Question How do novels get adapted into Manwha/hua

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by yuri_moon, Mar 27, 2023.

1. yuri_moon

yuri_moon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sooo ik this is completely random and i maybe overthinking but how do kr novels and cn novels get adapted into manwhas\huas like does it hve to do with popularity or does an artist who likes the series contact the author

2. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most likely the former: popularity. Or simply the hype

3. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol yeah i wonder too. they always adapt the ones i don’t read/am not interested in D: even though personally i think i have great taste /hj

i’m sure popularity is a factor but it’s not always the case. i would think the ease of adapting it to picture is also a big factor.

4. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Popularity would be the main case
    Although, this might be off topic, there are cases where two mangaka made adaptation of same novels (ie: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha & Kusuriya no Hitorigoto). IDK for the details, but it's possible that both mangaka contacted the novelist & made their own interpretation for their manga adaptations

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  5. Stephanie Callysta

Stephanie Callysta 『Glasses』 好きだよ♡

Reading List:
    Link
    willingness and money :p

6. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    I think majority of the cases are when novels get really popular and authors either reach out or are contacted by artists or producers to make a manwha/hua version. It’s similar to the situation with dramas.

7. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a bit in case for manhwa. Btw I may miss in some points, so sorry in advance if I make mistake.
    Firstly, of course the popularity affect a lot but there's also other things behind.

All web novel authors start from a freelancer. But, when their work have enough reader or have potential, agencies will offer them contract. Whether it's a one-time contract or fixed term. Popular authors have fixed term contract because of their name value and always come out with new works. If you read in main platforms like Ridi, Naver, or Kakao all are already contracted with an agency or publisher like JC, KW, RS, NFic, Papyrus, etc. Then the agency will give them support like handling publishing, marketing, editing or other advantages. One of the advantage is adaptation. There's this term called OSMU, One Source Multiple Use. So the agency will handle any adaptations from merchandise, manhwa, animations, game, toys, drama, movie, anything you can think of. They'll plan which area to explore that fit with the work. Those pretty covers or illustrations are also sourced with the help of agency btw.

When a novel show potential or become popular the agency will offer adaptation to be made. Then the agency will connect to webtoon agency or studios to make the adaptation. Some agencies(or brands) are under a comprehensive company that also have webtoon agency. For example, Papyrus is under the roof of D&C Media that have D&C Webtoon. So the connecting stage will go smoother and simpler. But recently, I think adaptation is also offered forefront as one of the clause of the agency contract. A clause that a manhwa will be made when you finish the novel or reaching a certain chapters.

So, long story short. In case of manhwa, it's the work of the agency doing a good job to make more money from one source. When an adaptation is worse than the original, you can blame the agency because they can't plan it well or just throwing it to any studio.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    nienienie, KiwiCat, Nana24 and 2 others like this.