of the most tortured is a delicacy, one worthly of eating.

The prisons of these people have no doors and a person is only temporary safe if they stay in their cells, because the population is free to do anything to them if they step out.

18. Reasonable Guy

Reasonable Guy ❄Highschool Memories❄ ❄Boy of Zeta❄

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like a dark story. But yeah occasionally i will read it to enjoy the different taste between my favourite novel and the dark one. Sometimes i regret for reading a dark story, it's leave a bad taste in my mind. -_-
    I am prefer a story that told us about how precious life is (some dark novel hs it too), adventure and a heartwarming story.

19. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
    For me : I don't care as long as it's good story.

Killing and rape? You write fiction, right?
    So, even a million lolis and young beasts and animals were raped by the MC, it's just fiction. No animal or real people is harm while you write the novel, right?

But - do you write it so good that I've to follow what'll happen next?
    Do you write it so good that I also want your MC to kill another billion samaritans and children and nuns?

ATG is bad because of repetitive plot, not killing. Also bad because of idiot raping plot, not ultrafast raping action.

Did you ever read My Wife is a Beautiful CEO ??

20. saaas

saaas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrughs*

As you can read most folks here had no qualms about fictitious stuffs done, the issue is about how it is delivered. An exploration into psychopath's twisted mind is far different from a one-dimension MC's self-inserted power trip which is hallmark of badly written stories. Stories include only "whodunnit", maybe some clever "how it done" but left out "whys" are just simply unsatisfying. I found it incredibly bored when stumbling over MCs on a killing roll without any rhythms nor reasons, twisted ones included. *knock knocks. Hello, is there anyone home in that skull or is that a bot?* There were some stories that started out quite promising but it became more apparent that MC's minds take long vacation leaves and not coming back anytime soon, so I was politely not to bothering the front doors.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.