Question How does this new gun work in RTW ch 1209

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Lazytophat, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Lazytophat

Lazytophat Chicken Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have been reading over these related chapters that describe the new gun that doesn't require manual loading but I can't seem to picture how it appears and how it does the actions described. Can someone explain it better for me or find pictures that are related to it?

2. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    By pressing 'R' probably

Onamatopoeia likes this.
  3. JkengX

JkengX Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably the revolver style rifle instead of the old flint locks.

Edit: sorry, haven't caught up. Might just be like our modern day rifles with magazines.

4. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm not wrong it works by Sawcon

5. Lazytophat

Lazytophat Chicken Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I assumed it worked by Bofa

6. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they make ak
    If by manual loading they mean pulling this "thing" that let out "spend ammo" out of a gun.
    Every murican that read this comment is right now flying to my school to start a shooting
    Edit in short they make full automatic gun/Assault gun that go ratatatata and not rat.... Rat.... Rat.... Rat... Tat

7. Comfortabull

Comfortabull Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: After going through the chapter again, it looks like what the author is trying to describe is gas-operated reloading.

I've highlighted the important bits in the spoiler text.
    Danny took the gun and instantly noticed that the center of the gravity had changed. The gun was, overall, heavier than a regular rifle. Apart from the second tube installed to the barrel, this new gun looked no different than an ordinary bolt rifle used by most of the soldiers in the Gun Battalion, although it was not as well-made as his own high-precision rifle. The biggest change was that this additional metal tube ran all the way to the bottom of the barrel and was connected to the bolt.

This must be the reason that the gun could keep up a steady fire.

Danny took the aim and pulled the triggered. However, instead of locking his eyes on the muzzle, he gazed at the iron tube on one side of the barrel.

As the gun trembled when the bullet escaped from the muzzle, something extraordinary happened. It was just a split second, but Danny noticed the change in the bolt. The rod in the iron tube was pushed forward and then retracted along with the metal shard attached to its end.

This metal shard was normally fixed to the bolt. If someone tried to forcibly pull it, it would get jammed and break the rod. However, the groove in the middle of the shard enabled the bolt to retract and thereby unlock it.

Then, the whole process reversed. The rod retracted to the tube and the bolt returned to its original spot. The metal shard slid back to the bottom and locked the bore again.
    Definitely sounds like gas-operated reloading.

Here's a diagram from wiki showing exactly what the chapter describes:
    [​IMG]

It's a huge technological leap to go from manually cycling the action to unload spent brass then load a new one, to using the gas created from the firing of the weapon to cycle the action and unload/reload automatically.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    There's several types of reloading, pick the one that suits best

1. Powder rifle , individual balls and powder needed to reload each time
    2. Powder rifle , prepacked cartridges, pour some powder and stuff the rest down the barrel
    3. Single-action bolt-action , put one cartridge in , prime and fire
    4. Bolt-action , put either individual or stripper clips of cartridges, then do the bolt movement (not sure of the technical or official terms) between each shot to get ready
    5. Pump-action (not necessarily good for rifles, but hey), use the pump either for the first shot after reloading one or more shots, or for each shot
    6. Semi-action , insert any amount of cartridges that fit the magazine, then just press the trigger between every single shot at your own pace, usually reloaded by magazines
    7. Full-action , reload with any suitable amount of cartridges, then just hold in the trigger until you stop or run out of cartridges
    I'm not a gun expert, but that's more or less how I see it, if anyone else has better classifications without spending much time looking them up and spending an hour or more to make your post (feel free to do that as well), feel free to use them

9. Adibto

Adibto Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Van'er's gun RL counterpart is the SVT-40, since it retains the bod of the bolt action rifle but using the gas mechanism. But it has a bigger ammo capacity which is nice.

10. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link

looked up what @Comfortabull said and yeah that looks about right.

11. Comfortabull

Comfortabull Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Had to edit it when I realized it was the earlier form of DI, gas-operated reloading via a piston. DI is the next step which involves directly using the gas to cycle the action, versus gas-operated which uses the force of the gas to push a rod connected to the bolt carrier group.

What the chapter describes is closer to this:

Both have different pros and cons.
    - DI is lighter, but less reliable
    - Piston is heavier, but more reliable

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018