Request How do Web novel authors make money

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, you want to do original manga/comics for web novels? Or you want to translate manga that already exists?

And yeah, you don't hear about them that much, but if you do the legwork, you can find plenty of venues to get your work in print, or at least viewed by others.

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga/Comic will be to expensive for a start.
    I am thinking using the manga magazine format for web novels
    instead of a one novel per ebook, compilation of multiple novels in one ebook

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So if you were to make this kind of website, how do you plan on going about this? Do you already have a design? What CMS do you plan on using?

4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Still on the drawing board, I am still getting information

5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How would you differentiate yourself from sites that host multiple translators or translation groups and have daily releases from multiple WNs (like WW, GT, QI, etc)?

6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link

Apart from the monthly contests and the magazine system, I am considering publishing a manga/comic for the most successful authors down the pipeline. Still a work in progress so I am bouncing off ideas

Magazine will be essentially a paid ebook subscription
    I would have preferred a comic magazine but that will have a higher upfront cost

7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the best and most successful webserial authors seem to be those who really develop their novels and give something of their own personalities. They also all keep to a schedule for a long period of time with a large and consistent output, which convinces readers to buy in. And yeah, Amazon ebook sales are usually pretty valuable as well. They all typically have their own main websites which they publish on as well, along with other sites like RRL.

Westeller and Wujigege like this.
  8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you looking to do Western novels or translations of Eastern novels? One-shots or serials? Who's your target audience?

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Original Western Novels. Both serials and one shots
    Target audience: teens and young adults

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like you want to do something similar to what j-novel.club does, but for Western works. Not a horrible idea, but it might be hard to get it started.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that is why I am doing market research

12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For Eastern novels, it's easy to get interest. All you have to do is say, "Japanese Light Novels," and people will swarm to it. I wonder what kind of interest there'd be in translated Western web novels in the Eastern market.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Grass greener on the other site, exotic as you said
    SFACG is essentially a Chinese novel site with a Japanese feel, explains why it is so popular

14. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't been following the conversation, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but it seems like you're wondering what kind of revenue model I (as a reader/consumer) would prefer?

I don't know much about what works best as a book publisher, but personally, I'd rather pay a subscription fee or buy individual books/ebooks rather than deal with ads or pay for premium features/content. I've bought a lot of physical books over the years, even though I have access to free manga/novels, and I've bought a few ebooks from Amazon and some manga from JManga before they shut down.

I think an important factor is that I'm more willing to pay for niche or hard-to-find content. I bought from JManga, for example, because they had a lot of yuri manga that I couldn't otherwise buy, at equal or better quality to fan translations (most manga publishers tend to have lower quality). I wouldn't pay a single dollar for a fully translated 10k chapter generic xianxia, even a really good one that I enjoy reading, it's just too common, but a xianxia with female/female romance or a little girl as a protagonist? I'd definitely pay for that if the quality was passable, since that's not something I can easily find. Similarly, if you were a provider of a large number of CN yuri novels or some other unique niche, I'd be more likely to spend extra (paying for novels I might not normally read, for example, or paying for a higher subscription tier or something) to support that niche and help ensure that more is translated.

Now that I read more of the thread, it looks like you're thinking more about western novels, but the above points still stand; in my opinion, you should find an unfulfilled niche to fill and focus on quality over quantity, and you'll have a much stronger fanbase who are more willing to pay to support you.

Since you mentioned a format like manga magazines but for novels, I'm not sure how well that would work without an established fanbase to start with. Shonenjump.com, for example, is supported by the existing popularity of the individual titles, as well as the popularity of WSJ (the Japanese publication) and the previous English Shonen Jump. Viz also partnered with Cartoon Network, did advertising at cons, and was an established company with a sizable budget to start with, in order to create a market where it didn't already exist. And even with all of that going for it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shut down at any time (though I couldn't easily find numbers for how well they're really doing or how many subscribers they have). An ordinary subscription model like Crunchyroll would almost certainly be a far better choice.

As an aside, one of the biggest issues I have with ads (even good ads, even if they're just plain text with no images) is that they necessarily disrupt the reading experience. After all, if they aren't disruptive, nobody is seeing them. It's a very unpleasant way of reducing quality in exchange for offering the product for free; just charging money is a much more palatable option to me, and feels much less exploitative.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.
  15. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC the rich webnovel authors in china make next to nothing from posting on Qidian and instead all their money comes from licensing.

In other words, hope some idiot makes a movie out of your webnovel.

"You think paying money reading about jade toes was bad? Now you will read about green ornamental mineral-like feet fingers."

:blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.
  16. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they also get a decent amount of money from the rankings where their readers "donating" boost their rankings. Its kinda like patreon like that.

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if they do, it's a mountain piled up out of sand. As someone else said, China has the sheer population to make a system like Qidian's work. Hell, I think I even read somewhere that something like 95% of people would rather read on aggregators than pay to read on Qidian, and yet that still doesn't stop them from running the business. Even that 5% is such a large number.

Out here in the west with our sparse population (relatively) that just won't work as well. ... Only the most popular webnovels are going to make a fair chunk of change, and the rest, to varying degrees, will struggle. ... In fact, you can look directly at our published novel market to see the reality of that. All authors aren't J.K. Rowling or George R. R. Martin. ... and you don't have to think hard to know that their cash isn't coming from book sales. At least, not the larger half of it.

Eden and Wujigege like this.
  18. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true enough lol. Not for them.

19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    @Sena Fair point on the unique content. I think I heard about JManga, big dreams and big failures. I think they underestimated the market.

@Westeller Even immigrants like the Hispanics were taught birth control, what a travesty, so many shee... students of literature nipped in the bud. The population certainly is an advantage . I would say target India but I had an Indian argue with me about prices of books only for him to admit later that he was comparing to bootlegged copies lol.

Both your points reminded me of why it will be very difficult.
    Unique is good but the percentage of the population that will purchase is too minuscule which would be catastrophic especially in the smaller population of the west

Also, I believe that even though Western readers consider things like otome games repetitive, cliche etc Japanese authors have created a successful niche for themselves

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2018
  20. Randy_Miller

Randy_Miller New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I know it's also well paid by educational services. Students pay to writers for papers. It's a profitable, job because the amount of English students is very huge. I think authors have a part-time job as essay writers. For example, Edubirdie ( https://edubirdie.com/word-counter ) is a platform for essay writing orders. The best way is a finding for unique informational sources.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.