Discussion How do otome games portray villains/villainess

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by eryafii, Apr 8, 2020.

1. eryafii

eryafii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not Otome Novels but Otome Games

I haven't played an otome game with a villainess. Mostly games with all those "tap things to unlock chapters" but there really aren't villains to stop the heroine from a goal

I want to know how do real villains are portrayed. You can name specific otome games of their situation. Like, what is the background of those villains? How do they intercept with the heroine?

Also, what are the usual ending for villains.

There has to be a difference between otome novels and otome game portrayal of villains

pho-real and lohwengk like this.
  2. eryafii

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm mostly reading transmigration to otome game novels and is interested to know how it differs to games

3. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    In the first Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, there are rivals in love, but they are not actually villains. If we maintain a good relationship with the rivals, in the end they will give up chasing after the capture target. But if we don't maintain a good relationship with them, and we don't reach the required parameters, we won't be able to get the guy and the guy will be with the rival instead.

eryafii likes this.
  4. eryafii

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. What are the usual backgrounds of the rivals?

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Pigeons

lazyasianscientist likes this.
  6. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure about otome games but this is quite typical in generic shoujo mangas. Almost always there's that bitchy rival character that appears halfway through. Those villains are basically that.

Oh, maybe you can play Doki Doki Literature Club! and see for yourself. It's an amazing game, I'm sure you'll love it. Although not an otome game, there sure is a villainess character...I think?

7. vsukio

vsukio Well-Known Egg

Reading List:
    Link
    On the PS Vita, the only game I could recall that had a 'villainess' was Amnesia: Memories. The girl (Rika) was the leader of a fanclub for one of the capture characters (Ikki) and basically had her groupies harass any girls who got too close to him if it was against their rules. If you were to go for his route, the heroine would get constantly bullied at work and later attacked when she went on a group vacation trip with her coworkers. In one of the bad ends, the heroine gets pushed off a cliff by Rika and ends up in the hospital blind and deaf. Ikki then vowed he'll break them just like they broke the heroine. In Toma's route, the fanclub still harassed the heroine because they thought she was dating Ikki when in reality, she was only going to Ikki for love advice about her confused feelings towards Toma..

In one of the fandisc (not out in english), during a different capture character's route (Ukyo), the heroine gets kidnapped by none other than the Rika's elder brother-- because he assumed the heroine had stolen Rika's happiness with her man (Ikki).. whom wasn't even dating Rika while the heroine was actually with someone else lmao... Later during Toma's route on the fandisc, Rika becomes more chill with the heroine but still stalks Ikki but gets intercepted by Toma because of his stalker skills... For Ikki's fandisc route, she stops her fanclub members from harassing the heroine. Then on Ukyo's other fandisc route, she basically becomes the heroine's BFF after her and her groupies apologizes for everything they did.

The only other otome games that'll usually have a 'villainess' are games from voltage inc; but their endings are usually much more mild compared to otome novels (they usually end up becoming friends with the heroine).

If your looking for a ‘villainess’ who actually had a bad end, then I’d say the best example would be Rika from Mystic Messenger who’s ending is usually death by suicide or becoming beyond mentally broken in almost everyone’s route. She was all the capture targets friend and someone whom they loved and care for, but her depression made her mentally unstable and twisted so she faked her death and made a terrorist-like cult that was brain washing people to create the world she wanted.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    manan chauhan and Snowbun like this.
  8. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't play otome game much, but few games that I played didn't have any villainess. Maybe if the real game got villainess that actually the ML's fiancee, I will not play it because it hurts my conscience to become a homewrecker.

9. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on which guy you chase, but the rivals are the type that will match with the guy. For example one of the target is a shy intelligent student council member, the love rival for him is the mature, glasses-type also intelligent student council member. And then there is also a target who is an ace of the basketball club. The love rival is the shy and kind manager of the basketball club. Then there is the artistic rich guy and the love rival for him is a rich ojou-sama type.

Although not all the targets have love rival designated for them.

10. soba_oden

soba_oden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, as an otome game player who started in 2012 or so, I'm always baffled when I read all those "otome game vilainess" stories, because I keep thinking I have almost never seen a "villainess" sort of trope in otome. In shoujo manga, maybe, there's still plenty of titles that feature a b*tchy female love rival "villainess". Not in the otome I've played. It's to the point where I feel that these writers are either dudes who are making fun of the otome genre, or girls who don't play otome themselves.

What I more often see is a villain that hates the love interest/capture targets, and the heroine is just collateral damage victim. As vsukio said, the only one I could think of in recent memory is Rika, who is serving more as a Big Boss Evil Villain rather than the typical "b*tchy rival" that is seen in transmigration webnovels.

11. Chiisai-hime

Chiisai-hime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've played otome games for many years, and as the replies above pointed out, most of the 'villains' are just love rivals that don't do much to you. The closest to the typical novel ojou-sama personality though, is probably Angelique, where the other girl is haughty & prideful & of noble descent. She competes against you for the title of Queen, but she has her redeeming points and just talks condescendingly when she's not actually evil at heart. Tokimemo as mentioned above is another good example since most guys have a rival with stats that he likes, but as long as you get along with everybody, (or just the guy), everything is still good. The worst thing that happens is you lose the guy to the rival.

Rika from Amnesia is the rare evil villain who is out to destroy your life because you're too close to Ikki. The only other 'evil' one that comes to mind is Harutoki 3's Hojo Masako, but she secretly plots to kill you and all your men for her husband (and then she transforms and you destroy her ass).

Honestly, I feel like otome games actually tend to have male villains so you can go to the secret route XD

12. lazyasianscientist

lazyasianscientist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Amen to those male villains cus i love secret routes in otome games!!

Secret routes are fun but a pain because you have to capture the male capture targets first or you have to uncover something to unlock a route

I played many otome games in pc and mobile

Tbh i dont really find a lot of b*tchy female villains but i do agree there are super annoying spoiled bratted love rivals that you have to fight off to get your captured target but for the most part, i dont see much of these characters in new otome games. Some Rival characters have their own story while some are just plain cookie cutter rivals that just accept defeat or disappear after you get your man..

Ill give an example
    Mystic messeger

Capture targets
    Zen - echo girl (his obsessed fangirl)
    Yoosong - no love rival but you compete against his "dead" cousin rika (who's actually not dead)
    Jaehee - no rival
    Jumin - glam choi and sarah choi (oh these two are b*tches istg)
    707 - no rivals but getting him is like an emotional roller coaster

Other characters
    V - cant be captured on the main history but on the hidden stories its his fiance rika ,
    Rika - oh man shes the main villainess of the story , she made a cult and brain washes people especially unknown/ray to the point of believing her as his savior
    Unknown/ray - on the main story, you get captured/brainwashed by him in the bad endings but on a side story he's called ray and your only rival is probably the cult and rika

The newer otome games and otome visual novels are more into the plot and how they bring the heroine to unlock the world around her thats why the game encourages the player to get into more routes.

Mystic messeger is such an effort game but worth the emotional roller coaster :blobpeek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2020
  13. PomeloCloud

PomeloCloud 蝶のようにここまで

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been playing some otome games on my phone but I am yet to encounter a villainess =.=)