How do you guys get into games?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Walter vi Britannia, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Lantyne

Lantyne [Apathetic Syndrome Stage 5] [Incurable] [Doom]

Reading List:
    Link
    My older bro introduced me into games from nintendo back when im in elementary, since then i consider myself addicted to games. Mostly Playstation RPG games or horror games etc. Even though i do play mobile games it gets boring soon enough and half way or maybe just after the initial first time play i would delete it. Oh how i miss great games like FF or Suikoden Wild Arms persona etc back in their glory. Now days games are... Not my cup of tea.

2. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    An acquaintance of mine introduced me. But even after many years, I couldn't be a "true gamer", but just a "casual gamer". There were only 3 MMO games that I truly liked enough to spend $ on them. Beside them, then I'm only a "casual Free gamer".

3. CandleLight

CandleLight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Best reason for me is friends who enjoy the game with you. They don’t have to be RL friends, but in game as well.

Theres this one mmorpg mobile thats very generic, very pay2win, not that outstanding, but I tried it for the sake of trying. Well, like many Ive tried before, its okay, I liked the animation and PvP map but thats it.

Then I got married in game, and I found my buddy in roaming PvP maps and killing everyone on sight (mostly the afks rofl). Eventually found a guild that enjoys it as well, eventually becoming a top guild. The drama in guild, the eventual civil war (lol guild split in two and everyone went KOS on the other; no grind could be done on this period) the make ups and break ups and my numerous ex lovers (divorce papers was $1 so meh).

Let’s just say I wasn’t expecting the ride lmao.

Anyways even now, I still play games that I have someone play it consistently with. Might be the magic for you.

Silver Snake likes this.
  4. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most probable reason for that is, that the shitty companies try to get more money out of everything, so they destroy a perfectly fine game with 3 hours playtime, good story and all, and replace it with half the story, more game Dynamics, "ecpic shit fights" and stretch it to over 10 hours. Often this is just not what the game was made for by developers, so it ends up getting boring
    Obviously csgo and lol were not made like this, since they were PvP games from the start. If you want, read re:write on RR, it explains that situation well at the beginning

5. pyro5379

pyro5379 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *cough* pocket mortys *cough* great mobile game.

6. thebebb

thebebb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You probably just not playing genres you like. From the sounds of it, you're playing MMOs which are socially driven. In that case, you might want to try out games with a different focus.

Seeing as you can stuck with a TV show from episode 1 then it might be better for you to try a more story driven game. Maybe a JRPG? Those tend to be more story focused than western games after all

7. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    It's OK to not be too interested in games. I recommend looking for games with the kind of story you'd enjoy (same genre as the novels you like) if you do want to play.

8. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I went looking for games similar to the genre of novels I like, it's most probably be visual novels. I don't really consider those to be games, more closer to novels. But there are tell tale games and such which get me hooked but I pick those as I pick my novels, based on the genres and story.

I was talking about games with more gameplay, competitive games and sort. Sandbox to waste my time in a virtual world.

9. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you can pick games that way too, games with interesting stories. It doesn't sound like the time-wasting sandbox games are fun for you, after all.

10. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea but that's what I wanna do. I wanna do my own things and have fun making my own story that's not pre-written by someone.
    Pointlessly run around knowing that there isn't a clear set goal other than my own, have my own ideas and fool around like my friends and get competitive in a world where I can do stuff I never could in real life.

As things stand, I might be more interested in the works and lives of other people rather than coming up with and doing things of my own.
    This line might sound very deep and meaningful, but tone it down a notch and limit it to things I can simply do from my computer...namely, within a game.

11. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems to me what fascinates you about the idea of video games is the world and how your choices can shape the world.
    I think true RPGs are what you are looking for and are the heart of what makes videos games great. A near perfect balance of gameplay and story. I suggest playing Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored, The Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin 2.
    Disclaimer: I've only played one of these games.

PvP focused games are kind of boring in the long term and are usually only for a momentary high of fun.
    I love MMORPGs for the simple world exploration. But most people play for the people. I suggest not doing this. If you're going to invest your time in something, I think It should be for yourself.

Story focused games are fine, but I find myself wanting to read a book instead of playing the game.
    Gameplay focused games are fine too, but most people tend to need the higher challenge of pvp. And without an interesting story, I find myself not caring about what happens next.

Edit: Not finishing a games is perfectly normal. Out of all the forms of media/entertainment they are by far the largest time sinks. And the definition of a "finished" game is very loose. Did you get to the end cutscene? Did you find all the secret bosses? Did you finish all the DLC? Did you get all the achievements? Can you speedrun it in under an hour? If you enjoy the game then play it. If a game loses your interest it's the game to blame, for not being good enough (most of the time).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  12. Ten Thousand Words of Truth

Ten Thousand Words of Truth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well... three elementary school children whose english is not that good playing RPG together.

13. Claire Lilly

Claire Lilly ~Fairy of the Moon Blossom~

Reading List:
    Link
    After I finish a game, I will delete the save data in most cases, but I also don't have the motivation to start a game anew. There are rare cases, where I've played games again and again. I think this is quite normal, if you aren't a fanatic gamer.

14. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thread is resurrected. Oh well.

I got into games because...

*drum roll*

...my parents bought a PC.

15. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    How is it resurrected? lol
    I suddenly get 2 replies to it after so long. Is there a reason for it?

16. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I don't know. @Claire Lilly resurrected the thread. I just jumped in to increase my post count.

17. sameersam

sameersam New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to play puzzle and strategy games on my android smartphone.

18. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't really get what you said there. So do you like sandbox games where you have no clear goals and have to set them up yourself or not?

19. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    That I don't know myself. I can't seem to get into any types of games but after I boot up the game I slowly start enjoying it but after quitting it I lose interest again. That loss of interest prevents me from opening up the game again even though I know I might enjoy it if I open it up again.

Anyway, it has been a long time since the post, you don't need to bother seriously considering about it.

20. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    KOTOR 1. brought me into the world of RPGs