how do I diagnose on which part to replace?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have 30k mAh power bank. Both my laptop and phone use usb type C. using the cable, I am able to charge the laptop, but not the phone. Using the cable from my laptop, I am able to charge my phone. Using my laptop charger, I am able to charge my phone.

The cable has two male usb type c on both end.

It is just that my phone cannot recognize the power that goes from my power bank, while my laptop can. Previously it could charge my phone, so I don't know what went wrong here.

Curiously, my phone has no problem being charged if it is turned off, or being turned on when it is being charged and previously in turned off state.
    Help?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your power bank probably has 2 ports. Run your test on the second port and see if the results are different.

I would also reverse the USB cable by flipping it around. Sometimes those cables are directional even if they don't look like it.

Shiki likes this.
  3. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. reversing it doesn't work.

It has 5 output ports (4 out (usb A), 1 in/out (usb C), and 2 in port(micro and lightning). I only have cable with type c on both end on me right now. My usb A - usb C cable is already broken, unfortunately.

4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 in/out (usb C)

The above hint and the fact that you didn't say anything about the laptop not charging with the Phone's USB suggests that your phone's setting has been messed up.

I'm betting that your phone is currently configured to charge the battery.

You're probably using an Android Phone since iPhones have their own special connectors. So I think your phone's USB setting is:
    USB controlled by Connected device -> Change it to "This device" and change the Use USB for "Charging phone only". See if that works.

Ral and Shiki like this.