Question How do ppl MTL??

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by samcchi, Dec 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. samcchi

samcchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding, MTL means “mass translate” (???) and going through the forum I see people requesting for raws so that they can MTL the chapters to read

but like, how do they even do that djdhfjdj

Do they just copy paste the whole chapter and plonk it into google translate?? Read, rinse and repeat?? Like???

this is probably what they do and I’m just being stupid fjdjdjsjdjn

DanielleAfarit, Lissi and Akasata like this.
  2. Huahua2000

Huahua2000 Average NPC on the internet

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently that's how it works

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Machine TL.

Xxsafirex likes this.
  4. Akasata

Akasata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it’s too much work to copy and paste then translate everytime so I downloaded google app then change the setting for chinese text to be translated in English automatically.

5. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL stands for Machine Translation aka auto-translation that's done by web browsers such as Google Chrome. So we are asking for raw sites (aka sites with novels in the original language) and then wait for the browsers to translate these to English.

6. MillenniumMoon

MillenniumMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just set google translate to always translate the Chinese/Japanese webpages into English.
    I prefer using MTL than to read shoddy translator translations that might as well be MTL in disguise, it frustrates me much less than reading from a translator who's 'supposed' to have an editor or proof reader but the quality is still crap.

Xxsafirex likes this.
  7. samcchi

samcchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhh I see I would though ppl just copy and paste each time they read a chapter :,)

I relate to this a lot my GOD
    Like I just wanna read my novel smoothly and quietly I don’t wanna use my brain to try to decipher what they are trying to say (even though the translator says that it has been edited)
    I often stop reading a lot of novels cause of this :(

Iruma666 likes this.
  8. myfakeaccount

myfakeaccount Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always read in google chrome where it has automatic translator. So whenever it detects something in chinese( which is what i usually read in MTL), it automatically make it to English.

9. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    machine translation or mtl
    1.you download the chinese/japanese/korean chapters of a novel by looking for it's name in it's original language + "txt" <--- this part is in english
    2. you open the file .txt on google chrome on your pc while connected to the internet (open with---->>google chrome), a box asking you if you want to translate the page from chines/japanese/korean to english should pop-up at the top right of the page just press translate and scroll downwards slowly
    ==================
    that's about it you will see the text getting translated , when you reach the end copy it to a new txt file and you got yourself an mtl'ed novel
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    using python or any other simple programming language you can compile/write a simple program that would scroll downwards slowly , and by leaving the computor open it would translate the entire novel while you can play a game on your phone or watch something on netflix on the TV
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    karo, kislanyk and samcchi like this.
  10. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I use both the Google Chrome browser translation and Zhongwen Chinese Pop-up Dictionary. The pop-up dictionary is a great app that works in the browser, and will show translations of words and phrases when you mouse over them. I find it's usually much much better at chengyu (four character sayings) and other idioms and slang than Google translate. I also read some Chinese and speak even more Chinese, so seeing the pronunciation of words with the pop-up dictionary is often enough for me to read in Chinese.

I find using a combination of both is the most useful, since if you read something that makes absolutely no sense, you can go back and look at the original and see they google accidentally translated a person's name as part of the sentence, or turned words in the sentence into a name (for example, 美国 means America, 美 means beautiful and is also used as part of girls names AND as part of Imperial wife titles, so Google might translate a sentence like "Americans clearly laughed" when the real meaning is "Concubine Qing smiled." If you know there's a character named Concubine Qing/Qing Meiren/清美人, and see what all of the translations of each word are, then you can guess where the translation went wrong, and what the correct translation probably is.

11. Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read books on Korean sites through automatic translation in Google Chrome.