Request How do you make guy friends?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GluttonGirl, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GluttonGirl

GluttonGirl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh I loved hikki in that anime. Thanks for the suggestion

2. ICe

ICe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree with that in general though misunderstandings often happen as seen with your case.
    also someone wrote that you should tell him clearly why you approached him and that is was in no way you playing with him. at least you know now that he easily misunderstands and that you need to be very direct and clear with him.

also please give us curious ones an update at least on how it went, if you want also progress (yes i like "watching" how things turn out!)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  3. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck. Incidentally, how old are you. I said the whole thing about being creepy and desperate, but I was thinking with an adult mentality (like 17+).

If you happen to be 14 or something, it's hardly shocking that an anime geek would be awkward with girls and expectations.

If you two are like 17 or up... I have to once again say, that's pretty much out of the question lol. Unless of course you're leaving out the parts about how for the last month, you've been glancing at him repeatedly in class or something.

EDIT: Or laughing hard at his unfunny jokes.

Astaroth likes this.
  4. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    Well maybe that guy thought that your kin (girl read xianxia, etc) couldnt possibly exist. She is here to confess

remy911 likes this.
  5. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    He so unique lol:ROFLMAO:

6. maskedcerf

maskedcerf DCLXVI

Reading List:
    Link
    my way of getting friend seem to be the most simploe here ^^ to look dumber than the guy your trying to get friendly with ^^ when he notice you are as clever or more clever than him you will be friend since quite some time ^^

7. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm. Looks like the 'usage' of the word 'adult' is primarly for "explaining' things ... As a matter of facts. I disagree with that. That word shows only an expectance of an certain act and its limitations aren't very clear.

www.thefreedictionary.com/adult
    ..whatever. That user was referring to the 'maturation' of mind, the mental age.

www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/mental-health-social-anxiety-disorder
    www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/social-phobia-social-anxiety-disorder/index.shtml

=>no, hard words aren't always needed. On contrary, they show lack of understanding, acceptance and impose personal values and notions.

Have fun!

Arcturus likes this.
  8. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have to agree that the guy had to much expectation when you came up to talk to him alone, but it's understandable when you came up to talk to him after his conversation ended with his friend(s).

It is better to go up to them when they are talking about their hobbies and just ask questions then gradually bring up other anime that can relate to their answers. Part way into the conversation, introduce yourself if you want.

If it's one on one, I do the same. I start with a question base on their belong that are of the same interests as me. The way I see it, asking as question about the topic you're interested in is a clearer indicator that you're more interested about the conversation topic rather than the person. Afterwards introduce yourself if you want.

Honestly from my experience, if you see the person (of the opposite sex) often, not introducing yourself or asking for for the person name is a clear indicator that you're not romantically interested in the person. At the next few talk, introduce yourself and get each other contact. Unless its business tallk, getting the person name and contact of the person (of the opposite sex) within the first conversation tends to mislead the person that you are hitting on the person.

Arcturus and CDLevit like this.
  9. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow! The balls on that kid I wish my confidence was high enough to ask women out after 40 mins to an hour.

[1]The path to male friends is filled with strategic insults and interrupting stories. For instance if talked about an anime you watched and if he starts talking stop him and immediately talk about the best scene. Like Gohan's SS2 transformation or Krilin's betral that let cell become 'Perfect'. And if it not a hobby don't be afraid to laugh in his face or even insult him (if its too much for you, you can apologize after your done laughing). But typically don't leave any space for and ideas for 'smooth criminals' and ultimately just say the first thing that comes out of your mind. Oh and the best thing I almost forgot to mention is never try to be cute. I've had plenty of female friends try to join my groups friends over the years
    ( I get bored really easily and I can't stand it. So I try to always have someone, male or female, to talk to at work or at school.) try to be cute or act like there's a barrier between her and us. It always led to a guy friend asking her out. its cool if you want that though.

'Guy friends' a friends without intimacy, noone wants to date their bro so why not be honest and say what you want to say. And if they dislike then they aren't good enough to be friends with you anyway
    10/10 info.

[1] When you enact this method make sure your story is interesting and that person isn't in a bad mood. Though it doesn't matter if they are or aren't....
    [2] Only use this method after you've tried the other good advice in this thread. As this is more of what I've done over the years and I know it sounds crazy but it works... For me...

10. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Friends huh... hmm... brainwash them to make them your friend... that way you can't be betrayed...

11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    @GluttonGirl

How? Show them your tits.

But if you're just looking for a completely platonic relationship, you can start by asking them:
    1) "I heard you were talking about manga and anime, I'm currently looking for something new, what would you suggest?" Boys won't even be able to stop talking.
    2) "You boys are always about harem this, harem that. The best romance is love triangle, like Citrus!" Boys won't be able to stop arguing with you.
    3) "Dudes, I missed Naruto volume 20. Either of you can lend one to me? No? How about Negima volume 18?" If they have it, they may lend it to you, but if they don't you've planted the seeds in their minds that maybe you're one of them.
    4) "Hey peasants, I want to watch the new Ansatsu Kyoshitsu movie. I heard you guys watched it, I want it. Let me borrow your DVD." They'll worship you as their otaku goddess.
    5) "I heard you talking shit about Yuuki Rito, and comparing him to that idiot Ichika. Wanna try saying it again, you bastards?" They'll see you as the gangster otaku girl they can never agree with. But at least you've made friends.

Prometheus and GluttonGirl like this.
  12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    If we are talking about making guy friends. One of the friends I made started with a Disagreement over a topic, I overheard him talking about about it, One thing lend to another and we were having a full on punch up, after the fight we just went and had a drink together.

13. Ruruanashi

Ruruanashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. In my case, simply just join up the conversation, put few profound arguments to show your knowledge on the topic, make basic distinction on the status, or put up a front assault in the end by saying, could you be my friend? To close every romantic route thought they have. This could only be done if you are a straightforward person. Please do note for don't even give any chance for a follow up trend (gesture or everything), or else it could end just like that again over time.
    2.If you are a shy person, let's say loss on words what to say, awkward, and too much inner monologue, pull one of your best friend on the conversation just for a while (borrowing knife tactic that is) let her go, after the deed has done. This basically shielding you from an imminent misunderstanding while putting pressure and shield, on the target for a while, after that, everything is up to you.

Simple warning: Stay calm at every condition, after all friends made start when each party involved feel that they could communicate better for each other.

Ah, I don't know if my advice is good enough though, me myself made friend in equal standing after all.

Eruxol likes this.
  14. Sansome

Sansome A Kind and Honest Villager X

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm speechless... if you want male friends IRL(otaku-thing).. it's easy.. the first thing you need to do is ask him.. "do you hate the existences both yaoi and shounen-ai"? if he hates or loathes them then don't continue just avoid him... that guy must be horny as*hole.. at least he makes some excuses not frontal verbal insult... since you're a girl...

15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it really depends on the culture. LGBT is not something welcomed in my country, and I knew a lot of great people that dislike the idea of LGBT as it is against their belief. I see no connection between liking/disliking one genre, and that person being unpleasant/horny/despicable. Not all girl like yaoi/shounen-ai btw.

Novelty and Night-Rain like this.
  16. Sansome

Sansome A Kind and Honest Villager X

Reading List:
    Link
    yes it's just as you said not all girls like yaoi/shounen-ai but i think it's just kind of test... Because it was happened to me in middle school and i was like "SRSLY?(゚┏Д┓゚ ;) "

17. Night-Rain

Night-Rain 『DeaD』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not just that my friend. You were implying... no stating that if a guy doesn't like shounen Ai or Yaoi then he must be horny as*hole? I wouldn't give out such an advice....ESPECIALLY to a middle schooler

18. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize you just said that you would show off... why would you show off if you dont want to conquer the girl? its a subconscious thing, you get no control over it.... a man will ALWAYS want to get the girl if he finds her atractive or likes the personality... even more if both apply... now if you speak that if the guy loves the girl or only want to get in her panties and nothing more... then we are talking about another topic.

There are a few exceptions of men not wanting the girl if she is attractive or has a nice personality or both, and those are... you already have a girlfriend and unless she accepts harem you dont bother, the girl is happily married (you got no chance so you dont even try because of your morals), the girl is happily with a boyfriend (again you got no chance so you dont bother) and an exception to this is that you want the girl redardless and want to ruin their relationship and ntr the huspand or boyfriend and you not no morals..... take note that wanting the girl but cant get her dosnt apply since you still want the girl XD... and the last one is... your gay.

My opinion on this is that friendship between a guy and a girl does not really happen until both are in a happy relationships with their respectives partners and even then its quite possible that the guy wanted the girl but she married another one... who knows... maybe the (if you are a girl) guy friend you had all your life has a crush on you since forever but hasnt told you for whatever reason

19. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok......I have had plenty of platonic relationships with people of the opposite gender and I know plenty of people who've had them too, without any sort of relationship tension. It's really not that difficult. I think might be a you problem as opposed to a problem of the overall population.

20. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Kill his other friends. And then approach with a copy of boku no pico to bond with

LivingCorpse likes this.