Discussion How do you feel about Pride Month?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AliceShiki, Jun 9, 2021.

?

You pride of yourself?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Not really

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. Dunno? Maybe?

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. I'm proud of things I have done

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just curious I guess? I mean, I'm bisexual, but I never particularly felt any pride about it? To me that's just my tastes and that's all there is to it.

I get that there is a historical reason due to oppression and whatnot, but well, I don't really care much either way.

So... To me, when people talk about pride month, I end up just feeling like... "Oh yeah, that exists." And then I move on with my life.

I dunno, I just can't associate my preferences of romantic partner with pride, I just don't get why that would be something worth being proud of.

But well, pride month has its purpose of raising awareness, being a form of cultural expression and yada yada... I get it is important, I just don't feel like the word pride makes any sense in that context.

So uhn... Thoughts? Anyone feels differently about it? Anyone feels proud about their sexual orientation and stuff? Mainly curious on other people's opinion on it.

2. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh. Here's waiting for Gluttony or Sloth month, that's more my cup of tea.

3. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not as much about feeling the pride for it as it is for raising awareness....
    There's lot of people who don't really accept different sexualities yet, so I would say it's necessary for now...

:blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only heard it exists and know it has nothing to do with me. :blobpopcorn_two:

kyuukestu, Xxsafirex and simak like this.
  5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Do I get an off day? No? Then I don't care.

Good for those who wants to be proud, just don't go full vegan.

Havisu, daoki, Kansuou and 3 others like this.
  6. 911

911 [Officer][Official Police][Tag me when needed]

Reading List:
    Link
    People can do whatever they want. In their own Home.

7. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I don't care for it. It's just a way for people to feel special to those who shouldn't care about it. I only care about holidays, family birthdays, and friend's. Anything else doesn't matter for do I have a connection with it? No, I do not. Oh and also history I deem important and those days that mark said event.

Starfox Stellar likes this.
  8. hysique

hysique Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All thats in it for me is the fact that I seem to find more BL, only plus for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Annoying. It's not like those with straight orientation show it with their "straight" month. I'm in the opinion that whatever your gender sexual orientation is, do it. But don't force your opinion on others. yes, you are straight/gay/bisexual trans/cisgender/attack helicopter, but I don't need to know it, unless I am interested in you romantically. I'm pretty accepting of stuff around me, but in the sense that it's not my place to judge.

Being shoved for political things like this? It's annoying as anything politics.

Edit: you as in anyone I interacted, not specifically you @AliceShiki

kyuukestu, daoki, Drake98 and 6 others like this.
  10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally feel ambivalent about it, but I also agree with @SylviaViolet that it’s important for raising awareness. There may be people out there who are questioning their sexuality and see this celebration and know that they too can be accepted, and that is important. It would be nice if it changed some people’s minds too, but I won’t hold out hope for that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh and if I did spit out my full opinions out completely about what I feel about gender, sexual orientation, and the like. I'd be walking a thin line due to my double standards in consideration of their double standards. But my main problem would be related to a person's body and their brain body map - the cortical homunculus located in one's parietal lobe of the brain. And that rejecting your body for what it is would eventually become a bad thing over time.

12. zerdkt

zerdkt Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm from a country where there's no such event because, y'know, homophobia and all that.

I can see why people celebrate and being super amped about it but I just feel meh about it. Especially since all I see on social media about pride month is either arguments about A should or shouldn't do X at the parade or the most annoying thing ever - flag discourses.

Here there are people who can't be who they are without risking danger, etc. and over there, people are arguing about damn flags and what you should do at pride parade. I guess it's not really a good feeling on my part whenever June comes because people recycle the same arguments every year lol

Llamadragon, Nightow1 and AliceShiki like this.
  13. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gayest month of the year

14. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a lot of it has to do with reaching out to people who feel isolated because of their sexual preferences, and giving them a community and a sense of belonging. That's why a lot of more mentally stable non-heterosexual people don't actually care about pride month : they don't really need it. A similar thing is the whole "cultural appropriation" thing : it doesn't bother people who live in the mono-culture country of origin, but it can bother some of the mentally weak, in-between cultures 2nd generation people because some can feel isolated from the mainstream culture, and thus take refuge in their identification with their parents' culture. They feel like that special connection is being taken away when others adopt aspects of those cultures for fun. I do think it's a bit overblown, but I can see why it's being pushed in both cases. I just do my best to ignore and move on with my life.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *group hugs* Yeah, I agree that it is important, I just don't like pride being involved with it~

To me this is just the "LGBT+ Awareness" month or something. I don't get the association with pride outside of a historical context.

Anra7777 and SylviaViolet like this.
  16. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It's honestly not related to me by much, but I just think of things like women's rights and different racial rights movements and our society would have been pretty terrible without them. If there's another portion of the society being left out for who they are, sure we need to have some recognition of their rights, but as people above mentioned already, making things political creates a lot of unpleasant involvements and there are also a lot of unnecessary parts to what they do.

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    "Pride" is a good word, insofar as it is related to the sin of self-conceit and vanity, as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's an enormous problem.

As long as homosexuals keep waving a flag about how different they are, society will remain polarised about them.

It's the same for the black lives matter stuff in the US. As long as minorities separate themselves from the majority in this matter and celebrate their "weirdness" (and I thought the whole point was to convince people it wasn't weird) people will keep thinking they are weird.

I'm opposed to most of these types of things, because I believe they are the main reason homophobia and racism remain such strong forces in western society.

I like Morgan Freemans take on racism. "I'm going to stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man." And I think it applies equally well to "homosexuals" and "cisgendered".

Stop talking about it. Stop making parades about it. Stop making conversation with the sole motive of bringing it up. Stop creating outrage. Stop attributing everything to a persons sexual orientation or race.

18. Starfox Stellar

Starfox Stellar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Emm, I mean it’s neat...but like others said, straight people don’t show off their straightness like idk.
    Why would you be proud of liking a specific gender? Like is that something’s that has to be put out there? Just you do you, no need to waltz around with a sign around our neck.
    It’s just meh, kinda annoying when you want to do something and all you can see is pride related events. Especially in my area, it seems like there’s nothing else you can do during this month;;

Nargol likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Maybe I Should have titled the thread as "How do you feel about the word 'Pride' in Pride month"... >.>

aShinyVaporeon and A5G_Reaper like this.
  20. Fp401

Fp401 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is exactly how I feel.
    You should.

Nargol and Nightow1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.