Discussion How did you get into reading translated novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UDI, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksaint124

darksaint124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My life was on a trajectory to reading translated novels from about the time I was 4 or 5 and discovered the original Street Fighter acrade game. My proximity to being a person that played fighting games growing up in NYC brought me to anime, manga, and translated light novels. I probably would have started reading them a lot later, but dial up made it cost effective to use the internet for novels instead of manga or anime.

Scheherazade and UDI like this.
  2. Blood-Lust

Blood-Lust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep dragged in by tales of demons and gods and read lnmtl against the gods recently

Scheherazade likes this.
  3. Tsukkin

Tsukkin [is currently lurking]

Reading List:
    Link
    Bcs of Legendary Master's Wife manga, then i found the novel and i'm hooked~

Scheherazade likes this.
  4. McNoodle

McNoodle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got into reading translated novels by reading an article about them on mydramalist. :blobxd: It was called something along the lines of "could these novels be adapted to your fave c-drama". Prior to this, I had read a helluva lot of manga and since the scanlations were very inconsistent I thought to try reading novels. Thanks to that article, I've discovered many wonderful novels and I actually enjoy reading them just as much as manga. :aww:

Scheherazade likes this.
  5. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    My first novel was The Founder of Diabolism / Mo Dao Zu Shi. i never fond of reading novel, i have been interested in knowing one at the time No Game No Life aired but didn't really give it much a thought.

i started reading MDZS cause the first 2 eps of the donghua plot confused me and i try to find the answer at the novel, at that time it has been translated to 40+ chapters and, i kid you not, i need to read it 3 times to understand the story and remember the names. Since it was my first time, it just came to me that Chinese name has 3 different types (courtesy name, birth name, title and apparently on other novels, there is also temple name) and also i learned the word 'Cultivation' :blobsweat::blobsweat:

this experience give me new sight, apparently i am okay with Chinese Novels but not with others (Japanese, Korean, Thai, etc) i only set my list on Chinese Novels (CN). I also enjoy reading CN cause the plot is different, even if it is transmigration, rebirth, games, survival horror, mystery...there is some detail that different from other country novels.

now i have 100+ ongoing novels on my list that i need to read :blobsweat::blobsweat:

6. Andro

Andro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched Ai no Kusabi OVA (the old one) and I read a few months later, that it was based on a novel. I didn't know what a light-novel is, but I wanted to read it. It was hard to find an english translation, but I managed to find on a russian website.

Scheherazade likes this.
  7. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SAO, from my original languange, then Slime Tensei made me enter the world of english translations.

Scheherazade and die4jingshi like this.
  8. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are so many members from these 3+ years of NUF. I'm so happy. :blobsob::blobxd::blobxd::blobsob:
    As for OP, I started reading and watching whatever I could. I only stumbled upon translated novels when I curiously wondered if there were source material for whatever I was reading. I don't remember the first light novel I've read, but I hope to stay connected with this community of readers. :blobjoy::bloblove::blobsneeze::blobjoy:

Donutmindme, UDI and darksaint124 like this.
  9. Gtro4

Gtro4 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After watching 'Overlord' anime, started reading the light novel. At the reddit thread somebody mentioned 'Warlock of the Magus World' being similar. After finishing WMW i was like "wow, other CN novels might be quality shit like this one:aww:" and started reading other popular CN novels.

I was not prepared:facepalm:

darksaint124 and UDI like this.
  10. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof there was a really slow manhua I liked so I tried finding the raws but there was actually a novel for it and I clicked it thinking it was the raws. Here ever since lol

11. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldn't wait for the manga that was based on the light novel to update so bam here i am today.

12. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    my first novel was emperors domination i dont know why the fuck did i decided to read that novel but i didnt understood a single thing

13. Zethuron

Zethuron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Either Tales of Demons and Gods, Or Moonlight sculptor, im not sure which one came first (both from their manhua/manhwa after i read everything there and stumbled on some links)

14. Verethragna97

Verethragna97 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, goes a while back.
    I got into Anime around 7 years ago when I was 14.
    After 2-3 years I was pretty much done with everything Anime and Manga had to offer.
    So one day before going on vacation to croatia I found baka tsuki, made myself pdfs of Index and Campione, two of my favourite anime of the time.
    I pretty much read all of the volumes of those novels on the vacation.
    Afterwards I read more or less everything on Baka-Tsuki and some of the other scarce JP webnovel translation sites. Japtem and Royalroadl of course too.

Don't actually know where, but I think on some manga websites there was a thread that collected all Webnovel translation links.
    So one day Stellar Transformation appeared on it, back when He-man was translating it on Spcnet or whatever the site was called.
    So I got into chinese novels, Stellar Transformation actually wasn't the first though, there was another novel on there about a moder military guy going back in time to become a famous general.

Shortly afterwards Wuxiaworld was created and I still remeber the donation queue races where Ren tried to clear the queue and somehow someone got some money from somewhere.
    Well, since then I have been reading most novels, especially some of the worse ones back in the day when there was not as much to chose from.

I got on novelupdates pretty late, I found Aho-Updates first and used that one cause it had some of the english webnovels too.
    But novelupdates just was better after a while.

It's been a fun ride for sure.

15. Verethragna97

Verethragna97 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another site like Novelupdates, I think it was actually first.
    Had english webnovels too.
    Shut down sometime in 2017 caue of money issues if I remember correctly.

16. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    Hope this site doesn't go that way.

17. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    lol as long as a better website doesn't appear then NU is fine. One of the main reasons aho-updates died is because NU was a better website and most people moved over here. I used to use aho-updates but then NU came out so I'm one of the people who migrated over.

18. WuPeti

WuPeti Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a couple of people mention it on reddit and thought i'd check it out. Haven't read too many but I'm surprised by how much I've been enjoying them

19. WuPeti

WuPeti Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot to mention that the first novel that I got into is Reverend Insanity... been an interesting read i must say

20. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read raw JP BL novel series such as Fujimi Orchestra and Flesh&Blood since a long time ago. My favorite non-BL series is The Twelve Kingdoms AKA Juuni Kokuki (and I am SO FREAKING EXCITED about the new novel that's finally coming out this year in October!!!! TAIKI!!!). But it was MZDS that sent me off the deep end at NU for novel translations for all the danmei novels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.