Discussion How do you F that up!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by prongsjiisan, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Abox

Abox ☆Havek's Lil' Kitten☆ {Rea's Slave} |Bielt's Wife|

Reading List:
    Link
    He turned it around eventually:/

prongsjiisan likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Why didn't they get the address from you by email at the very least!?!?!? *flips table*

Slayerwolfx2 and prongsjiisan like this.
  3. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, teaching. That wonderful experience where you learn all sorts of things about the nature of human stupidity in the worst possible ways.

Let's see... There was this one kid who quite nicely decided on a test to solve the wrong problem, as in wrote down the right answer, circled it, and then proceeded to add a bunch more factors for no apparent reason despite labeling it with exactly the same words as the question asked for on the test. Needless to say, I pointed out the error and hope they were ashamed of themselves.

Then there was this other one who decided that some sort of multivariational division was the best way to solve a quadratic equation, despite writing the formula just two lines above. I'm not sure what they were thinking, but I suspect a better question is 'if'.

Then there was a fellow graduate TA amused me terribly by deciding not to use a Hamiltonian in the Schroedinger equation. A bit technical, I know, but you can take it as the quantum mechanical equivalent of trying to plant seeds in cement. I mean, it will get you a result, but I'm pretty sure it's not the one you wanted. Of course then they felt it was only right and proper to use a rotated basis when we were already given the best one possible, but that was a minor issue by that point.

Even more technically, you have not seen [redacted] ups until you try to use other people's code. Redundant instances calling false dependencies, loops through single variables, commenting that makes you wonder how much these people had been drinking (or smoking) when they wrote this... Sigh, now I remember tomorrow's Monday again.

static7s, AliceShiki and Ddraig like this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Be like me.

Been a model for 3 years.
    Face appeared on several magazines.
    Went to the client's early.
    Had coffee, checked up on facebook stuff.
    Took selfie against the backdrop of the Taipei.
    Time for meeting arrived.
    Wondered why the guy haven't come yet.
    I looked at my phone.
    Bloody iPhone ran out of battery.
    Quickly recharged it.
    Found out there were a dozen missed calls made.
    Turned out I misread the name of the building.
    Waited at the wrong building.
    Lost the contract.
    Xiao Han jie jie was pissed.
    I had to go back and be extra nice to the client.
    Got a pay cut as punishment.

5. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you F that up!!:aww:

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  6. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Happened to me. I wrote down the date of an exam wrong. I've always been a good student so when I asked to take the exam a week late my professor just gave it to me right away. When I submitted it he remembered to ask me why.

He was like "I thought for sure you would have a really valid excuse." I was like "Well, I could lie and tell you a sob story but I'm really honest." He got the point and allowed it. I mean, I could easily have just said some bs story about some sort of emergency.

Slayerwolfx2, AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  7. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    NBN

static7s and ShadowFish like this.
  8. ShadowFish

ShadowFish Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the chemistry lab, two students and I were working at the liquid chromatograph (HPLC) with our class's demonstrator:

The machine stops working: "Error: High pressure alert!"
    Demonstrator, "Oh %^&$ what's wrong with the machine?!" (the machine is meant to be prepared before the class by the lab technician)
    Student A, "I'll ask the lab technician for help!!"
    Lab technician comes over, "Oh maybe it's this panel here? Maybe it's this setting....Maybe it's that thing over there...etc"
    *15 minutes later*
    Lab technician, "This is REALLY strange, nothing seems to be wrong with the machine..."
    Me, "Has it run out of water? Because the bottle containing the mobile phase (aka water for our experiment) looks empty..."
    Lab technician, "Nah, it's full to the top of the bottle. That's why you can't see the meniscus line..."
    Me, "There are no bubbles..?"
    Lab technician, "@%#^*# it IS empty!!! I'll go and get more!"
    *5min later*
    Lab technician, "We've run out of deionised water! I need to drive to another faculty building, I'll be back in 1/2 an hour..."​

I thought it was funny that the machine running on water had run out of water...and the lab technician hadn't noticed. :blobokhand:

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, the joys of working with things other people made... Pretty much the only example I could easily relate to on this thread... :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

I got to work on an illustrator file from a friend that... Had 0 organization, a bunch of useless stuff, and had a strange function that I never saw before that didn't allow me to select anything... I ended up having to re-do the file from scratch...

I can only imagine how terribly worse it is with coding... At least illustrator is a visual media, so I can find walk arounds more easily... Well, at least I think so.
    Ah, phone battery... I always carry a portable charger for this exact reason...

Ganbatte Ai chan! >.<

Slayerwolfx2, readerz and Ai chan like this.
  10. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would be disastrous if it broke.

ShadowFish likes this.
  11. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep in the beginning of this year I got to overhaul a wordpress based website that had been made by some "professionnal web-studio" that had the weird work habit to never erase any of the pages old versions along with all their obsolete graphical elements, and all the plugings that they though they would use but didn't in the end... There was more than a thousand unused files in the library, most of them being identical and named with just incoherent strings of numbers for a 15 pages website... And quite a lot of the graphical assets used in the final versions of the pages was directly hotlinked from other websites that this studio made... By the way the inverse was also true as some unused files in the library seemed to accessed a lot.. A LOT.. by some other websites this studio made after this one, making the bandwith go poof a few weeks after the start of each month (that's the "bug" for which the website owner contacted me in the first place)... :facepalm:

It was a fun January... :blobdead:

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *pat pat pat* You had it rough...

Mine was a lot simpler, and it was only a single file... I just saw lots of pointless stuff, no organization and poorly executed stuff... As well as one single function that I never saw before and that made my work a lot harder... Haa...

At lease you fixed it!!! \(^^)/

readerz and FranckOA like this.
  13. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    So how do you F that Up.:aww::aww::aww::aww::blobwoah::blobpopcorn_cool:

14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...:hmm: Give me a moment to remember, ah!:blobwoah:
    I'd friend-zoned a possible partner even when she, with all her numerous and obvious attempts on me in the past.:blobawkward: I only just realized it after she cried in front of everyone.:sweating_profusely:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    prongsjiisan likes this.
  15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I know a better one. There was this person who tried to sell themselves for nuffies in an auction but forgot to set a deadline. I mean seriously, learn to sell yourself properly right? smh

(So far I sit the winner with 1001 nuffies : /)

16. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a job as an asst manger at a fast food place, no training the six months i stayed there, yet somehow my boss thought i was the best employee....job was too much stress so i quit lol
    Ive done that...:(

prongsjiisan likes this.
  17. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a difference between [x]-proof and [x]-resistant. Very few things are idiot-resistant. None are idiot-proof.

AliceShiki and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  18. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Done it...
    Quite recently too...
    Copied the answers for the multiple choices and stuff like that, but no one helped me with the harder questions... basically I was one of the few that didn't have help, cause the whole class was cheating except 5 perhaps students...

19. OriginalChaser

OriginalChaser Dying as a Human

Reading List:
    Link
    New guy has a list of where to put loaded, empty and relay trailers... still mixes them all up e en after 3 months of retraining

prongsjiisan likes this.
  20. Boricua Lunar

Boricua Lunar The Jaded Wangfei Inquisitive Polymath

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes, the fabled On The Job Training is the best way to nurture your BS skills. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: