Discussion How does the portable space work?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by gnessa14, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually, the space has mountains, endless land and self-purified spring, etc. I probably haven't read enough to see a proper explanation for it.

Also, due to time difference, if a character only looks 10 years older after cultivating for 300 years in the space, are they considered 10 years or 300 years older? I'm reading this novel and said character claims they're under 20 to enter a sect after cultivating for 300 years in space. It makes me so mad that I want to drop the novel.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two spaces in cultivation stories, these are mind and reality. Mind "space" is spiritual microcosm created using "qi" while the other is replication of a macrocosm using "qi". The greater the detail, the more stable the laws inside, and the apparent flow of time and space expanding, then it could be an authentic separate dimension becoming real.

300 years older, since appearances can be deceiving in cultivation stories.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  3. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess its some sort of a tesseract kinda like the tardis.

As for the second question, Im not too familiar with cultivation , mentally they passed through 300 years so I would put it at that. Its like would the body of an adult with a mind of a child count as an adult? What about an adult in the body of a child? Depends if you count it biologically or mentally.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Portable spaces are different dimensions, no? Or compressed space. Some are more like realm of the spirit/mind.

As for how the character looks, does it matter? Once you reach a certain cultivation level, you can either control your looks or stop aging. So what difference does it make if you are 10 or 300?

5. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason I'm asking the second question is because in the novel I'm reading, the MC claims they're under 20 to enter a sect after cultivating for 300 years in space. It feels like a huge lie to me which hinders my interest in continuing the novel. I'm just wondering if I'm over-reacting.

6. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    portable space comes with a time-space mod probably.
    not only they got extra storage area, theres also the option of slowing down time!

usually its be 300 years older since the body passed 300 years in time.
    don't cultivation novels have sects checking the bone age? just believing a character is 20 based on their words seems like a total hoax and a novel full of plotholes.

7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It differs depending on to the author, for example:
    in 'The Failed Swordsman Who Became the Strongest After Spamming the 100 Million Years Button' time doesn't seem to affect the MC's appearance in anyway except he does get stronger the more he trains :blobconfused: while in other novels like cultivation ones, MC does get affected mentally and physically
    So just go by the explanation mentioned in the novel and don't think much about it otherwise you might lose interest if you keep worrying about such details for long:blobsweat_2:

gnessa14 likes this.
  8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Portable space is probably like folded space but if you are asking about time, then what you are really asking about is not material space but subjective time and relativism. It's probably the opposite of something like you playing games online then find it's already morning, that time passes faster than what you thought.

It's hardly unique to Eastern mysticism tales, for example, David Weber in his old Fury series uses "slowed time" as a chemical effect where before combat, his "drop commandos" chemically enhance themselves so that they think so fast everything else is like it's happening in slow motion. Or the game F.E.A.R where the player has the ability to "slow time" but it's actually him moving and thinking so fast everything else seems slow.

Either way, the end explanation all depends on the author. If the effect is caused by a mythtical object, cheat cultivation techniques or drugs, it's all on the author.

9. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    It will considered 300 years older in most CN novels cause no matter the dimension, as long you've spent time in there, the time will be add on to your psyche or lifespan which is why, they discourage using space time to train without control.

10. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always thought of a lot of things in xianxias to be exaggerations of concepts that happen in reality. For example, something like killing intent is an exaggerated version of the feeling you get when an intimidating person is staring at you or the weird feeling you get when you feel like someone is watching you.

Likewise, cultivating in a mental realm for a long time is similar to deeply mediating and feeling like you have gained a lot of insight and that hours of time have passed, and then you realise it's actually only been 15 minutes. In this case, you would say that the person is 15 minutes older, not hours older, since the extended amount of time in their mind is just an illusion or technique. You wouldn't say someone is physically older because they have done a lot of introspection, just wiser.

You could say that their mental age or cultivation age or something is older, but it depends how common mental realms are in this world and how they work. It could also be that he is deceiving this sect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.